Insufficient memory in the equipment.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Insufficient memory in the equipment.

Unread post by hidden » 2019-07-16, 15:09

Insufficient memory in the equipment. Save the files and close the following programs:
Palemoon web browser

This splash screen appears when I clear the standby memory on Win7 Pro x64 with RAMMap.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ads/rammap

Only happens with Pale Moon and I wonder why uses standby memory that's not active. Other programs do not produce errors.

Thanks!!

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Insufficient memory in the equipment.

Unread post by satrow » 2019-07-16, 16:05

Device hardware and running software details would help (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49), also page file settings and usage.

RammapDeyails.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-16, 16:34

Maybe you shouldn't be using sysinternals tool if you aren't an IT Professional and don't know what the hell any of it means. Also I doubt it says "Palemoon web browser" cause anything querying Windows Binary Extended Metadata will see "Pale Moon web browser". Move along, this is a non-issue.

hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hidden » 2019-07-16, 17:21

I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm asking because if the Standby memory is not In Use, cleaning it Pale Moon generates a warning on Windows. When with other programs it does not happen.

RAMMap for manual operation

I have scheduled the cleaning of the reserved memory every 10 minutes with https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-07-16, 16:34
Also I doubt it says "Palemoon web browser" cause anything querying Windows Binary Extended Metadata will see "Pale Moon web browser".
I'm sorry for my lack of English, I use online translator. :angel:
Attachments
190716 RAMMap.png

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-07-16, 17:53

I've tried a few "RAM Cleaners" over the years. I have found them to be buggy, inefficient and problematic.

You can probably save a lot of Pale Moon memory by changing the way you work:

Install Lull The Tabs - http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/lull-the-tabs/ - this will probably save you more RAM than your cleaners do.
Don't leave tabs open - use bookmarks.
Restart Pale Moon more often.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-07-16, 17:55

Kill the RAMMap Scheduled Task and post fresh screenshots of those stats at the end of today's session (or ~24 hours if you have long uptimes).

Which software is affected by a high Standby count?

Cleaning Standby every 10 minutes feels way too often.

6 Gb RAM (8 - shared graphics?), try Pale Moon x86 for lower resource usage.

SysMain Service is disabled?

What about other prefetch settings?

SSD drive(s) + HDD - details, inc. free space %?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-16, 18:12

about:memory and hit Minimize Memory Usage a few dozen times.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-17, 01:29

Looking at the screenshots I don't see anything wrong with Pale Moon's memory usage.
I'm not familiar with RamMap, myself, or how it tries to "clear standby memory". If it's similar to other "memory cleaners" then it may try to push programs out of RAM by allocating what it thinks is freeable RAM. Those numbers might be wrong in the case of any Mozilla-based application because it doesn't use typical memory allocation techniques.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-07-17, 01:41

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-17, 01:29
If it's similar to other "memory cleaners" then it may try to push programs out of RAM by allocating what it thinks is freeable RAM. Those numbers might be wrong in the case of any Mozilla-based application because it doesn't use typical memory allocation techniques.
I briefly ran a Firefox extension once that "freed" memory when Firefox was minimized.

Worked fine. But when I restored Firefox, it restored really slow and performance was sluggish, until it settled down again.
Total waste of time.

hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hidden » 2019-07-17, 14:37

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-17, 01:29
Those numbers might be wrong in the case of any Mozilla-based application because it doesn't use typical memory allocation techniques.
Ok, maybe it's because of that.

I have no problem with the memory consumption of Pale Moon, in fact it works fine and nice job, nor do I want to reduce its consumption.

The intention is that the Standby Memory on Windows is always minimal so that when I use any application this is more fluid and faster, in fact it is by more free quantity.

To save in memory something that you have used so that later "it is more rapid", it does not work and the total memory is occupied. When you need free, first you have to clean the previous thing and that's why it's slower.

The objective is that the message of insufficient memory by Pale Moon does not jump from windows when empty Standby Memory, Pale Moon works perfect.

It's not possible well, and is possible best!!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-17, 16:01

How about letting Windows manage its own memory? It does a fine job.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-07-21, 13:55

RAMMap lets Windows Vista and later manage its memory just fine. It's exclusively designed for the NT 6/10 memory model. I only use it manually, to clear the standby and cache occasionally.

I suggest to run that then close that before reloading Pale Moon. For me, it's the only thing that makes NT 6/10 have a RAM usage of anything resembling XP!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-21, 14:25

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-07-21, 13:55
For me, it's the only thing that makes NT 6/10 have a RAM usage of anything resembling XP!
You mean actually having 70+% of it sit unused?
You do realize that cache and especially stand-by memory will be released to programs immediately when a request for memory comes in right? and that it doesn't count against memory that is "in use", meaning it is reported as usable memory to applications...

hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hidden » 2019-07-21, 14:58

If this is the theory, the practice is that many gamers the screen has cuts, by not making windows the erasure correctly and forces to use file page on disk especially on Windows 10:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... dby+memory

I'm testing the same configuration on another computer with 2GB more and I have no warning screen.
This is great! and I see where the problem that originated this thread comes from.

Thank you for your time. ;)

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-07-21, 20:31

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-21, 14:25

You do realize that cache and especially stand-by memory will be released to programs immediately when a request for memory comes in right? and that it doesn't count against memory that is "in use", meaning it is reported as usable memory to applications...
Sadly, I noticed certain situations where a program will scream about there not being enough RAM, if I don't kill the standby and/or cache. Noticed with Intel Burn Test front end to Linpack and it looks likely that Linpack is crying about being OOM...

But Prime95 will wait for Windows to free RAM first.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-22, 01:13

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-07-21, 20:31
I noticed certain situations where a program will scream about there not being enough RAM, if I don't kill the standby and/or cache.
Then the program in question likely needs to be updated to use current-day API queries to get the correct information.