HughesNet and issue with TLS 1.2

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

HughesNet and issue with TLS 1.2

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2019-06-28, 21:42

I just moved to HughesNet from Wildblue. When logging into my account on the hughesnet.com site I get a dialog with the following message:

Attention. You are currently using a version of Mozilla Firefox that does not support the latest security protocols. Soon, Hughes will stop supporting secure transactions that do not use the latest security protocol (TLS 1.2).

It was my impression that Pale Moon IS using TLS 1.2? This is Pale Moon 28.5.2, on Windows 10. HughesNet is the only site (including all my financial sites) where I get this sort of message.

Anything I can do to make Pale Moon look "right" to HughesNet? I honestly don't miss Firefox, and am not interested in keeping it around and updated for one specific site.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HughesNet and issue with TLS 1.2

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-29, 01:34

Pale Moon fully supports TLS 1.2 (and 1.3!). The message you are seeing is because of woeful misdetection of Pale Moon by their website (most likely useragent sniffing on the rv: part which is our Goanna version, that might make them think you are using Firefox 4...). I suggest you report it to them so they can fix it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2019-06-29, 01:59

Thanks Moonchild. I'll send up a ticket there. So far, they've been pretty responsive....

Sylvermoon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sylvermoon » 2019-07-30, 22:42

Well.... all this time, talking to various people about this, with no results - and now they want to send an on-site tech rep to mess with my computer, and charge me $100 US!

Is there a general.useragent.override line I could add that would obviate this issue?