Context menu improvement

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pkrasimirov

Context menu improvement

Unread post by pkrasimirov » 2019-06-14, 11:50

Here's a "bug report" as in "I delete some Palemoon files and then it does not work as I want it" bug :)

But still it can be improved I think, probably it's just an "if" statement in the UI menu generation or something. Anyway.

How to break it: go to C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\browser\searchplugins and delete everything inside. I do this because I do not want the auto-search to "help me" when I mistype a URL in the Palemoon address bar. This way it works -- the malformed URL goes nowhere and I simply correct it. When there is no "default search engine" there is no "default" (i.e. unwanted) searching.

What breaks is the right-click menu, you know, the one starting with "Open Link in New Tab" etc. and ending with "Inspect Element (Q)". This menu becomes huge, with all kind of options like "Copy video location" etc. That is for any content, I click on a link and it offers me to "Pause" among others. My problem is that "Copy Link Location" option disappears and I cannot check where links lead to before opening.

When there is at least one search engine defined I see menu option "Search DuckDuckGo for "abc". Perhaps that is where it breaks when there's unexpected DuckDuckGo==null.

Feel free to ignore if that's not what you want to fix. Thank you for all your work anyway and have a great day!

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Context menu improvement

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-14, 12:04

Consider yourself ignored. Also not elegable for support and the reason Mozilla takes away the ability to customize anything. You are more than ignored you are the problem that has contributed to broader issues we have faced.

Not merely because of your general stupidity because everyone has that right but your willingness to share it and ask for changes based on it.

pkrasimirov

Unread post by pkrasimirov » 2019-06-14, 13:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-06-14, 12:04
Consider yourself ignored. Also not elegable for support and the reason Mozilla takes away the ability to customize anything. You are more than ignored you are the problem that has contributed to broader issues we have faced.

Not merely because of your general stupidity because everyone has that right but your willingness to share it and ask for changes based on it.
"Us vs. Them" false dilema -- check. Faulty generalization -- check. Personal attack -- check. The one thing that you ("New Tobin Paradigm") did not do is to ignore me (actually my post).

"Elegable for support"...? I don't think there are any such obligations in OSS. Anyone (including me) can do the requested change, there are no "support employees". Seriously, feel free to ignore if you (anyone, the current reader) don't want to do or read this.
----
The whole point for this post is the assumption an "if" statement in the menu generation code will be enough to make it work without any "search engine". Should it be more complex than that I expect someone to say so: exotic use-case, low impact, high change cost --> not worth the effort, closed. Another valid argument would be "we don't want people to have 0 search engines" for whatever reason, even without explaination. "You are stupid" and "you are the problem" are never valid arguments.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-06-14, 13:55

You should not break the browser like this! The browser is not meant to be modified in this way, and deleting stuff in Program Files to fix a personal preference is akin to using the moon to hammer in a nail.

Just go into about:config and set keyword.enabled to false. This will force the browser to interpret anything you put into the address bar as an address rather than a search term.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

pkrasimirov

Unread post by pkrasimirov » 2019-06-14, 14:00

Isengrim wrote:
2019-06-14, 13:55
Just go into about:config and set keyword.enabled to false.
Thank you, good sir. I will definitely test that approach. I remember trying to use settings to achieve the same but to no avail. But I only used the UI Preferences from the main menu. Please enjoy the weekend!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-14, 15:53

Don't expect any help when you start willy-nilly deleting/altering files that make up the browser program.
That's not a personal attack, and stating as such also isn't. It's a simple matter of realistic expectations: if you screw with the program files, you are entirely on your own.

I suggest you reinstall Pale Moon with the installer, then implement the suggested fix in a normal way.
Tip for the future: ask first, delete later ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite