Peculiar behaviour just appeared with version27

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Peculiar behaviour just appeared with version27

Unread post by cannonmc » 2019-06-02, 14:27

Windows 7. I have not altered my OS or installed or deleted any new software (or hardware, come to that).

I have PM 27 and 28 installed. I use 27 as the preferred one for my own reasons. I use private browsing and have changed nothing in my browser setting's

No particular problems with 27.

Then I noticed a week or so ago if I clicked on a youtube link, the video played but the seek bar showed 0:00 unless I refreshed the page and then if I clicked another link I had to refresh the page for it to play at all.

Last week two sites I use regularly, one my TV guide, stopped asking me to accept cookies and agree their privacy policy as per EU GDPR when I used v27 and I could browse with no problem. Although if I use v28 I get the privacy pop-ups which I have to accept before I can do anything.

Then yesterday I made an online grocery order using v27, entered all my payment details. The bank insists on a verification before it authorises the payment and I got a spinning 'busy' circle and it wouldn't accept payment. This was very odd as I'd made two orders to the same site using the same browser and details only a week before and the payment sailed through as it has for the past few years.

I rang the online store and they suggested I try using Internet Explorer (!!!). I told him I hadn't used that in years but I would just try using v28 and the payment went through immediately.

Now I stress I had changed nothing, the store had had no other reports and my bank was pitiful.

I will still use v27 for everyday but I just know to use v28 for the final payment if I have problems.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this change of behaviour in particular.

PS Using 27 for this post...

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Peculiar behaviour just appeared with version27

Unread post by van p » 2019-06-02, 14:37

Sorry, I can't offer any actual help. But I gotta believe when somebody with actual authority/expertise comes on they're gonna tell you v27 isn't supported any more and you're on your own. Maybe I'll be surprised.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-06-02, 14:43

I'll guess it's JavaScript.
Towards the end of my time with 27 I started to get JS problems.
28 is a lot better.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-02, 15:28

Unfortunately, v27 only has limited support for the JavaScript features that websites expect in 2019, especially sites like YouTube (that only cater to Chrome, really, because that's their company's browser). In addition, other sites may change their scripting to cater to newer browsers (and some standards have been changed to become incompatible with older implementations too).

So, van p is pretty much correct: whatever personal reasons you have for wanting to use v27, its usefulness on the changing web will continue to decline. For obvious reasons we can't provide any support for things that have already been fixed in the new milestone, and continuing to use v27 is at your own peril (and risk -- there are several security issues with v27 versions that are not only severe, but also public and used in the wild. You risk having one of those vulnerabilities exploited when using the browser, even if you have stringent content blocking in place).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2019-06-08, 21:57

Thanks for those replies. Sorry I took so long to get back but I had ticked the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' and I didn't hear anything so assumed no-one had replied.

I think I will continue to use a mix :)