freezes on memory intensive websites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CircuitBreaker

freezes on memory intensive websites

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2019-05-20, 13:59

Hello.

Using PM v28.5.0 (x64) in win7x64 with 16gig of ram and SSD storage.
I use an intranet site, which renders lot of dynamic tables. (imagine google spreadsheet/excel with lots of row and columns)
When the content of a page is below 1500 tables, it works absolutely fine.
But when the page has more number of tables, PM became sluggish and occasionally out-of sync and time-outs.
greater number of tables slower the browser, at about 3500 table the website is absolutely unstable. (for reference- FF in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with 3gig ram still render this state without any hiccups)

Hardware acceleration is set to True.
I have changed and set 512Mb in Override automatic cache management (Setting > Advance > Network) which shows little improvement. (tested with 1024 mb memory allocation, no changes observed with higher memory allocation )
At any given time, windows task manager shows maximum use of ~430 -480mb memory used by palemoon, i have tested with 1 tab open or 20 various tab open, this usage is never cross 500mb of ram usage.

Is there any particular setting which i can tweak to allocate more memory to Palemoon... So that it can comfortably render larger number of tables ?

Any other suggestion is highly appreciated.

TIA

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: freezes on memory intensive websites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-20, 16:01

If you mean you're using large tables with > 1500 rows, then yes that will eventually hit a bottleneck because such pages are generating huge DOM structures within single visual elements. Increasing your cache size or throwing more RAM at the browser won't make a difference because this is a rendering and layout bottleneck. Web pages and their underlying structures aren't necessarily designed to handle huge data structures or the display of them, and Pale Moon does not focus on that kind of edge-case use.

Of course we welcome any offered performance improvements in that area, but our core development focuses primarily on web browsing, not web applications.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CircuitBreaker

Re: freezes on memory intensive websites

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2019-05-20, 18:46

thanks for the reply.