Webcam help!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SLotman

Webcam help!

Unread post by SLotman » 2019-05-19, 04:22

My old laptop died (both screen and HD), and now I have a new one with (URG) Windows 10. Manage to salvage Palemoon and my profile, so everything is working on the new one... except for the webcam.

Accessing this site, and it works on Firefox and Opera. On Palemoon it doesn't detect the camera and it doesn't ask permission to use it either. And its not only that site, every site is behaving the same.

I tried cleaning cache. Tried running on 'safe mode'. Disabling / enabling hardware acceleration. "Gecko/Firefox/Native' compatibility. Tried even installing Flash to see if things would improve. Nothing worked.

I KNOW webcam works on Palemoon - I have this same "backup' running on an old computer, and its working. But not on this laptop.

Is there anything I can do? Anything I can test? Help, please!
Last edited by SLotman on 2019-05-19, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

SLotman

Re: Webcam help!

Unread post by SLotman » 2019-05-19, 05:01

Maybe this has something to do with the webcam control/security on Windows 10? Palemoon doesn't appear on the webcam allow/deny list, so I don't know what to do :(

I tried all I can. Not even setting compatibility mode to Windows 8 through Windows 95 it works :(

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-05-19, 06:18

I don't think webcam should "work" on Pale Moon as it does require WebRTC which is not included in Pale Moon. If it works in your older installation, chances are you were using Flash or similar plugin to access it in the browser.

SLotman

Unread post by SLotman » 2019-05-19, 06:51

It worked on Windows 8. It works on a Win7 machine. Here, even with Flash installed it doesn't. (Same Palemoon version on all three tests - when my old laptop died, I first copied what I could to the old Win7 machine, and now to this new one with Win10).

The same 'plugins' are installed on all cases, so if it works in one, it should work on another (btw: the only 'plugin' installed is Flash)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-19, 09:31

Just a shot in the dark.

The webcam driver for your old laptop used in Windows 7 might not work for your new laptop with Windows 10.

Have you tried installing a newer updated webcam driver in your new laptop using Windows 10?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox