Netflix DRM error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
brianwall

Netflix DRM error

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-08, 20:29

I'm new to Pale Moon and so far am impressed. However Netflix returns a DRM Error N8 156-6023

I can't find any DRM settings in about:config or settings. I can't find anything relevant in a forum search. I had Adblock Latitude running but disabling it made no difference.

Palemoon v28.5.0 64 bit Win 10 1903

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Netflix DRM error

Unread post by doofy » 2019-05-08, 21:48

Pale Moon does not support DRM

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-05-08, 22:00

Try Basilisk (supports DRM)
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-08, 22:08

Just install Silverlight. Still works as of last month.

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 04:47

I did install Silverlight when prompted by Netflix. The DRM error comes up just as the video begins to play. Shame PM doesn't support DRM. Any reason why not? And is Basilisk fully operational?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-09, 04:53

You are obviously doing something wrong.

0d79846a-652f-4264-b0a8-b00813e258b2.jpg

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 04:54

Sorry just looked at Basilisk like I should have done before posting!! I really like PM so will stick with it and use Edge for Netflix, no big deal, but still would like to know why PM doesn't support DRM. Is it technical or deliberate?

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 04:59

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-09, 04:53
You are obviously doing something wrong.

0d79846a-652f-4264-b0a8-b00813e258b2.jpg
Ah but it might be specific to certain programs might'n it?
2019-05-09 06_56_17-Window.png
I checked a few other tv series and got the same error. I live in Spain and have no problem with any Netflix program in other browsers but maybe PM's locale is upsetting Netflix?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-09, 07:15

If you've properly installed Silverlight 5 (and it shows up in your plugins section of the add-on manager), and made sure that DRM in Silverlight is enabled in its settings (which is the default!), then Netflix works just fine in the current version of Pale Moon!

Silverlight options can be accessed from your start menu/start panel, under "Microsoft Silverlight"
silverlight1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 10:09

My Silverlight settings look identical to your screen grab. It is showing correctly in addons and is set to always on. You saw the error I got though......, what can be wrong at my end???

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-09, 10:23

Check your about:config preferences. If there is a preference for general.useragent.override or specifically general.useragent.override.netflix.com that is shown in bold, then you should reset it (right-click -> reset). Also, if you have any user agent spoofing "privacy" extensions, you must disable them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 10:53

checked the netflix user agent overide. Made no difference. Don't have a clue about agent spoofing. This is a day old install of Pale Moon with google translate and adblock latitude (currently turned off).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-09, 13:00

What made no difference? Was it set to something non-standard, is that what you are saying?

brianwall

Unread post by brianwall » 2019-05-09, 14:57

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-09, 13:00
What made no difference? Was it set to something non-standard, is that what you are saying?
I was replying to Moonchilds suggestion. It was indeed highlighted but resetting it didn't make a difference.

Foxxe Wilder

Unread post by Foxxe Wilder » 2019-05-22, 19:58

I am having a similar issue with NetFlix (running Pale Moon in Win 7),
The Error code is N8156-6023 which is, of course totally useless UNLESS they had some sort of support channel.

All I get from the Silverlight plugin is this: (see attached)

As you can see, there is NO config screen at all!

Tried a total reinstall but nothing is working on that end. Silverlight is one of those newer MS "toys" that never ever made any sense to me at all. (in fact if Netflix never existed, I'd have absolutely NO USE for it at all)
Attachments
Silverlight plugin.jpg

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2019-05-23, 00:03

@Foxxe Wilder: Welcome to the forum!

Follow Moonchild's instructions here: Silverlight options

Also, make sure you are allowing Application storage which is shown in the image below. The default is to enable Application Storage.
Silverlight.PNG

Foxxe Wilder

Unread post by Foxxe Wilder » 2019-05-23, 02:31

As I said in my previous post, that configuration window doesn't exist on my system (trust me, I've hunted all over for it), so any remarks in regards to any possible settings on it are moot until some way is discovered to show/find it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-23, 03:15

When you install silverlight it will add an entry to your start menu/start panel, which is where you can find the silverlight settings panel.

Foxxe Wilder

Unread post by Foxxe Wilder » 2019-05-23, 03:26

Silverlight IS installed!! THAT is the baffling part!

it shows on the addons page but shows nothing more than what I posted earlier.

There are NO OPTIONS AT ALL, just the activation dropdown menu (which I have tested at Ask to Activate as well as Always Activate, but nothing is working at all)

This, to date is the ONLY function that I cannot access. (extra note, the cookies button completely disappeared from preferences so I can't see whether 3rd party is on or not)

It's a pity because after Mozilla went insane with their browser (I've been with them since Netscape v1.3) and killed off most of the plugin support and added nag screens to any site that doesn't use https (this is a real pain in the ass as you cannot disengage the nag no matter what you do)

Foxxe Wilder

Unread post by Foxxe Wilder » 2019-05-23, 03:44

update: Found the hidden cookies button. Changed history to "custom" and it showed back up (not sure WHY or HOW it got hidden in the first place though)