Format for URL shortcut file so that PaleMoon will open the link inside

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
firefoxed

Re: Format for URL shortcut file so that PaleMoon will open the link inside

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-05-07, 14:51

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
2019-05-07, 14:12
the issue is in some way opening stand-alone ".url" files
Yes, that's exactly right, you got it. :) Sorry if I didn't explain more clearly in the post where I just pasted a screenshot, I was having the sensation we were talking around each other and thought the picture would help.
In Windows, just as lnk files are shortcuts to files on the file system, url files are "shortcuts" to web pages. Usually you create them via something like right-click / new / shortcut.

Here's a description of url files.

But nowadays url files are being abandonned in favor of urls files (with an s) because they are much more useful and easy to make and modify. ;)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-05-07, 16:02

I've never done this -- so looking into this I find the following results (note that the way you want to presumably create a URL file to open a webpage in PM is further down in my post pointed out in larger RED text) (assuming I'm understanding your goal correctly) ;) .

If I right-click on a webpage to get the right-click context menu I can do the following (you can skip this if you want because it is not want your asking about presumably -- but I'm just including this to show this works as well as far as opening websites in PM):
1) I get the "Save Page As..." option:
right-click context - Save Page As.png
2) Where I can save the webpage as such:
Save as type -- Web Page, complete.png
3) Which gives the the file as such:
saved as dot htm file.png
4) As a result I can click on this "HTM" file and open the webpage in PM.

But as I understand it, you want to open a webpage included in a "URL" file (not a "HTM" file)..... so.... perhaps this is what you are wanting to do below. :think:

If I create the following: 1) In Notepad I enter the following two lines:
saved text in url file to open webpage in PM browser.png
of which for reference I got this info from the following linked website: How to Create a URL File.
2) And Save this file as a "URL" file (using Save As) I get the following "File Properties" for the saved "URL" file:
Google shortcut saved as url file.png
3) And finally I find that this file will open the Google webpage in my PM browser.

Is this what you wanted to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2019-05-07, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-07, 16:09

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:02
Didn't they say several posts back that they already have a workaround that they're happy with?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-05-07, 16:11

Yes, you got it. You can see in my original post that the content of my .url file is very similar to the one you just posted.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-05-07, 16:14

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:09
Didn't they say several posts back that they already have a workaround that they're happy with?
Not only that, the solution is better than what I originally hoped for.

I wish there was a way in the forum to mark topics like this one [SOLVED]. :)
That would make the forum a bit cleaner. But I don't see a way of doing it at the moment.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-05-07, 16:15

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:09
Pale Moon Rising wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:02
Yes, but as far as I can see the "workaround" involves numerous more complicated steps involving multiple files as opposed to two steps and involving just creating the one "URL" file (which is what I am presuming was the goal). Could of course be wrong once again -- I'm good at being wrong. :lol: (I'll bow out now....)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-05-07, 16:28

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:15
as opposed to two steps and involving just creating the one "URL" file
If you carefully read my original post, you will see that your solution is actually my point of departure. The whole point of the post was that these URL files, which I have no trouble creating (and of which I gave an example in the original post) are not handled correctly by Windows on my machine.

I tried to state exactly that in the original post — sorry that it wasn't clear.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-05-07, 16:51

Thanks for the follow-up -- it's not at all that your not clear -- it's just that I have poor reading comprehension. :lol:

So then I take it in your specific case what should work doesn't on your WIN10 OS for some reason and it's mystery as to why that is the case.
Off-topic:
Hmm, so then I'm not the only one that experiences events that amount to very "strange" inexplicable out-of-this-world oddities. :)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-07, 17:10

firefoxed wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:14
That would make the forum a bit cleaner. But I don't see a way of doing it at the moment.
Yeah, unfortunately we lost that function when the forum was upgraded a few weeks ago. Hopefully it (or a similar function) will be restored at some point.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-05-07, 17:35

Thanks guys. You rock.

And @Pale Moon Rising please know that I truly appreciate your genuine desire to help and all the work you've done to help solve my problem. Between the explanations and screenshots it was spectacular, and I'm sorry we didn't understand each other as I didn't mean to waste your time.

Signing off for today (famous last words),
ff

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-05-10, 14:08

Off-topic:
Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-07, 17:10
firefoxed wrote:
2019-05-07, 16:14
Yeah, unfortunately we lost that function when the forum was upgraded a few weeks ago. Hopefully it (or a similar function) will be restored at some point.
I, too, would like to see it made possible again(?) for the the OP to mark an issue [SOLVED].
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version