captchas, captchas everywhere

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gmaslin

Re: captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-15, 18:36

@Nigaikaze
I'm using the portable version and there is no "Help" evident anywhere.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-15, 18:36

Or about: or via the scratchpad with javascript or reading application.ini or via a hex editor. There lots of ways to find your current version.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-05-15, 18:40

RealityRipple wrote:
2019-05-03, 19:54
Pretty sure this basically boils down to a fundamental question: how do you uniquely identify a browser on a device? The answer is that you don't because that's called "tracking" and it's been a big thing to try to stop it. So how do websites "remember" you? They usually use your IP address and your User Agent. So what happens when you update your browser and the version number changes? If the programmer is smart and also knows the format of your user agent, they ignore the version numbers that change over time and assume the rest of the agent data is unique enough to identify a user on a device.
A home user cannot be identified by IP address, since they are dynamic for home users. They change from time to time, and as for user-agent, if you are using a fairly common browser, that would not be a good identifier either. Sites that want to identify visitors use cookies and passwords (and sometimes super-cookies of various types, or try to anyway).

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-15, 18:46

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:36
I'm using the portable version and there is no "Help" evident anywhere.
When I fire up the portable version, it's right there. If you have the menu bar hidden, click the blue "Pale Moon" button and "Help" is at the bottom of the left column. Or hit your alt key and the menu bar will show up, and "Help" is one of the options on the menu bar. If you still can't find it after that, I can't help you, cuz either of those should be blatantly obvious unless you've made some major changes to your UI.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-15, 18:49

Off-topic:
cartel wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:44
WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?
If you keep shouting, there's a good chance you will end up being mocked. (More so than usual.)

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-15, 18:51

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:49
Off-topic:
cartel wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:44
WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?
If you keep shouting, there's a good chance you will end up being mocked. (More so than usual.)
does it TRIGGER YOU?
Mock all day.
ImageImage

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-15, 19:09

Off-topic:
cartel wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:51
does it TRIGGER YOU?
Unlike you, I have no triggers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-15, 19:12

Note, if you're going to be an ass in your own thread, I will also lock it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-05-15, 23:33

Goodydino wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:40
RealityRipple wrote:
2019-05-03, 19:54
Pretty sure this basically boils down to a fundamental question: how do you uniquely identify a browser on a device? The answer is that you don't because that's called "tracking" and it's been a big thing to try to stop it. So how do websites "remember" you? They usually use your IP address and your User Agent. So what happens when you update your browser and the version number changes? If the programmer is smart and also knows the format of your user agent, they ignore the version numbers that change over time and assume the rest of the agent data is unique enough to identify a user on a device.
A home user cannot be identified by IP address, since they are dynamic for home users. They change from time to time, and as for user-agent, if you are using a fairly common browser, that would not be a good identifier either. Sites that want to identify visitors use cookies and passwords (and sometimes super-cookies of various types, or try to anyway).
Passwords only work if the user has an account on the site (not a given) and don't work as verification at all if the entire purpose of your identification process is to prompt for a Captcha or second-factor password. Cookies of any supposed durability are never truly reliable. There are, in truth, no reliable ways of tracking a user. So most sites use a combination of all of these (and sometimes other things like WebGL Benchmarking) to try to narrow things down. For example, while the last octet of an IP might change quite frequently, the first two almost never will unless the user switches ISPs, and the third is usually one of two or three options. User Agents tend to be used less and less, true, but they are still used, and often stored in some readable format so the user can see what browsers at what ips/locations have been using their account, so keeping them in for "good measure" is still considered standard practice.

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-16, 16:07

I discovered the source of my difficulties. The menu bar is disabled by default, it is now enabled. I'm using 28.4 and my settings inform me of updates without installing them. While I was there, I disabled my history but didn't note a setting for cookies. I don't see that as a problem since the addons deal with it. The more I use Palemoon the more I am appreciating the experience it provides :)

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2019-05-16, 19:42

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-16, 16:07
I disabled my history but didn't note a setting for cookies.
Tools->Preferences->Privacy->History (use custom settings for history)

cookies.jpg
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-17, 14:15

Thanks, for some reason the options were grayed out before. I restarted the browser and the options reappeared.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2019-05-17, 18:11

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-17, 14:15
Thanks, for some reason the options were grayed out before. I restarted the browser and the options reappeared.
You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out. ;)
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

BlakeyRat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by BlakeyRat » 2019-06-18, 03:00

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-03, 08:37
OK, so let's cut a few things short, shall we?
  • If you are using "privacy enhancing" extensions, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
  • If you randomize your user agent, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
  • If you block JavaScript in whole or in part, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas. This is a big marker for many anti-bot checks because bot clients tend to be very rudimentary and don't support JS.
  • If you use public proxies, pseudo-VPN or anonymity networks, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
If any of the above apply to you, then don't blame anyone but yourself.
I'm not doing any of those things, and a couple of weeks ago I suddenly started having problems with Captchas. The one that is a real pain in the butt is NewEgg. I've never had a problem before, but now, I have to go through at least 20 of them before it will let me log in. (click on all the cars, click on all the busses, click on all the traffic lights, etc......).

I've tried disabling uBlock Origin (the only extension I use). Didn't help. Tried changing the useragent to Chrome. Didn't help.

But if I use Firefox or Internet Explorer I can log in just fine with no Captcha.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-06-18, 07:15

Yeah, for me Newegg is a real bitch. Other than that I don't get very many captchas unless it's for a registration or somewhere where a captcha is warranted. I don't even get a captcha at Amazon.

This is why I keep a plain vanilla Firefox install.

The damn captcha is reading some other metric and being discriminatory which is BS.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-18, 12:43

BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-06-18, 03:00
The one that is a real pain in the butt is NewEgg
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-06-18, 07:15
Yeah, for me Newegg is a real bitch.
Complain to NewEgg? If they want to keep you as a customer, they really should do something about it
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-06-19, 00:15

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-06-18, 07:15
Yeah, for me Newegg is a real bitch.
Sounds like the issue I have with Discord, albeit I can't tell what engine it's using. And of course, starkly reminds me of 27.x.x. :(

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-06-19, 11:45

I guess we all just need to complain and complain....and complain. Because this shit won't get fixed until enough PM users say, "you know what? Your god damn captcha is a miserable bitch, so ditch it and find something else!"

I think one of the biggest issues is that it's easy for for many if not all sites to use Google for their captcha needs and when you have Google in charge of that then they can discriminate on what browser is allowed though or not and that's rank horse shit.

Just the other day I tried using a contact form not just with this browser, but with Firefox and Chrome. I couldn't get through due to the spinning captcha BS. Now this particular website and media presentation has been shunned by media circles and had their accounts banned at different social media websites. So it makes me think that perhaps Google isn't allowing the captcha to complete with their API on that site. It could be the WordPress plugin, but I have my doubts.

I'd stay far away from Google Recaptcha BS if I ran a site. I for one don't use it. In fact, I use the same captcha this site uses in my phpBB board.

Aviation
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Aviation » 2019-07-27, 13:35

There's only one solution for general captcha solving & only having to click "i'm not a robot" (at times & excluding pictures & sound resolvation),
by asking the author of "buster" addon to make a palemoon version or have an admin from palemoon
converting it for palemoon.

It's the quickest way.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-07-30, 17:31

Craigslist has the stupid captcha again and of course it dont work.
:coffee:
ImageImage