captchas, captchas everywhere

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-19, 17:09

FWIW, I get a Captcha request every time I attempt to log into Amazon. I have even uninstalled any blocking addons, then clear cache and cookies, and try it again and still get the Captcha request. Every time. I don't randomize my user agent, no VPNs, etc.. I've asked Amazon before and their agent says my browser uses "too many" tracking or add blockers. I tell them all my settings have been checked and blockers disabled or that I had none installed at the time since I've questioned them a few times about this. I questioned them today again. Same answer. Blame it on the browser. Yet, I can log in every damn time I tried it, which has been twice now, with Chrome. I tell Amazon I don't want to use another browser. Their reply, "We can't change our settings to accommodate every browser."

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-08-20, 05:49

Splat wrote:
2019-08-19, 17:09
I get a Captcha request every time I attempt to log into Amazon.
I just logged on to Amazon.com and didn't get a Captcha. Don't remember that ever happening. I don't have any meaningful extensions, plugins, addons, ding dongs, flip flaps, or anything else.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 08:28

No captcha for me on Amazon either. I got an e-mail verification step, but no captcha.
I think Amazon only thows that up if your IP is "suspect", because I've only seen it when connecting through a VPN, myself.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-20, 22:46

Splat, is the ISP you're with Comcast?
IIRC, the Google search engine was giving me the dreaded unusual-traffic notice and making me take a CAPTCHA test, when I was with Comcast.
It made me wonder if it was the ISP making extraneous connections.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-21, 08:24

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-18, 15:49
Off-topic:
And people still continue ignoring XMPP as both a "roll-your-own" and federated, or use someone's server, option. :) It's actually kind of amusing.
Off-topic:
XMPP came too late to make a difference, I think the draft was finalized around 2003-04 by which time everyone was already using proprietary AOL/MSN/Yahoo messenger. Also it's apparently not so great because there's no consistency in implementing its features. There's another open and federated system called Matrix but same story, network effect ensures it won't catch on. Imagine if email hadn't remained an open standard and we had multiple incompatible messaging providers with their own data silos.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-21, 08:35

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-08-20, 22:46
IIRC, the Google search engine was giving me the dreaded unusual-traffic notice and making me take a CAPTCHA test, when I was with Comcast.
I have Comcrap and have had no such captcha issues once so ever unless it was for the purposes of keeping out bots. Like logins, etc. In which case I just paste the link in my plain vanilla install of FF and go from there. Ain't no one got time for the captcha shit. :lol: Sad fact of it is, Google DOES discriminate on the browser and that's bullshit.

As a test, run your IP through these sites and see what might pick up. If Shodan shows something, you have some real issues to work out.

https://www.shodan.io/

https://www.projecthoneypot.org/search_ip.php

http://www.blocklist.de/en/search.html

https://abuseipdb.com/

https://www.megarbl.net/index.php

Other than Shodan, if you see your IP listed at any one of those sites, chances are your "sticky" IP was used for malicious crap prior to you acquiring your IP. Thus Google might think you're a nasty no, no. :lol:

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-21, 13:12

I can't recall seeing the Google search engine complaining about "unusual traffic" with VTel FTTH. I had Comcast from June 12, 2016 to to February 24, 2018. With my own setup from June 18, 2016 (or near there) to February 24, 2018.
And had a fresh router from them (XB3) from August 2, 2016 to February 24, 2018 and the LEDs dimmed on that router by a lot in just about a year-in-half, LOL :crazy:

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-21, 16:06

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-08-20, 22:46
Yes, Comcast. Just tried it again and got another Captcha request. Yesterday after posting I went thru my settings again, changing some cookie settings for the helluvit. Still got Captcha. Like I told Amazon. I don't want to use another browser. As for Google, I reported that long ago. Taking forever to load, or not loading at all, yet try Chrome and it's fine. Bastids. Oh, and my IP history is fine from what I've researched.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-21, 20:09

Splat, does Google's search give you an unusual-traffic notice and make you do a simple CAPTCHA test, which was only letters and numbers, the last time that I can recall. When clicking to go to another search-results page?

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-08-22, 01:13

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-20, 08:28
No captcha for me on Amazon either. I got an e-mail verification step, but no captcha.
e-mail verification step every login now
ImageImage

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-08-22, 05:02

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-20, 08:28
I got an e-mail verification step, but no captcha.
I'm not sure one is better than the other, although, I guess I'd rather get the captcha. Anything extra is still a second step. In any event, I just signed in again and still no problem. I even bungled my password on the first login attempt, and Amazon.com still didn't give me any grief. Blessed, I guess. I should buy more stuff from 'em.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-22, 11:53

If you have a router connected to your modem and use Comcast, you can change your IP using the router's MAC address clone feature. Simply change the last six characters in hexadecimal to something random, save and reboot the modem (not the router), wait for resync and you should have a new IP address. This may or may not help with an IP that has a bad reputation for what ever reason.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-22, 13:13

I have been using Amazon for many years and have never gotten a captcha or a email verification. It may be due to he fact that I have all Amazon login cookies protected (have been protected 6 years or so) so that I am auto logged in whenever I open an Amazon page.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-23, 22:32

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-08-21, 20:09
Splat, does Google's search give you an unusual-traffic notice and make you do a simple CAPTCHA test, which was only letters and numbers, the last time that I can recall. When clicking to go to another search-results page?
Very seldomly, but usually no.

Sorry, I should have noted I did the router mac clone when this first started and no change. Thanks tho.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-24, 08:08

Splat wrote:
2019-08-23, 22:32
RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-08-21, 20:09
Very seldomly, but usually no.

Sorry, I should have noted I did the router mac clone when this first started and no change. Thanks tho.
Well, since this doesn't happen to me, or a lot of other people, I suspect an add-on or some browser configuration there. I don't know what else to say.

DId you make sure to look at your old IP and compare it with a possible new IP you may have got with a MAC address change? I only know this to work with Comcast. DSL and everything else in between I don't know about. It may or may not work with other ISPs. And I know it definitely won't work for a Sat Internet connection. That's a different ball game there and I think your IP changes from connection to connection anyway.

Just for the heck of it. Have you tried a plain vanilla PM portable version to see if you still get a captcha or email verification? But again, are you absolutely sure your IP did in fact change?

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-24, 22:13

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-24, 08:08
Well, since this doesn't happen to me, or a lot of other people, I suspect an add-on or some browser configuration there. I don't know what else to say.
Literally just tried a fresh PM install with nothing changed, added, etc.. using the default created profile and this time I did NOT get a Captcha request. I had already did this before I first posted to this thread so this is very interesting why it worked now. Every..single.. time I tried it with Opera or Chrome I get no Captchas though. The only blocker I use in PM is Adblock Latitude 5.1 and I have tested with it totally uninstalled. I've went thru my PM and firewall settings numerous times. I'm going to uninstall, do a fresh install of PM again, import just bookmarks and logins and see what happens.
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-24, 08:08
Just for the heck of it. Have you tried a plain vanilla PM portable version to see if you still get a captcha or email verification? But again, are you absolutely sure your IP did in fact change?
It took many tries before I got new IP from Comcast but it did change, yes. Even after the Mac change I still get the Captchas from Amazon.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-25, 10:13

If you got a new IP, then it's browser related. Perhaps the fact you're blocking something in Adblock Latitude that the website wants.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-25, 11:16

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-25, 10:13
If you got a new IP, then it's browser related.
Not necessarily, because nobody knows what Amazon't captcha policy is except Amazon. They may have blacklisted entire subnets that have abused their login with bots.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-26, 03:54

I doubt it. Especially ASNs belonging to residential ISPs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-26, 10:22

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-26, 03:54
I doubt it. Especially ASNs belonging to residential ISPs.
What, you think residential subnets are somehow immune to being botnet sources? :lol: