captchas, captchas everywhere

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-26, 16:10

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-25, 10:13
If you got a new IP, then it's browser related. Perhaps the fact you're blocking something in Adblock Latitude that the website wants.
Getting a new IP is not browser related, and I've already stated that it's not Adblock related from my testing.
Last edited by Splat on 2019-08-26, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-26, 16:56

Just did fresh PM install and imported bookmarks and logins. Was able to log into Amazon with no Captcha request. Replaced default profile with mine. Adblock uninstalled. Cleared cache and any Amazon cookies. Rebooted PM. Get the Captcha request again. Cleared cache and any Amazon cookies again. I manually checked for anything Adblock related in my profile folder. There was an adblock folder still there so I deleted it. Rebooted PM. Still get Captcha. I just tried this same thing on my laptop testing with fresh and saved profiles. I also compared PM settings between my profile and the default profile PM creates during install. No differences in settings. There has to be something different in my saved profile that's causing Amazon to always trigger Captcha request but I just don't see it. I'm going to uninstall PM, fresh install, import logins, bookmarks, and addons and see what happens. If I get no Captcha request I'll stay with that profile. :thumbup:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-27, 05:38

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-26, 10:22
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-26, 03:54
I doubt it. Especially ASNs belonging to residential ISPs.
What, you think residential subnets are somehow immune to being botnet sources? :lol:
No, not at all. I get traffic for hacked routers all the time. But I never ban the IP address. It's just served a 403. Blocking whole swaths of residential IP addresses doesn't seem like something Amazon ( a cloud provider themselves) would do.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-27, 05:41

Splat wrote:
2019-08-26, 16:56
Just did fresh PM install and imported bookmarks and logins. Was able to log into Amazon with no Captcha request. Replaced default profile with mine. Adblock uninstalled. Cleared cache and any Amazon cookies. Rebooted PM. Get the Captcha request again. Cleared cache and any Amazon cookies again. I manually checked for anything Adblock related in my profile folder. There was an adblock folder still there so I deleted it. Rebooted PM. Still get Captcha. I just tried this same thing on my laptop testing with fresh and saved profiles. I also compared PM settings between my profile and the default profile PM creates during install. No differences in settings. There has to be something different in my saved profile that's causing Amazon to always trigger Captcha request but I just don't see it. I'm going to uninstall PM, fresh install, import logins, bookmarks, and addons and see what happens. If I get no Captcha request I'll stay with that profile. :thumbup:
I told you it was browser related, not IP related. DO-you-not-understand?

And now a fat told you so.

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-27, 17:08

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-27, 05:41
I told you it was browser related, not IP related. DO-you-not-understand? And now a fat told you so.
Wow. Came back here to tell you guys I'm getting the Captcha again AND I just got it using Chrome too. Weird. Guess there's a first time for everything. Guess it ain't browser related. Here's your shoe, F22 Simpilot. You may stick it in your mouth at your leisure. :clap: I may play around more but for now I'm just gonna live with Amazon's Captcha requests since I get it nowhere else. Cheers.

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-27, 22:17

Got another Captcha via Chrome just now on Amazon. I think it may be due to the amount of testing (logins, logouts) I've been doing. Is there a way to import extensions' config settings without importing my whole PM profile?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-27, 22:46

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-27, 22:58

billmcct wrote:
2019-08-27, 22:46
You can try this:
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/opie/
Thanks. Just tried it. It's missing two of my installed addons. Un/re-installed Opie and same thing. I wonder why the two are missing. Going to putz with it some more. Thanks again.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-28, 05:19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2019-08-30, 09:28

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-26, 10:22
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-26, 03:54
I doubt it. Especially ASNs belonging to residential ISPs.
What, you think residential subnets are somehow immune to being botnet sources? :lol:
Off-topic:
Actually Amazon is fairly well known for not sacrificing usability for the sake of security. They're one of the few shopping sites that are completely usable without Javascript (excepting whoda guessed the logout button :D ) and even let me register with a non-existent email.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-08-30, 10:31

Splat wrote:
2019-08-27, 22:58
Thanks. Just tried it. It's missing two of my installed addons
As suggested, remove OPIE and use OPIE2.

It will automatically detect many extension settings, but not all of them. You first need to Configure/Initialize, then manually verify each extension on Configure/Configure. The red ones are undetected and you could attempt to manually add them yourself. For extensions that support their own import/export system, I prefer to use that and exclude them from OPIE2.

For example: "Lull The Tabs" is not automatically detected. Enter 'lull' in the filter bar and all related settings of that extension will appear. Carefully select those alone and press the arrow button. You now have a manually configured extension (blue).

You should also verify the auto-configured ones (green), a few times it gets them wrong.

Adjust other settings as required (export directory etc.). Use individual preference files, they are easier to handle. For extensions installed after OPIE2, it's better to configure them yourself (as described above for the undetected ones) because 'Initialize' will reset all your manual extension/OPIE adjustments (I think).

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-08-30, 15:53

back2themoon wrote:
2019-08-30, 10:31
As suggested, remove OPIE and use OPIE2.
Thank you. I will try this later when I have time. Looking forward to checking it out.

BlakeyRat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by BlakeyRat » 2019-09-11, 12:57

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-08, 03:11
You should have told them the truth in that Google discriminates with other browsers that aren't Firefox of Chrome and that they should at least look into a different captcha system rather than be a poor website Admin and use the soup du jour Recaptcha shit.
You still don't get it:

THEY DON'T CARE.

I have complained. And complained. And complained. When I cancelled a credit card I told them that I was doing it because I couldn't get past their stupid CAPTCHA bullshit.

THEY DON'T CARE.

I just ran into another page today where I couldn't get past the CAPTCHA using Palemoon. No matter how many I clicked on, I just kept getting more. And more. And more. So I switched to Firefox, which was a huge pain in the ass because it meant that I had to start over and re-enter everything into the form I was filling out. With Firefox everything went right through and I didn't even get a CAPTCHA. This is getting ridiculous.

Yes, I agree, the real problem is Google. But that doesn't change the fact that I have constant CAPTCHA problems with Palemoon and ZERO problems with Firefox.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-11, 13:14

BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-09-11, 12:57
Yes, I agree, the real problem is Google. But that doesn't change the fact that I have constant CAPTCHA problems with Palemoon and ZERO problems with Firefox.
And you have to understand that we can't do anything about it. This is Google's domain.

Of note, I don't get nearly as many CAPTCHAs (as in hardly any) if I'm logged in to my Google account in the browser I'm using. How many and how annoyingly the CAPTCHAs are depends on several factors: your user agent (are you spoofing it?), your IP and IP neighborhood (are you using a proxy/public VPN that gets abused by criminals/bots?), whether you are logged in to Google, if you're blocking cookies/scripts/etc., and also how fast you click the images (too fast and/or too evenly and it'll give you another challenge), etc.

If your browsing behavior/environment gives you impossible Google challenges in Pale Moon but not another browser you use, then perhaps you should rethink whether Pale Moon is the right choice for you. Stop trying to force it; just use what works best for you/your browsing habits.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-09-14, 03:06

Yeah, for me personally, if I come across a captacha, I don't even bother trying to solve it in PM knowing full well what hell Google will give me. That's why I keep a plain vanilla FF install just for that purpose.

All anger should be directed at Google. They are in fact the actual pricks who are doing this with their captcha. They treat FF and Chrome differently then PM, and hell if I'll stay logged into anything. I already use Sandboxie and dump all cookies and cache on exit.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-10-08, 21:23

craigslist captcha seems to be ok past few weeks.
ImageImage

biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by biopsin » 2019-11-05, 11:12

so anyone seen this issue.. I just plain boycott sites like this (btw a webshop) :clap:
Attachments
captcha gone terrible wrong
captcha gone terrible wrong
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.78 / selfcompiled latest Palemoon (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-05, 11:59

biopsin wrote:
2019-11-05, 11:12
so anyone seen this issue.. I just plain boycott sites like this (btw a webshop) :clap:
Would it kill you to include the URL where you're facing this? :evil:
What is one supposed to do with just a screenshot?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-05, 15:01

Speaking for myself, I don't come across captchas often, but if I do and it doesn't load properly, I've only needed to tweak uBlock/uMatrix (nMatrix now) to get it to show up properly. I've been using PM for years now and never encountered a captcha I couldn't get to load normally and solve without issues.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-05, 20:05

I get a captcha only when I have to login or register with something, etc for bot protection. Recently eBay gave me one on login and the fucker would go through an endless cycle and the images never made any sense based on the question.

If I ever get a captcha for some kind of verification I just use my plain vanilla Firefox install. Pisses me off websites use Google for their captcha needs and also blatantly discriminant on one's browser choice.