Laggy and Slow

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Laggy and Slow

Unread post by Kerebron » 2019-04-13, 08:45

Splat, did you try to change your DNS? :think:
Off-topic:
JoeyG - Blitznet is coming! Run for the hills! :3

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-04-19, 21:18

Kerebron wrote:
2019-04-13, 08:45
Splat, did you try to change your DNS? :think:
Off-topic:
Yes, I did. Tried a bunch. Also did speed tests, FWIW. I'd say 98% pages load fine now, but not Google.com or Youtube. I might as well be on my old 486-dx2-66 with 14.4 modem trying to reach them. :lol: They take a few seconds to load, if the page(s) load at all.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-04-19, 21:45

Kerebron wrote:
2019-04-13, 08:45
Off-topic:
Off-topic:
Ummm, I looked up Blitznet, but I have to confess that I don't see its relevance here. In fact, I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do.

All I know is that if I replace the sheep in this picture with pictures of my cats, they'll be able to get free rides in self-driving cars, or something like that.
And are those hills in the back of the pic the ones you're talking about that I should run for?

If so, I'll wait for my cats to get the free rides, and then I'll ask them if they'll drive me there. I'm too old - and too out of shape - to run so far. :(

Hmmm, I guess to get back on topic, you could also say that I'm laggy and slow.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-04-19, 22:32

Splat wrote:
2019-04-19, 21:18
I'd say 98% pages load fine now, but not Google.com or Youtube.
Google/YouTube have been acting up a bit lately.
I've noticed this too, from my location.
It doesn't appear to be a Pale Moon problem.

sp808

Unread post by sp808 » 2019-06-22, 08:51

I value Palemoon as a secure and private browser, but i can confirm it is really VERY slow.

Palemoon 28.5.2 x64

Installed plugins:
Adblock Latitude
CPU&Memory status bar
Expose Noisy tabs
Extended status bar
Fast Dial Visual Bookmarks
FEBE
Home Styler
I don't care about cookies
New Scrollbars
Palemoon Commander
Restart Browser
Scroll to the Top
Secret Agent
Self-Destructing cookies
Splashed!
Status Date &Time
Tab Mix Plus
nMatrix

system:
Windows 7 x64 sp2+ eng

hardware:
1950x/64gb/512Gb nvme

I fully understand that i've installed many plugins into Palemoon environment. But my machiche is not a snail, for sure.
Also i understand the shitty google bring up existence of alternative browsers to hardcore level of difficulty.

At first i thought it is a quirk in my system, but now i see complains of other users.
Though i still use Palemoon, but keeping eye on the IceCat. It is pretty secure and waaaay more faster.

ps. Moreover i've noticed some problems with banking sites. Some of them refuse to work appropriately or not working at all.
It is pity to understand that life of good alternatives at the brink of existence, before fat ugly g consume all your brains.
Last edited by sp808 on 2019-06-22, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-22, 09:01

sp808 wrote:
2019-06-22, 08:51
i can confirm it is really VERY slow
Can you please provide details when/where it is "VERY slow"? -- Because I don't see any slowness. On your hardware it should be pretty happy and should fly! Maybe it's caused by an incompatible extension?

P.S.: Expose noisy tabs & Restart browser are likely redundant. I strongly recommend against using "Secret agent" because websites may respond with incompatible code if you lie about your user agent (which -can- cause severe slowness, too)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-06-22, 09:02

I use mainly 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.5.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce as my daily driver and as a backup system, 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.5.2 running in 64 bit Windows 7 on four different computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops) and I "DO NOT" experience any lag or slowness at all on any of my four computers.

I only use two addons/extensions and they are NoSquint and uBlock origin. My user agent mode is Firefox Compatibility.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

sp808

Unread post by sp808 » 2019-06-22, 09:05

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-22, 09:01
sp808 wrote:
2019-06-22, 08:51
i can confirm it is really VERY slow
Can you please provide details when/where it is "VERY slow"? -- Because I don't see any slowness. On your hardware it should be pretty happy and should fly! Maybe it's caused by an incompatible extension?

P.S.: Expose noisy tabs & Restart browser are likely redundant. I strongly recommend against using "Secret agent" because websites may respond with incompatible code if you lie about your user agent (which -can- cause severe slowness, too)
I get your advice, will try to remove suggested plugins. Also check my previous reply - i added some words.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-22, 09:07

Extensions are not Plugins.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-22, 09:22

Banking sites refusing the browser is pretty much always a matter of user agent sniffing.
Using Pale Moon's standard Firefox compatibility and the few overrides it provides for banks is normally enough to keep banks and other sites happy. You may need a specific override for your bank if they are particularly discriminatory against browser usage, but the browser itself should be one of the more secure options you have for banking.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sp808

Unread post by sp808 » 2019-06-22, 09:38

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-22, 09:22
Banking sites refusing the browser is pretty much always a matter of user agent sniffing.
Using Pale Moon's standard Firefox compatibility and the few overrides it provides for banks is normally enough to keep banks and other sites happy. You may need a specific override for your bank if they are particularly discriminatory against browser usage, but the browser itself should be one of the more secure options you have for banking.
Thanks for advance!
I will try to remove secret agent or at least whitelist banking sites.