The new Skype for Web does not work in Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sampei Nihira

The new Skype for Web does not work in Pale Moon

Unread post by Sampei Nihira » 2019-03-28, 15:16

.....and also in other browsers:

https://web.skype.com/

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/08/the-n ... -or-opera/
....A simple user-agent change is not enough to make Skype for the Web work in unsupported browsers. Microsoft offers no explanation as to why the new web-based version of Skype does not work in Firefox or Opera.....
The quote above is incorrect. :thumbdown:

I found that with the spoofing of the single website:

general.useragent.override.web.skype.com:

" Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36"

Chrome 73 on Windows 10.
It works. :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: The new Skype for Web does not work in Pale Moon

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-28, 16:17

Doesn't mean that aspects of the JS won't break and it still won't be possible to VOIP.. So what they said is correct but it does depend on how MUCH functionality you expect.

kreedah

Unread post by kreedah » 2019-07-03, 11:28

Hi all,

Without the altered useragent string, it says the browser's not supported.
I changed it to the latest Chrome x64 and it started working.

But ever since the middle of May or so, Skype stopped working with the following message:
Oops, there was a problem with Skype.
Try signing out and back in.
Nothing else.
Any ideas?

Cheers!
Kreedah

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-03, 15:07

kreedah wrote:
2019-07-03, 11:28
Hi all,

Without the altered useragent string, it says the browser's not supported.
I changed it to the latest Chrome x64 and it started working.

But ever since the middle of May or so, Skype stopped working with the following message:
Oops, there was a problem with Skype.
Try signing out and back in.
Nothing else.
Any ideas?

Cheers!
Kreedah
The most painless and simple variant would be to use a different browser for Web-Skype or install the normal Skype on your computer. Microsoft constantly messes around with Skype, which makes it really hard to be able to support it for a smaller browser developer team - also Microsoft is one of the organizations of which you can be sure of that they use the latest drafts/shinies of ecmascript or whatever is right now called "state of the art" or "standard". Also, no useful errors in the console.

Either use one of the 2 mentioned alternatives or make a bug-report to Microsoft/Skype team directly. Tolerable secondary browsers are for example Waterfox, Vivaldi or Brave.

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2019-07-04, 21:47

"Microsoft constantly messes around with Skype, which makes it really hard...[for users, too.]"
No kidding. With the normal Skype, there are ways to block the updates. Of course, periodically the force you to update. The last time it was so bad I know people who stopped using it, and I actually got a MagicJack. However, I now keep my own addressbook for Skype and pop them into the dialer and it's not so bad.