About the add-ons and themes in 19.0.1

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
newbie3

About the add-ons and themes in 19.0.1

Unread post by newbie3 » 2013-03-05, 11:54

Regarding the latest update (I mean this one: "Fix (inherent) for add-ons and themes being marked as incompatible in Pale Moon x64 when they have a minimum version of 19.0) I can't use my main theme, because it's has not been updated recently. Could you please change the fix only to the add-ons and not about the themes? My main theme is "Firefox Aero theme for Firefox 4+ 2.0.1" and I like it, because it reminds me of the good outlook of "Mozilla Firefox 3.6.28". I don't like how "Firefox" is developing recently and I chose "Pale Moon", which is better. Please, give me the freedom to choose the theme. I suppose other users face the same problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: About the add-ons and themes in 19.0.1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-05, 13:52

The fix was for add-ons and themes that were compatible with Firefox 19 (which your favorite theme is not) but were incorrectly marked as "not compatible" because of the version number check. If your theme is not compatible with Firefox 19, then it will also not work in Pale Moon 19 - unfortunately this is inherent to the changes made in using the later Gecko code base and cannot be fixed. The theme has to be updated to work with v19, or you should look for an alternative theme that gives you the look and feel you are going for.
If you like the 3.6.* look, try Qute 3++ https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... ustom-mod/ or some other themes in the "retro" category on AMO https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... emes/retro
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2013-03-05, 15:59

Moonchild wrote:The fix was for add-ons and themes that were compatible with Firefox 19 (which your favorite theme is not) but were incorrectly marked as "not compatible" because of the version number check. If your theme is not compatible with Firefox 19, then it will also not work in Pale Moon 19 - unfortunately this is inherent to the changes made in using the later Gecko code base and cannot be fixed. The theme has to be updated to work with v19, or you should look for an alternative theme that gives you the look and feel you are going for.
If you like the 3.6.* look, try Qute 3++ https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... ustom-mod/ or some other themes in the "retro" category on AMO https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... emes/retro
Thank you for the quick and comprehensive response. I found a nice theme, that is compatible with the latest version of "Pale Moon". I used to be a fan of "Mozilla Firefox" until the version 3.6.28 (which had the best interface, in my opinion) and I tried to stay as long as possible to this version, but the technological progress can't be stopped. Fortunately, I found "Pale Moon", which is a better version of "Mozilla Firefox" and I'm contented and I wouldn't change it for anything else.

LeBieque

Unread post by LeBieque » 2013-03-12, 08:04

Open " firefox_3_(aero) theme_for_firefox_4-2.0.1-fx.xpi " as archive (7z), edit install.rdf with Notepad (Notepad2 is better) and change to " <em:maxVersion>19.0.1</em:maxVersion> " accordingly. And try again. Works for me.