PayPal refusing to send money w/Pale Moon 28.4.0 on Windows 10

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ehrbar

PayPal refusing to send money w/Pale Moon 28.4.0 on Windows 10

Unread post by ehrbar » 2019-03-22, 19:37

Eternally circles after entering the email address to send money to.

It's working on Chrome.

Is not working on Pale Moon even if I set the override to recent (or recent-ish) versions of Chrome or Firefox.

And, in case it helps triangulate things, it was not working on Waterfox (on Linux) by default, but does work on Waterfox (on Linux) if I use User Agent Switcher to spoof the useragent as a recent-ish version of Chrome, Firefox, or Edge on Windows.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: PayPal refusing to send money w/Pale Moon 28.4.0 on Windows 10

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-03-23, 03:11

I never heard of that kind of user-agent-sniffing thing. I normally suspect JS-blocker interference. Or a function not implemented in the PM version that's being used.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-03-23, 11:51

Try unstable - perhaps it had anything to do with this:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 63b0306925 - Bought right now with the unstable music, no issue here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-23, 13:39

Yes, it is exactly because of the UA sniffing done by polyfill.io -- I opened an issue with them to get this resolved. I also wrote to PayPal complaining their site broke.

In the meantime, on release versions, you can solve this as follows:
  1. Open about:config. Acknowledge the warning about dragons and tip-toe in.
  2. Right-click on the list of preferences, select New -> String
  3. When it asks for the name, enter:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.polyfill.io
  4. When it asks for the value, enter:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.9
Reload the PayPal page, and you're done. You'll likely also enjoy much snappier response times.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-03-23, 14:01

@Moonchild:

Regarding UA overrides;
That potential "UA override" list, which you've mentioned before..
Is that something that is likely to happen?
If so, perhaps you could set up a place for us to report potential entries?
It could contain templates like "URL:" / "Reported to webmaster @ <date>:" / "Working override:".

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2019-03-23, 15:00

Ahah! That makes sense (because while User Agent Switcher on Waterfox changes the user agent sent to everyone, a general.useragent.override.paypal.com in Pale Moon doesn't change what's sent to polyfill.io , so that's why I was getting the differential results). Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-23, 20:58

Tomaso: as I said before numerous times, it's going to be something that needs to be done case by case, because having a large list of overrides will impact performance, and you're better off with local sites adding your own exceptions. Only problematic large global websites will be added as defaults and preferably not before the webmasters have been informed and been given the chance to fix their sniffing (or stop it altogether).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-03-24, 10:17

Just so there's no misunderstanding; I was refering to a potential external override list solution, which you mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19843#p153192

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-24, 23:39

I'm aware to what you are referring but the same applies to it.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-03-28, 16:41

Moonchild wrote:Tomaso: as I said before numerous times, it's going to be something that needs to be done case by case, because having a large list of overrides will impact performance, and you're better off with local sites adding your own exceptions. Only problematic large global websites will be added as defaults and preferably not before the webmasters have been informed and been given the chance to fix their sniffing (or stop it altogether).
Moonchild,

<shrug> As PaleMoon deviates further from FireFox, more and more websites won't recognize it. The partial solution has been UA spoofing, but when that doesn't work, my kludge has been to invoke the Open In Chrome extension. Almost all the time, everything works better in PaleMoon, but there are those moments.

Just Sayin'
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-03-28, 19:52

nord1 wrote:<shrug> As PaleMoon deviates further from FireFox, more and more websites won't recognize it.
That's not a problem related to Pale Moon, I guess. It's a site designer's issue. Years ago, all sites were designed with IE in mind. Opera browser, despite being 100% standards compliant, had it quite difficult to render those sites properly. Was that an Opera-related flaw? Nope.

Twenty years later, the same old story. Names are different (try FF for IE and PM for Opera) but the game is the same. However, where is IE today? It's ancient history. And Opera? It's a whole new beast. The point being, you never know how things will evolve. Perhaps in 20 years Pale Moon will be the new FF. Who knows? :P

Regards :)

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-03-29, 01:11

01101001b wrote:
nord1 wrote:<shrug> As PaleMoon deviates further from FireFox, more and more websites won't recognize it.
That's not a problem related to Pale Moon, I guess. It's a site designer's issue. Years ago, all sites were designed with IE in mind. Opera browser, despite being 100% standards compliant, had it quite difficult to render those sites properly. Was that an Opera-related flaw? Nope.

Twenty years later, the same old story. Names are different (try FF for IE and PM for Opera) but the game is the same. However, where is IE today? It's ancient history. And Opera? It's a whole new beast. The point being, you never know how things will evolve. Perhaps in 20 years Pale Moon will be the new FF. Who knows? :P

Regards :)
Perhaps... from your mouth to God's ear.
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-03-29, 10:43

nord1 wrote: <shrug> As PaleMoon deviates further from FireFox, more and more websites won't recognize it.
Sorry, but this is plain nonsense.

If a site doesn't work with a browser but does with another, there are two reasons.
1. Browser sniffing. The site purposefully blocks the browser or is feeding it with garbage code. A spoofed UserAgent will get round this despicable practice.
2. The site makes use of code, the browser doesn't understand. Not always but most of the time such code isn't W3C compliant. No way to get round in this case.

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2019-03-30, 03:49

gepus wrote:
nord1 wrote: <shrug> As PaleMoon deviates further from FireFox, more and more websites won't recognize it.
Sorry, but this is plain nonsense.

If a site doesn't work with a browser but does with another, there are two reasons.
1. Browser sniffing. The site purposefully blocks the browser or is feeding it with garbage code. A spoofed UserAgent will get round this despicable practice.
2. The site makes use of code, the browser doesn't understand. Not always but most of the time such code isn't W3C compliant. No way to get round in this case.
gepus,

Your point No. 2 refers most concisely to the issue at hand. Sites write for Chromium.
-N-

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-04-21, 09:16

Moonchild wrote:
2019-03-24, 23:39
I'm aware to what you are referring but the same applies to it.
Seems that M$ has had the same idea..

The New Microsoft Edge Sometimes Impersonates Other Browsers:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... -browsers/
When the new Microsoft Edge starts, it will connect to config.edge.skype.com and download a JSON configuration for the browser.
One section of the JSON configuration file is called EdgeDomainActions and is a series of rules that specify what browser Microsoft Edge should impersonate when visiting a particular site.

Dr_Mike
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Dr_Mike » 2019-09-04, 03:36

The following works for me:
Type about:config in the address bar of Pale Moon and press enter
Search for general.useragent.override.paypal.com
Double click on it and when the Enter String Value box comes up, erase what is there now and paste in Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon)
Click on OK and close out that tab. You will now be able to log into Paypal with Pale Mooon.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-09-04, 03:59

My wife used PayPal yesterday and she does not use any special user agent override for PayPal. And she accesses her PayPal account at the website below.

https://www.paypal.com/us/home

She is using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.7.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-04, 09:33

No override should be needed for PayPal.