Amazon web player now rejects PM Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
lonesomepoint

Amazon web player now rejects PM

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2019-03-19, 15:43

The Amazon web player will no longer work for me in PM, saying it has upgraded and now requires a new version of Firefox. Sigh. Before I reluctantly use Firefox (which I keep for these situations), does anyone know some sort of workaround?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Amazon web player now rejects PM

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-03-19, 15:45

Have you tried setting a Site-Specific User Agent Override for the site?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17887
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

lonesomepoint

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2019-03-19, 15:48

Isengrim wrote:Have you tried setting a Site-Specific User Agent Override for the site?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17887
I didn't already know what that is, but I'll try it. Thank you.

NoOneOfImportance

Unread post by NoOneOfImportance » 2019-03-22, 14:06

It seems (I guess?) to be doing something other than just agent, it won't take:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

nor does it seem to accept Chrome either, with a specific error message for both.

budlyte

Unread post by budlyte » 2019-03-22, 15:28

I encountered the same issue a few weeks ago. No luck with any of the user agent overrides I tried so I ended up downloading and installing the Amazon music player on my PC. It works fine, but I wish we could get it to work in Pale Moon again.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-03-22, 18:34

Since there is no link to check I assume that Amazon is checking for the DRM API and if DRM is enabled.
In that case an UA override is futile.

NoOneOfImportance

Unread post by NoOneOfImportance » 2019-03-22, 18:41

"Link" as in https://music.amazon.com/home ?

You're probably right, though. Sad, there goes any value from that service. I suppose it was nice while it lasted.

The mobile app spams you to upgrade to the monthly unlimited each time you launch it, so I won't use that on principle.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-03-22, 19:11

I've checked now with Firefox and Amazon demands DRM to be enabled in order to deliver the content.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-04-09, 21:09

Played around with different user agents, this one allows me to enter the page and Flash player is asked for to play the content in Pale Moon:

Make a page override in about:config:
---------------------------------------------------
general.useragent.override.music.amazon.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.0 Safari/605.1.15

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2019-04-30, 14:16

Thanks @Sajadi that UA override worked like a charm!
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2019-05-02, 10:15

Although I do not use/need amazon web players, I also increasingly see problems related to either mis-attribution (e. g. PaleMoon will
typically not be recognized as an independent browser and is grouped into firefox instead) or, even worse, functionality that does
not work for whatever the reason. Not sure if anyone else saw this but ever since Google re-designed GMail, gmail is super-slow
on firefox and palemoon. I did not test in Google's monopoly browser but I suspect it will be very fast in Google's browser. Quite
unfair practice the Google "engineers" do here if it is deliberate (and how can it not be deliberate really).

PaleMoon is indeed not recognized; instead it is grouped together into firefox by remote websites (my impression); and
ironically enough, the less popular firefox becomes, the more problematic I picture things to be, since everyone will try
to follow Google's de-facto monopoly browser. It's awkward to see history being repeated ... anyone remembers a
browser called the Internet Explore, and Netscape?

moonie

Unread post by moonie » 2019-05-02, 13:11

shevy wrote:
2019-05-02, 10:15
Although I do not use/need amazon web players, I also increasingly see problems related to either mis-attribution (e. g. PaleMoon will
typically not be recognized as an independent browser and is grouped into firefox instead) or, even worse, functionality that does
not work for whatever the reason. Not sure if anyone else saw this but ever since Google re-designed GMail, gmail is super-slow
on firefox and palemoon. I did not test in Google's monopoly browser but I suspect it will be very fast in Google's browser. Quite
unfair practice the Google "engineers" do here if it is deliberate (and how can it not be deliberate really).

PaleMoon is indeed not recognized; instead it is grouped together into firefox by remote websites (my impression); and
ironically enough, the less popular firefox becomes, the more problematic I picture things to be, since everyone will try
to follow Google's de-facto monopoly browser. It's awkward to see history being repeated ... anyone remembers a
browser called the Internet Explore, and Netscape?
I absolutely did notice how the new Gmail is slow, processor-taxing, and so forth. No way to disable the annoying prompt to use Chrome, either. I guess it makes sense that the explanation lies in their pushing of their proprietary browser. Then sometimes I think there's a graphics affliction with developers who become addicted to them. They serve only to hog resources and frustrate users who pay attention to this sort of thing. :coffee:

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2019-05-02, 22:06

Off-topic:
I have Chrome on my computer for the rare occasion I want to try something in another browser. It takes WAY longer to load up than Pale Moon does and Gmail is just as slow in Chrome for me and takes just as much memory and CPU as it does in Pale Moon. I think much of the "trendy" software (think Google, Facebook, etc.) has taken the route of release now test later. I believe this results in sloppy programing. Programs rushed to the market can suffer pretty heavily from bugs and sluggishness. At least that's been my observation.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

budlyte

Unread post by budlyte » 2019-05-17, 15:21

Sajadi wrote:
2019-04-09, 21:09
Played around with different user agents, this one allows me to enter the page and Flash player is asked for to play the content in Pale Moon:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.0 Safari/605.1.15
Thank you! Working fine for me as well.

lonesomepoint

I actually don't use the web player either

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2019-08-24, 20:40

I'm quite sure I've used the wrong term, and I should note it. When I said "Amazon web player," I didn't mean the tool you download, I meant only the screens where you buy music at Amazon. I've ceased doing any business with Amazon--except for buying music.

lonesomepoint

success

Unread post by lonesomepoint » 2019-08-24, 20:52

It took me a long time to get back to this, but I just made Sajadi's string, and it works for me, too. I can now buy MP3s at Amazon again.

In light of the last comment I posted, I guess the string solves the problem whether or not one has downloaded the music player.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-08-25, 02:40

gi_jimbo wrote:
2019-05-02, 22:06
Off-topic:
I have Chrome on my computer for the rare occasion I want to try something in another browser. It takes WAY longer to load up than Pale Moon does and Gmail is just as slow in Chrome for me and takes just as much memory and CPU as it does in Pale Moon. I think much of the "trendy" software (think Google, Facebook, etc.) has taken the route of release now test later. I believe this results in sloppy programing. Programs rushed to the market can suffer pretty heavily from bugs and sluggishness. At least that's been my observation.
Off-topic:
You could well be right. It's worth pointing out, just for the sake of argument, that Windows 10 (And possibly other recent versions of Windows) actually keeps track of which programs you are most likely to launch, based on your past usage, and starts partially loading them into active memory in advance of their projected use. So, if every morning you boot up your PC, go get a cup of coffee, and then click on Pale Moon, and you only use Chrome once a month, Pale Moon could load faster simply because Windows is doing part of the loading for you while you're getting your cup of coffee, unbeknownst to you, whereas Windows notices you rarely ever use Chrome and it has to start with 0 preloaded into active memory on the rare occasions you use it. It sounds to me (As a non-techie) a little like a "smart" more generalized version of how certain specified processes have always on run on startup and are contained in a list so that you can disable them individually if you want to speed Windows boot time.

Still, a lot of people who know a lot more about this stuff than I have noticed that Chrome has grown more and more bloated. My guess is, based on what I know of the Pale Moon philosophy, that Pale Moon has grown less bloated during the same time frame. Google devs like to add code, Pale Moon devs like to get rid of code. Pale Moon probably is actually faster, even accounting for whatever optimizations and deoptimizations an operating system may be doing in individual cases.

Plus, the Firefox family of browsers tends to have more users with older computers than the Chrome family of browsers (Someone did a survey at one point and published it), so the Firefox family more likely to optimize things like faster launch time than Google (Yes, I know Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again. I'm referring to the historic origins of the browser as a Firefox fork- meaning it's more similar to Firefox than to Chrome.). I know Chrome now launches a separate process for every tab. Firefox has multiple processes, but has more than one tab per process. Pale Moon only has one process total for all it's tabs. There can be many reasons beyond those type of decisions, but it seems like essentially the Chrome devs think they have more resources available to them hardware wise on the average user's PC, and thus are de-prioritizing speed.
Moderator note: PLEASE use off-topic tags for off-topic chatter.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-25, 10:21

Sajadi wrote:
2019-04-09, 21:09

This isn't going to last long if it is using Flash. Flash is going away next year.

I just use the Amazon music player on my computer and on my phone. I'm thinking of going Pandora because they keep deleting my shit, and yet I look up that song and there it is. Pisses me off.