How long after M$'s EOL of W7 will PM keep supporting it?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!

Do you plan to keep Windows 7 after 2020?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 29

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-03-19, 03:15

Just wondering what the future holds for Windows 7 users on Pale Moon.
ImageImage

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How long after M$'s EOL of W7 will PM keep supporting it?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-19, 03:34

I'll keep using Windows 7, but only as a backup operating system since I use the linux Mint distro as my daily operating system of choice while using linux Pale Moon as my linux browser of choice.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

90Obadiah

Unread post by 90Obadiah » 2019-03-19, 10:03

IMO PM should keep supporting W7 at least till the end of Extended Security Updates i.e. 2023
Windows 7 Extended Security Updates
As previously announced, Windows 7 extended support is ending January 14, 2020. While many of you are already well on your way in deploying Windows 10, we understand that everyone is at a different point in the upgrade process.

With that in mind, today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. Windows 7 ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing, with a discount to customers with Windows software assurance, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education subscriptions. In addition, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with active Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. This means that customers who purchase the Windows 7 ESU will be able to continue to run Office 365 ProPlus.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ows-7.html

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-19, 10:15

Unless there is some really pressing reason that requires a change that will break compatibility with NT 6.1 (which is extremely unlikely, considering the general range of kernels used in Win 7 - Win 10), there is no reason whatsoever for Pale Moon and other UXP applications to become incompatible with Windows 7.
So for the time being the answer to the topic title question is "for the foreseeable future".

P.S.: Microsoft asking more and more money annually and per-device for security updates in this "ESU" programme is nothing but strong-arming enterprise users into adopting Windows 10. That's really a blow below the belt, even for Microsoft. Tisk, tisk.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-03-19, 10:18

Win 7 for me until the very last moment when I cannot avoid abandoning it due to another issue such as spectre/meltdown.

From that point I will be running Linux Kubuntu as the host and ReactOS instances in a VM to perform specific Windows tasks, ie. by that point it is my hope that ReactOS is stable enough to run single tasks, ie. one application in a stable manner (I can either pray or hope). Assuming it is not that stable (expected) I may also run a win7 VM instance on top of Kubuntu for tasks where ReactOS is still not up to the job. Of course this will need an octacore processor, one for each o/s client instance but I am hoping by this time these sort of multi-core machines will be cheap enough and plentiful enough to make the task easy and do-able for anyone. This is my planned get-out, I have been forced to use Win10 for two years and I have realised it is NOT the future for me. This is my solid get-out plan and there is no alternative.

At that point my browser needs will be for a 64bit version of PM for Linux Kubuntu and as ReactOS becomes more stable a 32bit browser for a NT5 compatible platform with some NT6 capabilities (ReactOS) that will eventually receive 64 bit functionality but I cannot depend upon it, so the unadopted XP forks of PM may be my only hope for a browser for that o/s.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-03-19, 11:10

My home usage of Windows 7 has dropped dramatically since I've installed Linux; I do still use it for gaming and for developing (e.g. UXP applications ;)) but much less for browsing or communication. That said, I probably won't install Win 10 until one of those two things stops working on Win 7.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-03-19, 11:49

I stopped updating Win7 a long time ago, actually when M$ started cheating their users by embed spyware and malware in the security updates. It has also prevented me from having trouble with all their untested and buggy updates.
So, for me it makes no diff if Win7 is eol...

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-03-19, 13:02

I'll keep Win7 alongside with Linux.
Win10 is a dead horse for me.

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2019-03-19, 13:13

PalleP wrote:I stopped updating Win7 a long time ago, actually when M$ started cheating their users by embed spyware and malware in the security updates. It has also prevented me from having trouble with all their untested and buggy updates.
So, for me it makes no diff if Win7 is eol...
Same here!
I have clean windows 7 sp1 with IE11 only installed (its installation pulls preloaded kb2670838).
It's enough.
Brother is alive! :lol:
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-19, 14:03

The discussion of continued support of NT6.1+ class kernals plus related win32 api support is basically moot as what ever Microsoft has planned post Windows 10 won't be compatible with any of that unless it is virtualized or otherwise emulated and may not be 1:1.

So support for a Post-NT/Win32 Windows would have to be treated as either a version detected runtime conditional codepath to support the non 1:1 differences of the crippled emulated/vitualized environment or as conditional build time compilation target eg a "different OS". Likely both in the end.

Regardless, there will be no busting of Windows 7 support without good reason and even then I will push for even more solid justifications on top of that. Windows 7 and the NT6x era isn't the same ol' situation like the NT 5.x era was. Though I expect SOME but not all who want to push a Pro-XP Forever agenda with overlap with those who don't actually understand what they are talking about to claim otherwise.

I do know this though. We shall prevail as long as we remember that we are all the agents of our own salvation.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-03-19, 15:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:The discussion of continued support of NT6.1+ class kernals plus related win32 api support is basically moot as what ever Microsoft has planned post Windows 10 won't be compatible with any of that unless it is virtualized or otherwise emulated and may not be 1:1.
Off-topic:
The talk I hear - sometimes very eager - of deprecating the win32 API scares me. Not because I don't think it could use an upgrade, but because its proposed replacement, UWP, is sorely lacking in features, without which a lot of useful programs will cease to function and no equivalent replacement will be possible. I feel it's comparable to XUL vs. WebExtensions in this respect.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-03-19, 18:52

I got tired of Microsoft, and the way they treat their users, so when my last Windows PC died, I replaced it with a Mac Pro. I have never regretted it. MacOS is much more stable than Windows.

Souris

Unread post by Souris » 2019-03-19, 20:35

It’s good to know that Pale Moon will continue to support Windows 7 “for the foreseeable future” after the EOL date given by M$. Although I use other browses sometimes, Pale Moon is my default browser and has been for a very long time now. I don’t intend to change to Windows 10 ~ any change would be to a Linux distro.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-19, 20:53

Don't forget, while it may START with Pale Moon it doesn't end with Pale Moon. The Unified XUL Platform is awesome!