Are these functions available?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Are these functions available?

Unread post by videobruce » 2019-03-17, 22:20

Currently I'm using FF v56. Visually it's ok, functions are ok, BUT it's a resource pig with multiple processes opening at start that no other browser I have ever used (in the past 20 years) did.
The later versions are out due to the platform change with namely Classic Theme Restorer & Tab Mix Plus not being able to use. :evil:

So here I am trying PM, but there are a few shortcomings that are 'deal breakers' that I can't find/see a solution for;

1. Additional missing navigation bar buttons: Print Preview, Stop, Fwd for starters,
2. In the Bookmarks drop down list (not the Bar), the ability to remove 'Bookmarks Toolbar' and 'Unsorted Bookmarks',
3. For passwords, that "Remember passwords for sites" is grayed out.

Print Preview is essential as I do a lot of printing and most sites are poorly formatted producing almost useless printouts.
Those extra unnecessary (for me) entries clutter up the drop down list. There doesn't appear to have any entries under about:config and with CTR not working which there was/is a fix, that's out.
What's with the inability to save passwords? :?:

I'm running;
PM v28.4 in Portable mode
Win 7 Pro

Thehandyman1957

Re: Are these functions available?

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-03-18, 03:01

Welcome to Pale Moon Videobruce! :thumbup:

So let me help you with this.

1. missing navigation bar buttons. If you use a add on called "Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.4.2.1-signed"
it gives you a bunch of extra buttons you can load on the nav bar including both the print preview button
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_52_30 PM.png
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_52_30 PM.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 775 times
and stop.
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_52_41 PM.png
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_52_41 PM.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 775 times
As for the forward button, I'm pretty sure it's stock on PM but it has been a long time
since I have used the stock, or for that matter even seen the stock PM but I'm pretty
sure you can add it also.
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_54_37 PM.png
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_54_37 PM.png (23.82 KiB) Viewed 775 times
As for the bookmarks issue, well that's a non deal as it is part and parcel of PM
and has been discussed here before.

Passwords? Not sure why your option would be greyed out as that is not normal behavior.
Screenshot - 3_17_2019 , 7_49_41 PM.png
Perhaps a bad install? Corrupt profile? :think:

As for getting these older Add on's you will need Justoff's wonderful and greatly appreciated
Classic Add ons Archive add on https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-03-18, 03:14

videobruce wrote:3. For passwords, that "Remember passwords for sites" is grayed out.
In Preferences > Privacy > History tab, do you have it set to either "Never remember history" or "Always use private browsing mode"... ? If either of those are set, the "Remember passwords for sites" feature will be grayed out.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2019-03-18, 06:00

Nigaikaze;
I suppose you mean something like this. :crazy:
I remember this 'quirk' with FF, but kinda forgot about it. I still don't get why there is a connection between history and saving passwords. :?:
Attachments
PM Preferences-Privacy-History.png

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2019-03-18, 06:30

Thehandyman1957;

Thanks for the welcome. I did a few searches, but I can't find that "Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.4.2.1-signed". .
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cstbb/
This 1.4.2 was not signed. And that didn't seem to add anything. :| I am using the default theme if that matters.

Sorry about the forward button, that was there. I believe I should of asked about a 'full back button' like Opera Classic has; returns to the first address in that tab (that didn't always work correctly).

You mentioned there was discussion regarding the lack of removing those two unneeded entries in the Bookmarks drop down menu. IIRC CTR was basically additional lines (entries) in the about:config list. I'm wondering if those lines that are in FF (before v57) would work here? I know this is kinda trivial, but still an annoyance to me with the number of my bookmarks folders. What gets me, there is a 'delete' option for each, but both are greyed out. :roll:
Attachments
PM Bookmarks drop down list.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-18, 07:52

videobruce wrote: I still don't get why there is a connection between history and saving passwords. :?:
Remembering passwords is part of remembering what you enter into forms (form history). If you disable remembering what you enter into forms, that logically includes the subset of that kind of data that is passwords.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-18, 12:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-18, 14:53

videobruce wrote:Stop, Fwd

You might check out Active Stop Button.
(see its "Features list")

For general info...
The stop button does not display initially, but it can be seen and manipulated in customize mode (it's the button with the red X).
It will become persistently visible if you shift it from its default position to anywhere else.
Default view.
default-buttons-appearance.png
Default in customize mode.
customizeMode-default.png
Then after moving the Stop button (here, to L of Reload).
after-moving.png

videobruce wrote:3. For passwords, that "Remember passwords for sites" is grayed out.
videobruce wrote:I suppose you mean something like this.

No. The configuration shown in your screenshot should not grey out the setting to remember passwords.

To grey that out, the checkbox next to "Always use private browsing mode" would need to have been checked.
(and in about:config -> browser.privatebrowsing.autostart = true)
For example like this:
customview-alwaysPvt.png

Or If "private browsing" was the only setting changed in that section, it would show this:
neverHx.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-18, 15:28

videobruce wrote:2. In the Bookmarks drop down list (not the Bar), the ability to remove 'Bookmarks Toolbar' and 'Unsorted Bookmarks'

It's possible to hide those using userChrome.css.
(You might need to create it and its directory, the chrome folder.)

This line goes into userChrome.css one time:

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

To hide "Bookmarks Toolbar" and adjacent separator in the Bookmarks menu, try this:

#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu, 
#bookmarksToolbarSeparator {
  display: none !important;
}

To hide "Unsorted Bookmarks" and adjacent separator in the Bookmarks menu, this seems to work:

#menu_unsortedBookmarks, 
#bookmarksMenuPopup .hide-if-empty-places-result {
  display: none !important;
}

Pay attention to case. A restart is required after the css has been saved.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-03-19, 02:11

coffeebreak wrote:
videobruce wrote:2. In the Bookmarks drop down list (not the Bar), the ability to remove 'Bookmarks Toolbar' and 'Unsorted Bookmarks'

It's possible to hide those using userChrome.css.
(You might need to create it and its directory, the chrome folder.)
Thank you Coffeebreak for that great information. I followed the instructions on that page and simply
used the .zip that they offer to have it unzipped in the profile and then copied your instructions and
it worked perfectly. Very awesome, and much cleaner looking. :thumbup:
Screenshot - 3_18_2019 , 7_10_28 PM.png