I don't care about cookies 2.9.7 add-on

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
John connor

I don't care about cookies 2.9.7 add-on

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-12, 05:06

I kept seeing some websites trying to load other stuff. The website loaded fine, but there were other URLs or what have you that the browser kept trying to load. Through a process of add-on elimination, I found out it was due to the I don't care about cookies add-on. Why is this and can it be fixed? Better yet, is there a Pale Moon version that's been updated to do what this add-on does? I got this add-on though the Classic Add-on Archive add-on.

Edit-

Found this page and is actively being developed. Will chime in there. https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: I don't care about cookies 2.9.7 add-on

Unread post by Potkeny » 2019-03-12, 07:07

F22 Simpilot wrote:Better yet, is there a Pale Moon version that's been updated to do what this add-on does? I got this add-on though the Classic Add-on Archive add-on.
Not sure if it's a different version (didn't check, but says 2.9.7), but it is on the pale moon addon site: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/i-don ... t-cookies/

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-03-12, 08:46

This issue has been discussed here before.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20553

I wouldn't expect much from the developer. You might just be better off using the filter list on an ad blocker like I do.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-03-12, 17:03

This is one of the reasons why I switched to using the filter list version, a long time ago.
That way, I can use uBO's logger, to see what's actually going on, and send detailed issue reports to IDCAC's developer.
The developer is very forthcoming, and has fixed all of the issues which I've reported so far (probably a couple of dozen).

The other reason why I don't use the extension version, is that the option to disable it per site doesn't work properly.
At least, it didn't the last time I tried it.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-12, 17:54

Looks like I solved this issue by using the uBlock/Adblock list. The constant loading stops and it blocks the annoying accept cookies crap.

This was the response from the Dev:
I just checked mysurvivalforum.com with Pale Moon 28.4.0 and extension version 2.9.7. Nothing reloads, works perfectly on my side. Can you give me another example? I'll be happy to help you if it is possible.

Daniel
I don't know if he understands what I told him or what, but I tried disabling all add-ons except I don't care about cookies and still the issue persisted. I'm using the latest version of PM and the add-on.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-12, 18:04

Interesting. I backed up my profile items, deleted them to start a new profile, added the add-on and there was no issue. So perhaps it's a setting I made in my current PM that's doing it.

Question: When you delete your profile, does that also reset your about:config settings or is that hard coded in the programs files?

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2019-03-12, 20:24

F22 Simpilot wrote:Question: When you delete your profile, does that also reset your about:config settings or is that hard coded in the programs files?
A new profile will have default about:config settings. They're stored in the profile (prefs.js).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 04:46

Okay, thanks. So I'm assuming some setting I have and this add-on is what's the deal here. I've made some changes in about:config, but don't remember them all. Is there a way to get a list of what I changed in about:config?

Actually, what file is about:config so that I can pull out diffmerge and do a compare and contrast.

Edit-

And found my answer. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/965842

Will investigate why this add-on isn't working like it should and see what I find.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 05:53

FOUND THE PROBLEM!

It's the setting,

Code: Select all

user_pref("network.cookie.cookieBehavior", 1);
If you set it to a 0 there is no issue with the constant reloading. If you set it to a 2 or a 3 as well as what I had as a 1, there is an issue with the constant reloading.

Read about this setting here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior

I shall relay my finding to the Dev of this add-on.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 08:38

E-mail from Dev:

There is indeed a bug there when 3rd party cookies are disabled - after an hour of testing, I found a solution It will work fine when I publish version 2.9.9.

Thanks once again for reporting! And spread the word about the extension please; the development depends on rare donations and those depend on the number of happy users.

Regards,

Daniel

Awesome he found a fix. So now everyone should be able to use the add-on without having to use the uBlock list. :D Sounds like a nice dude. I thanked him for making it XUL which is, as you know, kinda rare.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-03-14, 09:16

Well, that's a pleasant surprise. I guess that explains why I had the issue on one computer and not another. Nice work.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 14:28

Thanks. :thumbup:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-03-14, 14:32

LAR Grizzly wrote:
F22 Simpilot wrote:Question: When you delete your profile, does that also reset your about:config settings or is that hard coded in the programs files?
A new profile will have default about:config settings. They're stored in the profile (prefs.js).

OMG. Rereading your post I see now you said exactly where the about:config settings are at. Oops. :coffee:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-04-17, 11:21

Just to let everyone know, this add-on has been updated and the issue should be fixed now. https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/ I haven't tried it yet since I started to use the uBlock filter list until this issue was resolved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-17, 11:48

While we are talking about this extension, I'd like to ask people who use it to consider a donation to the author. He recently contacted me asking for potential sponsorship from us but our budget doesn't really allow something like that to be set up at this time, and the author is not getting anything back for the time that is being put in to process the reports and update the style rules needed to hide the nag screens. As was said, "That all takes time and my regular boss isn't happy with that".

So please, if you can spare a few dollars/euros/your-currency-here, consider sending the author a donation!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-04-20, 12:19

I'll send him a donation when I get some spare money next month.