All bookmarks are gone

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
xz5698

All bookmarks are gone

Unread post by xz5698 » 2019-03-07, 15:33

I closed Pale Moon, then when I started up again all the bookmarks were gone. I tried to restore to a previous date but nothing happened. I tried to restore to older date and got the message "Unable to process the backup file". I tried to export to HTML but nothing happens. I restarted Pale Moon in safe mode with all the add-ons disabled but the problems still persists.

How can I fix this? Or how can I retrieve my bookmarks? The Pale Moon version I'm using is 26.5 x64

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: All bookmarks are gone

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-07, 15:50

Are you seriously expecting an answer for an old and insecure version of Pale Moon from two and a half years ago?

xz5698

Unread post by xz5698 » 2019-03-07, 15:53

I tried upgrading it to v27 but problem is still there too. I just want to retrieve my bookmarks.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-03-07, 15:58

xz5698 wrote:How can I fix this? Or how can I retrieve my bookmarks?
I store all of my Pale Moon bookmarks on a few thumb drives. This way, if something goes wrong, I can restore my bookmarks.

Did you save your bookmarks to a thumb drive? If so, then restore your bookmarks from the thumb drive.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

xz5698

Unread post by xz5698 » 2019-03-07, 16:08

I can't export or import any bookmarks. It's weird because this just started a few hours ago.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-07, 16:53

Then check to see what you changed a few hours ago or earlier today.
Did your antivirus update (and potentially break the browser...)?
Did you install anything new?
Did you visit a potentially dodgy/risky website (you know what I mean...)

I'm afraid we can't really help you with that old of a version. I do suggest you immediately make a backup of your entire profile, for safekeeping of your bookmark backups, then try to repair your browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

xz5698

Unread post by xz5698 » 2019-03-07, 17:12

I found the answer:
- I closed Pale Moon and opened up the profile folder.
- Then deleted theses three files:
1. places.sqlite
2. places.sqlite-shm
3. places.sqlite-wal

- Started Pale Moon and all the bookmarks were back.

:D

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2019-03-07, 18:58

Glad that you were able to figure it out on your own. Be proud...that's how most problems end up getting solved.

Now would also be a perfect time to back up your bookmarks/profile...just in case this problem reoccurs. ;)

xz5698

Unread post by xz5698 » 2019-03-07, 20:45

I just did. :)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-03-09, 13:10

PM stores bookmarks in places.sqlite.
PM also makes (bookmark) backups, storing them in /bookmarkbackups/ as bookmarks*.json.

When you deleted the places.sqlite files, on next startup PM saw that & automatically restored your bookmarks (only) from its last backup set (bookmarks*.json).

(I would have renamed/backed up, the places.sqlite files rather then outright deleting them.)