The only normal browsers on my PC: Pale Moon and SlimBoat

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: The only normal browsers on my PC: Pale Moon and SlimBoat

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-02-24, 22:43

I suggest that you upgrade to a dual core version of socket AM2. Looks like you have a single-core processor. No wonder it's a lag-fest.

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2019-02-26, 09:21

For smoother youtube watching, if I was in your situation, I'd give Youtube 2 player a go. It'll catch youtube links and launch 'em in a dedicated video player (I go with MPC-HC, works fine on 99% of videos. For the other 1%, MPC-BE tends to work.)

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2019-02-26, 10:04

Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-03-01, 20:34

projectfear22 where are you ??? given up??? :roll: :(
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-03-10, 22:03

illiad wrote:projectfear22 where are you ??? given up??? :roll: :(
Been on my phone all of these days. Constantly tired from work so I get lazy to go on PC.

Will catch up on replies tomorrow since I'm free but thanks for the concern hh :)

Kingpin

Unread post by Kingpin » 2019-03-10, 23:44

YouTube tanks even modern computers. Try youtube-dl instead of watching them in-browser.

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-03-11, 18:14

Greywool wrote:For smoother youtube watching, if I was in your situation, I'd give Youtube 2 player a go. It'll catch youtube links and launch 'em in a dedicated video player (I go with MPC-HC, works fine on 99% of videos. For the other 1%, MPC-BE tends to work.)
I don't understand the first link. How am I supposed to use the app/thing?
Kingpin wrote:YouTube tanks even modern computers. Try youtube-dl instead of watching them in-browser.
you mean youtube downloader? I want to stream them instead of waiting for downloads :/
illiad wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:
back2themoon wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:But... My system isn't the newest... but hey I think my old graphics card is still better than my old Sempron processor...
So exactly how old is the system? PC specs? There comes a point where miracles cannot happen on very old hardware, since the Web and its technologies move on. Post hardware details, CPU, GPU, RAM.
I hoped none would ask this as I firmly believe that there is a browser out there for any system. If we include older working versions of some browsers. But here: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1150 2.01GHz, 1,50 GB RAM (1,37GB usable), 32 bit system, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
It is not clear how much RAM you have - do you mean 1370000 Meg?? = 1.37 G? or have missed a zero, meaning you have 13700000Meg = 13.7G??

If you have less than 2 Gig usable ram, and no possibility of increasing it, it is time to buy a new motherboard...
I had very good laptop given to me, but it has only 100G HDD (laptop IDE!! :( ) and only 2G max ram.. win7 fails to install (not enough HDD space??) but XP is ok...

1gb and 500ish megabytes. It's something called DIM ram instead of ddr, most are puzzled by the ammount of ram when I type it like that but that's what I have

I'm all for external choices instead of any internal modifications
tnx, tried it but didn't notice any changes :/
back2themoon wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:What exactly does unload tabs mean? how am I supposed to install uBO?
It just means that the website will be "closed". The tab remains open and remembers the link. If you go to an inactive tab, the website will be loaded again as if you were just visiting it.

As for uBO, look for the "legacy" version (latest one is here, press on the .xpi file to install). After installing it, I'd also suggest to get uBlock Origin Updater to install new uBO versions automatically.
can you modify ublock to allow certain sites to have ads?

Kingpin

Unread post by Kingpin » 2019-03-11, 19:40

projectfear22 wrote:
you mean youtube downloader? I want to stream them instead of waiting for downloads :/
No, I mean this: https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html. So you don't want to wait for downloads? Well something has to give. As I said youtube videos are VERY resource intensive. You can also try https://invidio.us with the DASH quality chosen in preferences, but youtube-dl is your best bet.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-11, 20:32

Off-topic:
youtube-dl can be used to stream videos, if you know how what you are doing.

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2019-03-13, 11:53

projectfear22 wrote:
Greywool wrote:For smoother youtube watching, if I was in your situation, I'd give Youtube 2 player a go. It'll catch youtube links and launch 'em in a dedicated video player (I go with MPC-HC, works fine on 99% of videos. For the other 1%, MPC-BE tends to work.)
I don't understand the first link. How am I supposed to use the app/thing?
Click on the yt2p.xpi link to install the extension.
On PM menu go Tools->YT2Players.
Right-click on All players and add the player of your choice.

After that any youtube links should open in the video player instead of inside the browser.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-03-15, 11:17

Well, I think the first thing you should do is give up on the whole notion of using multiple tabs when using script-heavy modern websites. You can do one or the other, not both at the same time. The things you're trying to do are the main reason websites have become "bloated." You have to understand that when you access a website with a lot of Javascript, you're not looking at a normal webpage, you're basically running a program inside of the browser itself. Worse than that, you're running interpreted rather than compiled code that is often poorly optimized for anything other than Chrome. So each tab is like running a whole dedicated application for what the website is designed to do, only less efficient. It's the same reason why smartphones have historically relied on apps rather than mobile websites, it makes better use of limited CPU resources and lower connection speeds. It's too bad there aren't many Win32 desktop apps designed to provide a keyboard/mouse interface to script-heavy websites while using minimal CPU and Internet connectivity.

The days when web surfing was one of the least intensive things you could do with your computer are long gone. Even on my quad-core computer with 8GB of RAM that works fine for gaming, you can only have about 9 or 10 tabs of stuff like Facebook and YouTube in Firefox or Edge before you start filling up the system RAM and getting sluggish performance. I ended up tossing 32GB of RAM into my system to max out the RAM, and regularly manage to use about 20GB of it just to keep 20 tabs open. Heavier sites can easily use about 1GB per tab, and that's nearly all you have in your system. So you should be running a single tab only when using a heavy website.

It's worth noting that your computer, even back in the day, would have been inadequate to run Windows Vista and have a good experience. One of the reasons why that OS got such a bad reputation is because you basically needed 4GB of RAM and a dual-core processor to have a half-decent experience running it, and a lot of the XP computers being upgraded to Vista were still single-core affairs with less than 2GB of RAM. Windows 7 is basically just a service pack for Vista under the hood anyway, so I'm not surprised you're having trouble. I have a laptop with 2GB and it's also single core, what I found helped a lot was dedicating a 2GB USB stick to ReadyBoost. Especially if you have a mechanical hard drive, ReadyBoost provides a solution that helps Windows run more smoothly and use less virtual memory.

Aside from that, the only thing you can really do is try to run Windows in as paired-down a configuration as possible, disabling services, maybe even using some variant of WinPE. Depending on whether you care about security or not, you might even go back to Windows XP and use an unofficial build of Pale Moon designed for XP (A lot of that stuff can be found on the MSFN forums), but if you do that, you're basically on your own with support. You basically would have to stick to using a single tab for the heaviest website, and also pare down Windows as much as possible so that all of your computer's power can be dedicated to dealing with that single tab. Yes, websites are that heavy now.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-15, 11:22

athenian200 wrote:you're running interpreted rather than compiled code
In Pale Moon (like in every modern browser) the ECMAScript source code it jitted, not interpreted.
athenian200 wrote:use less virtual memory
SWAP allows process to use more (not less) virtual memory.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-15, 11:51

yami_ wrote:
athenian200 wrote:you're running interpreted rather than compiled code
In Pale Moon (like in every modern browser) the ECMAScript source code it jitted, not interpreted.
It's a little more complicated than that, actually. Just-in-time compilation happens on so-called "hot paths", i.e. JS functions that are executed often. Compilation itself takes a lot of processing power and for single-use functions interpreting the code is simply faster than compiling it and then running the binary code.
Either way, though, it will take processing power to execute this scripting, and yes JS-heavy websites are like running an application inside the browser; a different one for each tab. Often unnecessarily so, in fact, because the resulting output is something that could be generated much more simply.
If you are on a particularly weak computer, then you will feel this, severely.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-03-15, 12:08

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:It's a little more complicated than that, actually. Just-in-time compilation happens on so-called "hot paths", i.e. JS functions that are executed often. Compilation itself takes a lot of processing power and for single-use functions interpreting the code is simply faster than compiling it and then running the binary code.
I see. Thanks for this correction.