The only normal browsers on my PC: Pale Moon and SlimBoat

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
projectfear22

The only normal browsers on my PC: Pale Moon and SlimBoat

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-02-23, 12:01

So, to start this off: I really need help.

SlimBoat is the best browser I had to date, performance and design wise. Then comes Pale Moon with LittleMoon theme. But... My system isn't the newest, so Pale Moon stutters youtube videos (I wanted to try this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/ I'm not knowledgeable about webim webkit h265 h264 html5 flash and such stuff at all, but hey I think my old graphics card is still better than my old Sempron processor, and judging by what I read 264 would use more of the graphics card than the cpu and ram no?). Either way, let's say I manage to fix the youtube problem, one problem still presists, the amount of tabs I can run without loading time being slow as a turtle. Currently I have 9 tabs on Pale Moon loaded which is good but none of those have videos, or ads (which I need enabled to support the sites I use). So the problem is mainly with sites that have a "high design" so to say and a lot of images on screen or linked videos (let's call it a half embedded video).

I'd like some assistance on those issues. As well as someone who could help me fix SlimBoat to see if it'll be good enough on my PC as it so far proves to be. The problems with SlimBoat is that it can't open outlook's site it's blank, it can't open the slimjet (it's own site) cause it says it's untrusted. And most importantly I can't play videos at all! how can I get it to play videos, I heard in a review "it can play videos" but how...

Please help me fix this as I don't want to stick with a different browser if I can pick the fastest browser on my machine.

I had firefox for many years until it became slow
Chrome is eating up my PC
Pale Moon works fine but still not fast enough
I downloaded slimbrowser, wasn't pleased
K meleon works somewhat similar to palemoon sometimes better sometimes worse, but palemoon seems better
Falkon was slow
couldn't even open midori
safari and opera are chrome copies
internet explorer lol

Worth noting is when I disable javascript and images browsing becomes easier on any browser. But, for what I want to use my browser I need images and javascript

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: The only normal browsers on my PC: Pale Moon and SlimBoat

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-23, 15:14

projectfear22 wrote:But... My system isn't the newest... but hey I think my old graphics card is still better than my old Sempron processor...
So exactly how old is the system? PC specs? There comes a point where miracles cannot happen on very old hardware, since the Web and its technologies move on. Post hardware details, CPU, GPU, RAM.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-23, 15:27

Even fairly recent systems have no VP9 acceleration. Technically you can force YouTube to use MPEG-4 Part 10 for video streams by disabling WebM support by setting media.webm.enabled to false.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-23, 15:33

If the main problem is VP9 acceleration on YouTube and it's not a laptop, you could consider the GT 1030. I think it's the more affordable you can find, it's quite good and should work even on very old PC's. Only consider the GDDR5 variant, the DDR4 is awful.

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2019-02-23, 16:59

back2themoon: For What It's Worth... GeForce dropped support for 32-Bit operating systems in March of 2018. I was trying to use a GT-710 graphic card, and could not use it with Pale Moon unless I had Hardware Acceleration turned off. I was getting several crashes of the graphic driver per day, with Hardware Acceleration turned on... I don't know if they have fixed that with their 64-Bit driver - I'm running Windows-7 32-Bit and have no way of trying it.

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-02-23, 20:42

back2themoon wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:But... My system isn't the newest... but hey I think my old graphics card is still better than my old Sempron processor...
So exactly how old is the system? PC specs? There comes a point where miracles cannot happen on very old hardware, since the Web and its technologies move on. Post hardware details, CPU, GPU, RAM.
I hoped none would ask this as I firmly believe that there is a browser out there for any system. If we include older working versions of some browsers. But here: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1150 2.01GHz, 1,50 GB RAM (1,37GB usable), 32 bit system, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-23, 20:58

projectfear22 wrote:I hoped none would ask this as I firmly believe that there is a browser out there for any system.
Yes, but there is also an era for any system... VHS cassettes may still work perfectly on VHS players, but they are not really useful. Lame example, but you get the idea.

Have you tried Pale Moon 27? It may work a little faster on your system. Note that it's unsupported, lacking security updates, not recommended to use and some websites may not work correctly.

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-02-23, 21:04

back2themoon wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:I hoped none would ask this as I firmly believe that there is a browser out there for any system.
Yes, but there is also an era for any system... VHS cassettes may still work perfectly on VHS players, but they are not really useful. Lame example, but you get the idea.

Have you tried Pale Moon 27? It may work a little faster on your system. Note that it's unsupported, lacking security updates, not recommended to use and some websites may not work correctly.
I was on 27 but updated few days ago to 28, ain't much of a difference. I'm atm on Pale Moon and as I said it runs fine on normal sites but when I load tabs that are prevalent with videos and javascript/image usage, results vary depending on situations. And can't really ask for help about SlimBoat on a lot of places as it doesn't seem to be well known.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-24, 09:22

It still seems like you are asking for a miracle. Such websites (JS/Video/Images) are more CPU/GPU-intensive. I'm not saying "heavy" because modern hardware can mostly handle them. If you keep loading such tabs, it's only natural that your PC slows to a crawl. The problem isn't the browser, it's the PC.

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-02-24, 09:40

back2themoon wrote:It still seems like you are asking for a miracle. Such websites (JS/Video/Images) are more CPU/GPU-intensive. I'm not saying "heavy" because modern hardware can mostly handle them. If you keep loading such tabs, it's only natural that your PC slows to a crawl. The problem isn't the browser, it's the PC.
well, kinda

I think my main problem began when I upgraded from XP to 7 back in the day, and 7 uses my PC more obviously. Then again I had a bit RAM added so it shouldn't be much of a change, at least I guess. Or it's still too good for my CPU haha. The ideal solution (excluding upgrading because I don't want to open it up or add anything new if everything is older, < older yet long lasting :3 ) could be to revert back to an 2007 8 ish firefox version that is remembered to be stable, but who knows what it is.

In task manager my CPU is often at 100% just because of my browser, is there a way I can make the PC use other hardware a bit more too? would that damage something and is virtual memory a useful thing to use too?

Which youtube video format should be able to run the smoothest on my PC?

What can I disable in palemoon/browsers to increase performance (I read about some animations and stuff like that, anything more?)

Honestly I could do with an all text browser hah if only it had videos xd

yami_ wrote:Even fairly recent systems have no VP9 acceleration. Technically you can force YouTube to use MPEG-4 Part 10 for video streams by disabling WebM support by setting media.webm.enabled to false.
But I'm not sure what's better for my pc, that's the thing. I just read that h264 uses more gpu than cpu, and guessing that my cpu is a bit worse than my gpu I'd assume there might or might not be an increase in performance if I change the video format choice.

Is it a wise choice tho?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-24, 09:48

You should probably look into getting a new processor. Since the LE-1150 is Socket AM2, there will be much more powerful and modern CPUs that should fit your motherboard (but please do carefully check compatibility). Adding more RAM will likely also help.
Your current processor was discontinued in 2008, over 10 years ago -- definitely a previous computing era.

Your video card is also most definitely aged but should still provide some acceleration (but probably not for video). It also has a known bug in the NCQ implementation which might further impact your system performance. I'm assuming you are on a notebook though with having this chip, which will probably limit your component upgrading capabilities. In that case I'm afraid it's simply time to get a new laptop/notebook.

Using a 10 year old browser is most definitely NOT a solution. Your PC will get hacked/infected sooner rather than later.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-24, 09:52

projectfear22 wrote:But I'm not sure what's better for my pc, that's the thing. I just read that h264 uses more gpu than cpu, and guessing that my cpu is a bit worse than my gpu I'd assume there might or might not be an increase in performance if I change the video format choice.
Is it a wise choice tho?
You can disable it and then re-enable it if there is no difference.

Scribe
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Scribe » 2019-02-24, 10:44

SlimBoat has been deprecated for several years, so in the interests of security, if nothing else, you shouldn't be using it. See https://www.slimjet.com/slimboat/migrate.php

SlimBrowser which is based on IE is also very old. The only current FlashPeak browser now is SlimJet. if you want help with it, you can ask on their forum https://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/

An alternative you could try is Vivaldi, which is quite well featured, although IMHO, all Chromium browsers have far poorer bookmarking than PM or Firefox https://vivaldi.com/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-24, 11:16

Few more things to try: configure Lull The Tabs to unload your open tabs and make things a bit easier on the system. Again, if you open many tabs and want them all active, only new hardware can assist you.

Use a content/ad blocker more aggressively to potentially load websites faster, for example uBO in medium mode. Carefully read the wiki/guides there because you will have to do some website "unbreaking" when using this mode.

projectfear22

Unread post by projectfear22 » 2019-02-24, 12:26

Moonchild wrote:You should probably look into getting a new processor. Since the LE-1150 is Socket AM2, there will be much more powerful and modern CPUs that should fit your motherboard (but please do carefully check compatibility). Adding more RAM will likely also help.
Your current processor was discontinued in 2008, over 10 years ago -- definitely a previous computing era.

Your video card is also most definitely aged but should still provide some acceleration (but probably not for video). It also has a known bug in the NCQ implementation which might further impact your system performance. I'm assuming you are on a notebook though with having this chip, which will probably limit your component upgrading capabilities. In that case I'm afraid it's simply time to get a new laptop/notebook.

Using a 10 year old browser is most definitely NOT a solution. Your PC will get hacked/infected sooner rather than later.
Yes but I'd really like to avoid adding anything new into an older machine. I'm very afraid that it might interfere with the let's call it communication with other hardware. I think my motherboard might be too used to the current hardware that adding something new could cause something bad to happen at some point in time, maybe not instantly.

I'm all for external choices though. Or the virtual choices like using my HDD for ram, although I don't know if it's smart and how to do it. Is it? and also changes in about:config which I don't know much about

Prior to Pale Moon I've been using an old 20ish version of firefox. For a long time, nothing ever happened, unlike the start of my message, with this I'm not scared at all and pretty much don't care about the gamble(< pls don't think I imagined this in a mean tone) as long as I can have a faster experience while browsing.

Nope it's not a notebook, it's a desktop pc.

yami_ wrote:
projectfear22 wrote:But I'm not sure what's better for my pc, that's the thing. I just read that h264 uses more gpu than cpu, and guessing that my cpu is a bit worse than my gpu I'd assume there might or might not be an increase in performance if I change the video format choice.
Is it a wise choice tho?
You can disable it and then re-enable it if there is no difference.
I'm unsure how though
Scribe wrote:SlimBoat has been deprecated for several years, so in the interests of security, if nothing else, you shouldn't be using it. See https://www.slimjet.com/slimboat/migrate.php

SlimBrowser which is based on IE is also very old. The only current FlashPeak browser now is SlimJet. if you want help with it, you can ask on their forum https://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/

An alternative you could try is Vivaldi, which is quite well featured, although IMHO, all Chromium browsers have far poorer bookmarking than PM or Firefox https://vivaldi.com/
Slim Browser was kinda ok but SlimBoat was excellent. Today I also tried Lunascape, Netscape, Netsurf and Seamonkey. Netscape and Netsurf worked PERFECTly but... they either can't run video formats or don't have javascript support... Lunascape and Seamonkey were slow.

SlimJet is slower. As are all chromium browsers on my PC

back2themoon wrote:Few more things to try: configure Lull The Tabs to unload your open tabs and make things a bit easier on the system. Again, if you open many tabs and want them all active, only new hardware can assist you.

Use a content/ad blocker more aggressively to potentially load websites faster, for example uBO in medium mode. Carefully read the wiki/guides there because you will have to do some website "unbreaking" when using this mode.
What exactly does unload tabs mean? how am I supposeod to install uBO?

also is this any helpful

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/html5-video-tuner/ ?

And, is there an alternative similar to Youtube Lazy Load, but with the difference being that the videos will buffer/preload but not instantly play. YLL doesn't allow playing nor preloading. Preloading while I do something else would be nice.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-24, 12:51

projectfear22 wrote:I'm unsure how though
Go to about:config, find media.webm.enabled and double-click it to toggle it. If it is set to false then WebM is disabled.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-24, 12:51

projectfear22 wrote:What exactly does unload tabs mean? how am I supposed to install uBO?
It just means that the website will be "closed". The tab remains open and remembers the link. If you go to an inactive tab, the website will be loaded again as if you were just visiting it.

As for uBO, look for the "legacy" version (latest one is here, press on the .xpi file to install). After installing it, I'd also suggest to get uBlock Origin Updater to install new uBO versions automatically.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-02-24, 16:40

projectfear22 wrote:
back2themoon wrote:
I hoped none would ask this as I firmly believe that there is a browser out there for any system. If we include older working versions of some browsers. But here: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1150 2.01GHz, 1,50 GB RAM (1,37GB usable), 32 bit system, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
It is not clear how much RAM you have - do you mean 1370000 Meg?? = 1.37 G? or have missed a zero, meaning you have 13700000Meg = 13.7G??

If you have less than 2 Gig usable ram, and no possibility of increasing it, it is time to buy a new motherboard...
I had very good laptop given to me, but it has only 100G HDD (laptop IDE!! :( ) and only 2G max ram.. win7 fails to install (not enough HDD space??) but XP is ok...
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-24, 17:10

Here's another one: since you are using a very old CPU, software updates for the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities may be further hogging it down. Check your situation quickly with the excellent InSpectre and potentially disable them (at your own risk).

As Moonchild suggested though, I'd really look into replacing the CPU with the most powerful, compatible and affordable you can find. If it is compatible, nothing is going to "interfere" with your other hardware. There can only be improvements. Definitively extra RAM too. 4GB is the bare minimum for 64-bit Windows, which will also allow you to install a budget, modern Nvidia GPU with full video/YouTube acceleration.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-24, 17:19

back2themoon wrote:Here's another one: since you are using a very old CPU, software updates for the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities may be further hogging it down. Check your situation quickly with the excellent InSpectre and potentially disable them (at your own risk).
CVE-2017-5754 does not apply to AMD CPUs and in case of AMD CPUs CVE-2017-5753 only apply to the Zen microarchitecture.