recover bookmark from old install

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sa-On

recover bookmark from old install

Unread post by Sa-On » 2019-02-19, 18:26

I've been using palemoon on a machine running xubuntu 16.04. I recently lost access to that machine/hardware but I do have the backup of .moonchild\productions, and I'd like to recover the bookmark from it. I took the latest .jsonlz4 from

.moonchild productions/pale moon/(profile)/bookmarkbackups

and apply the dejsonlz4 script mentioned in

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20393&p=152159&hili ... er#p152159

and successfully decompressed it into a text file. Question: How would I upload this to my new machine?

MANY THANKS!

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: recover bookmark from old install

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-19, 23:27

Do you have the whole ".moonchild productions" folder? If so, there's a chance you can just drop that folder into your home directory and have your previous everything with you (make sure you use a copy of that folder not the folder itself.)
Otherwise, see if the "Restore" option in the bookmarks menu works (Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks->Import and Backup->Restore).

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: recover bookmark from old install

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-20, 12:31

You should be able to import the .jsonlz4 directly.
(Note that importing a bookmarks .json replaces all existing bookmarks.)

Or (as noted above) simply use the (pre)existing places.sqlite.