gog.com site doesn't work as expected Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
WintermuteX

gog.com site doesn't work as expected

Unread post by WintermuteX » 2019-02-19, 16:10

Since some weeks the shitty (sorry, but that's the plain truth as they are the only site I use that is utterly broken because of using hipster html/css features and they insist on forcing the users to chrome/ff)) gog.com website is broken (from top of the page to bottom):

"recommended for you" is empty
"featured deals" is empty
"show more" shows up three times instead of a single time and they are misaligned with a misaligned arrow
"news" is empty

It seems they use angularJS there and it breaks somehow.

Now the question: is there some chance of porting the missing features in the near future? I know, most of the web seems to do alright without breaking compatibility to the Gecko/Goanna engine, but as I use GOG and I want to use PM for obvious reasons ... :)

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: gog.com site doesn't work as expected

Unread post by Potkeny » 2019-02-19, 16:28

WintermuteX

Unread post by WintermuteX » 2019-02-19, 17:18

Potkeny wrote:Is that the same as this? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21171&p=159149#p159146
No, not exactly. The Problem I describe is true even if there are no sales with a countdown. It doesn't show the games in the named sections of the startpage at all.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-19, 18:01

This underlying AngularJS problem is exactly the same.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-02-19, 19:40

Not to nag or anything, but how's the progress of porting the remaining fixes coming along, yami_?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-19, 19:44

I still need to port bug #1357483, bug #1357506, bug #1359622 and bug #1367204. Yes, I know, I am slow.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-19, 19:46

Seeing as you are doing multiple things at once, been here not even a year, and doing it right.. I think any apparent slowness can be forgiven.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-02-19, 19:49

No worries, yami_, I'm just glad that it's actually being done.
Keep up the good work! :)

WintermuteX

Unread post by WintermuteX » 2019-02-20, 05:25

yami_ wrote:This underlying AngularJS problem is exactly the same.
Ah, thank you very much. I was just puzzled if this problem will be fixed at some point in the future. :)
As I'm not a coder I'm quite glad someone who is able to help invests his time. So: Thank you very much. :)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-02-28, 20:20

If you visit GOG.com now, using Pale Moon, all games on the front page are labeled "Free"!
:)

WintermuteX

Unread post by WintermuteX » 2019-04-29, 14:23

Well, this takes WAY longer than expected. o.O

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-29, 15:01

WintermuteX wrote:
2019-04-29, 14:23
Feel free to step in. It's bounty material.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-04-29, 17:48

WintermuteX wrote:
It's partly up to the users to get things done ;) You could try to implement it on your own or try to find someone who is going to make it happen. If you know someone with coding skills, make them aware that this issue is one with a bounty to collect when implementing in a successful way!

Part of the implementation is done already as seen here in the official issue:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/816

WintermuteX

Unread post by WintermuteX » 2019-04-29, 18:56

Moonchild wrote:
2019-04-29, 15:01
WintermuteX wrote:
Feel free to step in. It's bounty material.
I would invest some time if I would be a coder, but unfortunately I'm not and my coding "skills" are only good enough for some basic scripting in bash and python. It wasn't meant being rude or something like that it really was only a comment on taking longer than I would have guessed.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-29, 19:00

"I'm not a coder" stopped being a valid reason about five years ago. If not this issue then something else, perhaps?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-04-29, 19:50

WintermuteX wrote:I would invest some time if I would be a coder, but unfortunately I'm not and my coding "skills" are only good enough for some basic scripting in bash and python. It wasn't meant being rude or something like that it really was only a comment on taking longer than I would have guessed.
Theoretically you could find also someone who you can point to the open issue so it is getting to be fixed. As option 1 - do it yourself - is off list :) There are enough online resources available where you can find possible help for this :) After all, there is a bounty for this issue to be claimed when successfully implemented as already mentioned.

Also, may i point you to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20455#p152708

"Pale Moon is a community project. If the community fails it, then the project will also fail" - which means that certain issues can and will only be implemented if the community finds a way to make this happen - just ask around.. friends... online communities... to see if anyone would be willing to help Moonchild out with this :)

Or you just use a different browser for pages like that, that would be a third option.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-05-27, 19:34

gog.com site works as expected with the last unstable 28.6.0.a1 :D
Thanks ! :thumbup:
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-05-27, 19:47

It works as expected, because the JS issue that caused this wrong behaviour was fixed by CD PROJEKT (they would need to use a normal function instead of a class in a specific place) or Google (they would need to enable the compatibility shim that they use if no .toString support is detected). Or (most likely) the website design was switched to the working one again.

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2019-05-28, 15:56

It looks like it works now in 28.5.0, too, but is painfully slow, as usual. :roll: We'll see how it will be working during some sale, when it used to be the most "WTF is this?" situation. :|