Google homepage Pale Moon v19

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
devo95

Google homepage Pale Moon v19

Unread post by devo95 » 2013-03-01, 01:13

Since I upgraded to Pale Moon v19, I am not able to view the menu bar at the top of the Google homepage https://www.google.com/ The only thing at the top of the page where the menu items were is the Sign In button on the upper right corner of the page. I use this as my start page with Pale Moon to quickly check news, searches, shopping items, etc. The menu bar is still there with Firefox v19. It is not the Google browser add on menu bar but the one on the actual Google page that has: " +You Search Images Maps Play You Tube News Gmail Drive Calendar More "
Can anyone tell me how to get this back on the Google homepage through Pale Moon?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google homepage Pale Moon v19

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-01, 06:51

A quick check shows me that the bar is there with all the regular options on Pale Moon 19.0.1; it's likely something else interfering with your browser. Are you using any ad blockers? Which antivirus and firewall do you use and does it have the proper exception settings for Pale Moon?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-03-01, 13:18

I can see the top bar on the Google home Page with all the things you are missing. I'm using Pale Moon v19.0.1 in it's 32-bit configuration running Windows 7 Home Premium in 64-bit.

I only use two add-ons (IE Tab V2, NoSquint) in Pale Moon and Firefox and for security, I also have the free version of Avast anti-virus and the free version of Comodo Firewall.

I also agree your problem has to be with an add-on or a security setting.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2013-03-01, 15:38

Are you sure you aren't using the secure version of Google (https://)? That version lacks a menu bar, for some reason.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-01, 16:32

I checked with https:// and it showed the menu bar... then again I do have a persistent login, so maybe that is part of the issue (in which case it's solely in Google's court, and may even be by design)

EDIT: logging out removed the menu bar from google.com, so yes, it would be a Google choice not to show it unless you are logged in (I guess they think people should be logged in to use google maps or image search or something...?).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

devo95

Unread post by devo95 » 2013-03-01, 17:35

Problem solved. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Windows 7 64bit, use AVG anti virus and Windows firewall. I disabled all add-ons ( Adblock Plus 2.0.3 and Webmail Ad Blocker 3.6) and still no menu, so that was not the problem. I do not use the auto sign in with Google but as soon as I sign in the menu is there. So it appears that it is a Google change not a Pale Moon issue. Funny thing is when I use Firefox, I also do not sign in but the menu is there. Wonder why it is different with Pale Moon.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-03-01, 18:47

I use Google.co.uk and that shows the menu bar even when I am logged out - a peculiarity of Google.com then?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-01, 18:56

Definitely something someone should report to Google.

devo95

Unread post by devo95 » 2013-03-07, 03:30

Update:
I just noticed that the menu bar on the Google homepage is now showing in Pale Moon just like it always did and as in Firefox. No need to sign in to get the menu. I don't know exactly when it showed up but all is well now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-07, 04:13

I guess they fixed it @ Google then! Only took them a week ;)