Invalid hostname entered: Please enter a valid hostname

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
groundhog2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Invalid hostname entered: Please enter a valid hostname

Unread post by groundhog2 » 2019-02-02, 22:50

Just upgraded from 27* to 28.3.1 and upon opening a blank new tab or an unloaded tab I get this error message. The tab then loads fine, but of course it's highly annoying. What's happening? This is on any tab, not any particular site, and even on the blank new tab.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Invalid hostname entered: Please enter a valid hostname

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-02, 22:53

Check the settings for changes you didn't expect.
Alternatively, try safe mode then report back here the results.

groundhog2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by groundhog2 » 2019-02-02, 23:00

Doesn't happen in safe mode but I just went through all the setting in the Preferences window and I'm not sure what could be causing it. Is there something specific to this?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-03, 00:08

If it doesn't happen in safe mode, then it might be related to an extension.
However, I'm not really sure what kind of error you got, so if it's not an extension then I can't really tell you what preference to check for.
If it happens only when opening a new tab, then just check that your settings for when a new tab is opened are correct.
If it happens in other cases too, then I don't know.
Anyway, right now the only thing you can do is disabling all extensions (not safe mode, go on your add-ons manager and click "disable" on each one of them) and then enabling them one by one, checking that the error doesn't occur.
If it happens after enabling a certain extension, then that extension is the culprit.
Sorry, there isn't any other way right now, so if you have lots of extensions it's going to take a while.

groundhog2
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by groundhog2 » 2019-02-03, 01:58

It was the Cookie Monster 1.2.5 extension. I'll move to this I guess: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cookiemasters/