aes128gcm WebPush Support

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

aes128gcm WebPush Support

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-01-30, 20:49

I just started looking into this stuff, and sorta glad I waited with the mess this standard is in. It looks like the 8188 and 8292 whitepapers are finalized, and somehow VAPID survived it all...

And so I noticed, PushCrypto.jsm is looking a bit out-of-date now. I'd write a pull request myself, but I'm writing the server side right now and for the life of me, I can't get Google to play nice (the all-too-vague UnauthorizedRegistration error), so I apparently have more to learn before I go writing or porting an agent's implementation. It should only take four or five tweaks to get it done, and in all honesty it seems like aesgcm128 could be phased out... and probably aesgcm as well (pretty sure the drafts expired on it).

I was also sorta wondering, do you have plans to make a subscription service separate from Mozilla and enable Service Workers and Push by default, or is Pale Moon gonna stay out of the webapp fad?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: aes128gcm WebPush Support

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-31, 02:47

About Push in Pale Moon:
https://www.palemoon.org/info-url/push.shtml

Service workers in Pale Moon:
Service workers are a terrible idea, unless you actually enjoy the idea of having your browser do stuff "in the background" that you have absolutely no control over.
We have no plans whatsoever to implement or enable this, because it's a privacy and security nightmare.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite