Wrong version number in the About dialog

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bravokilo

Wrong version number in the About dialog

Unread post by bravokilo » 2019-01-22, 11:53

I used the "Pale Moon profile backup tool" to install PM on my current computer. As always, it worked flawlessly...but....
Help -> About Pale Moon shows:
Version: 28.2.2 (64-bit)
Pale Moon is up to date

(Both computers are 64-bit Windows 7. Both had/have 64-bit PM.)

So I assume I'm using the latest, 28.3.0, and the version info supplied in the About box wasn't updated.
I'm almost but not definitely positive I upgraded to 28.3.0 on the first computer before backing it up.
I had PM installed on this current computer before running the restore, but it hadn't been updated since June 2018.

No problems or complaints. This is just an FYI that will probably be resolved with the next release.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Wrong version number in the About dialog

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-22, 12:11

If the about box says 28.2.2, then you are using 28.2.2. The displayed version number is determined at build time automatically and doesn't require manual updating by us.

If the check says you are up to date regardless, you may have clicked the wrong button in the update dialog (clicked "No Thanks" when presented with the update), marking the update as one you don't want (and it won't offer an update for that version again in that case). To clear that flag, check about:config for any app.update.never.{version} preferences and reset them (right-click -> Reset).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bravokilo

Unread post by bravokilo » 2019-01-23, 10:42

No mistakes here. Help -> About Pale Moon -> Check for Updates, then the usual 'Pale Moon is up to date'.
The same method I've used for about 4 years now.
There's no 'app.update.never*' in about:config.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-23, 11:17

My only suggestion is that you download the installer and use it to repair any discrepancies there may be in component versions now.
Pale Moon has been incorrectly flagged as a trojan with the latest 2 versions, so maybe something did go wrong with updating (e.g. omni.ja wasn't updated while the rest was) due to antivirus locking files or deleting them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bravokilo

Unread post by bravokilo » 2019-01-25, 08:13

Thank you for your help.
Help->About->Check for updates didn't work when 28.3.1 came out, but downloading and re-installing on top fixed it and kept all of my settings.
The update wasn't blocked by antivirus, firewall or system settings, so the obvious culprit is the profile backup tool? Even so, the benefits outweigh that one drawback, since it was so easy to fix. With all of the big changes detailed in the changelog, this kind of small problem isn't surprising.
This issue is resolved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-25, 08:35

The profile backup tool doesn't touch the actual program installation, so no, I don't think that could have done anything to it.