Something happened to (some?) icons in 28.3

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Something happened to (some?) icons in 28.3

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-17, 12:08

Moonchild wrote: I stayed up until 4 last night redrawing the SVGs
Appreciated.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-17, 14:20

Those with issues with blurry icons are invited to try the latest unstable with my hybrid solution.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-17, 14:28

I can report that the icons in 28.4.0a1 do look better for me. Thanks.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2019-01-17, 15:36

Thanks for reinstating previous icons for normal monitors in 28.4.0a1. I already compiled from master branch and tested changes. Userstyle changes are no longer necessary as result.

Muhandias

Unread post by Muhandias » 2019-01-17, 17:05

I tested the latest version of unstable at the time of writing, 28.4.0a1, and it seems to be working splendidly.

The reason I swapped to Pale Moon was because Mozilla made one annoying decision after another, removing things that I felt compelled to re-add with extensions. I never had a doubt that the blurry icons would stay that way for long here. Thank you for making this browser.
Attachments
Version 28.4.0a1 Unstable
Version 28.4.0a1 Unstable

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2019-01-17, 20:11

Moonchild wrote:Now before everyone goes and makes a ton of workarounds for the same thing, that you'll have to remove again with the point release, just bear with me, OK?
I stayed up until 4 last night redrawing the SVGs to have them pixel-aligned and to make an adaptive solution that works on all DPIs, and that will reintroduce your favored raster theme images for default resolutions.
The sheer compatibility with a wide range of systems, while at the same time trimming bloat and/or browser-centric unrelated features is one of the main reasons why Pale Moon remains to be a strong option for a great deal of users.
Moonchild wrote:What I'm surprised about as an aside is that it took for the release for anyone to make a peep about it, since we have the unstable channel exactly for this purpose (and it's been baking on it for a month): to catch this kind of system-dependent thing before it gets to release. There's plenty of people with enough PC knowledge here to run the unstable (even if just from time to time to check progress); please help us out by doing so?

If you have remarks about UI changes, let us know, too. We're not Mozilla -- we actually do want to keep a dialogue open with our users. I know some of you may have gotten into the habit of "just making a workaround for yourself" instead since nothing happens otherwise, but please try to break that habit here ;)
I do have to say that the unfortunate multiple times I did have to deal with Mozilla support, it was... subpar, to be nice about it heh.

Anyway, preliminary testing of v28.4.0a1 suggests that it does fix the previous navbar icon visibility issue. Before/after screenshots added for comparison's sake.
top_bar_28.3.0.PNG
28.4.0a1
top_bar_28.4.0a1.PNG
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-01-20, 17:54

this build takes a *very* long time to start up,( But later is faster, still.. :/ ) so you will get complaints and **giving up** from new users... :o :roll: :crazy:

I use 'splashed' addon to encourage them, but it seems the 'browser load overhead' (???) is still too much, it does not get displayed..

If It were possible to integrate the most basic version of something similar that is the VERY FIRST thing to start, it would be good for newbie popularity....:P
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-01-21, 09:56

Hmm, does PM do a 'system check' when it starts ??
after about ten loads, it now loads faster... ?????
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-21, 22:53

illiad wrote:Hmm, does PM do a 'system check' when it starts ??
after about ten loads, it now loads faster... ?????
I'd blame your antivirus software for holding the program hostage during startup until it's satisfied that it's "safe".

But what does this have to do with the icons in 28.3?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-01-22, 23:52

Same slow load at work, using domain based AV.. you would prefer to be unsafe?? :)

I came here worried about icons in noia theme..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-24, 02:09

illiad wrote:you would prefer to be unsafe?? :)
I'd actually prefer you stay on topic.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-01-24, 04:08

The LG UH6100 is an excellent example of a high DPI screen, I regularly used 130 or the like, before I gave it to my sister, after a Sony large LCD TV that she rented, reportedly wouldn't even turn on. I liked it when I had it, but went to an HP Omen 25-inch TN monitor for less latency.