Remove Subscribe to this page from bookmarks?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Brian

Remove Subscribe to this page from bookmarks?

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-16, 18:27

browser.urlbar.rss is set to false but I still have the "Subscribe to this page" in the bookmark menu. Why?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Remove Subscribe to this page from bookmarks?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-16, 20:27

Brian wrote:but I still have the "Subscribe to this page" in the bookmark menu. Why?

browser.urlbar.rss controls whether to show a feed button in the address bar; it has nothing to do with the bookmarks menu.

That entry can be removed from the menu by using userChrome.css.

This worked just now for me on Windows 7, PM 28.3.0:

Code: Select all

/*Remove "Subscribe to This Page" from Bookmarks menu*/
#subscribeToPageMenupopup {
  display: none !important
}

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-01-16, 20:30

If you are not using MacOS, you should be able to get rid of that subscribe line and its separator by using a userChrome.css file in a chrome subdirectory in the profile.
The code:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning -keep it at the top*/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
 /* set default namespace to XUL */

#subscribeToPageMenuitem + menuseparator, #subscribeToPageMenupopup {
display: none !important;}

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-16, 21:45

Thanks a lot. I know you have to create the css file, but I don't have a have a chrome folder either. Do I need to create it too?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-16, 21:58

Brian wrote:but I don't have a have a chrome folder either. Do I need to create it too?

Yes, you do.

(MZ-kb: chrome folder; profile.)

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2019-01-23, 16:51

Goodydino wrote:If you are not using MacOS, you should be able to get rid of that subscribe line and its separator by using a userChrome.css file in a chrome subdirectory in the profile.
The code:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning -keep it at the top*/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
 /* set default namespace to XUL */

#subscribeToPageMenuitem + menuseparator, #subscribeToPageMenupopup {
display: none !important;}
I added that code as-is but still have the subscribe to this page line.

This is for PM Portable. I put the chrome folder in:
C:\Program Files\Pale Moon Portable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\
And put userChrome.css in the chrome folder.

Also somehow my non-portable PM has the subscribe line removed, but has no chrome folder, so is there another way? I looked in:
C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-23, 19:07

Brian wrote:I added that code as-is but still have the subscribe to this page line.

This is for PM Portable. ...

Also somehow my non-portable PM has the subscribe line removed, but has no chrome folder, so is there another way?

AFAIK, no other way (unless some extension is doing this).

Try this:
  • Close out all versions of Pale Moon.
  • Then open the portable version. Only.
  • IMPORTANT: Make sure to start up using the portable shell, Palemoon-Portable.exe (and not " palemoon.exe " because that would indeed cause the portable to use the profile of the installed version).
  • Open about:support (Troubleshooting information) and click Open Folder. This should open whichever profile you are actually using, so you can check whether it's the profile you expect, and in fact contains chrome/userChrome.css. If anything isn't what you expect, fix it;
  • In addition, check if you perhaps left " .txt " on the userChrome file (userChrome.css.txt); if so, remove that.