Tracking (?) in new profile ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Tracking (?) in new profile ?

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2019-01-05, 05:21

A new PMoon profile is displaying suspicious behaviour in the PM StatusBar

Status Bar text:
  • Transferring data from.www.google-analytics.com...
    Waiting for MC.yandex.RU...
    Waiting for bam.nr-data.net...
    Transferring to/from Twitter...
    (I dont even use twitter ??
    Transferring data from ade.googlesyndication.com...
    Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com...
    . . . to name a few, strings cannot be copied to clipboard
PMoon has been very unstable for several months, very slow to start and crashing.
In an attempt to identify the source of the problem I created a new profile.
The instability persists in profile #2

My concern is (in this thread) the numerous Status bar text/strings ?
On some web pages the problem persists while the progress "spinner" is active in the webpage tab, sometimes stopped by "ESC" key
I have not changed any default PMoon settings other than ...
my PM Preferences-History settings.png
_OR_ maybe PMoon installation is sicker than I know, and only a clean install might/will fix.

Win-7 PRO x64
Palemoon v28.2.2 (32-bit)
No extensions in profile #2
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

JustOff

Re: Tracking (?) in new profile ?

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-05, 12:22

bawldiggle wrote:A new PMoon profile is displaying suspicious behaviour in the PM StatusBar
This shit is caused by https://palemoon.start.me/start that is set as the default home page. If necessary, you can easily change it to something more suitable for you.
On some web pages the problem persists while the progress "spinner" is active in the webpage tab, sometimes stopped by "ESC" key
This behavior may be caused by extensions that you have installed, in particular ad blockers, or incorrect work of the sites themselves.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-05, 14:12

JustOff wrote:This shit is caused by https://palemoon.start.me/start that is set as the default home page.
This "shit" as you so colorfully put it is harmless traffic caused by the display ad.
You should thank your stars that I've worked with the start.me people to just have a google ad there instead of their RTB ad they had for a while which was causing a ludicrous amount of traffic to over 100 sources.
If we reach enough patrons, I can also work with start.me to have the display ad removed on the common page, but we're not there yet. The portal takes money to operate - a simple hard fact.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-01-05, 18:05

I'm sorry for being such intolerant, I did not want to offend you. I just can't take modern advertising as acceptable, either online or in real life. I know your reasons well and do not try to argue with, but these can't change my feelings about start.me. Hope for your understanding.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-06, 02:09

I'm not offended, but you don't have to be so intolerant either, to be honest.
Remember that having a customizable home page is something that users asked for for years before we partnered up with start.me; the fact that it has one display ad to offset operating costs (as long as you don't have a paid account with them that makes all that go away) doesn't immediately mean it's shit, and as said I've worked with them to keep the advertising load reasonable, even if it means potentially less revenue from it. Advertising is part of what makes these sites available for free to you. If you're intolerant to that, then you're intolerant to a healthy on-line economy and too used to getting everything for free that isn't free to run.

It's a simple equation. Online services cost money to operate, both technically and for the manpower required (= the jobs it creates). That has to be paid somehow. If it's not paid by the user directly, then it'll be paid for some other way -- the least "evil" of that being with simple display advertising in the service.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite