Opening Dialog Box for PDF

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Condoman

Re: Opening Dialog Box for PDF

Unread post by Condoman » 2019-01-02, 22:26

coffeebreak: That is correct and when I changed I got the second dialog box with the correct extension. That behavior seems inconstant. Is this a bug or normal expectation?

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-01-02, 22:29

Preferences -> General -> Always ask me where to save files

Edit:
coffeebreak was faster. :)
Attachments
pdf2.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-02, 22:57

Condoman wrote:That behavior seems inconstant. Is this a bug or normal expectation?

It's not *expected* that a file downloaded to a predetermined folder ("Save files to"; browser.download.useDownloadDir = true) would lack a file extension, but I don't know what would cause it.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-03, 06:52

I'll note the same behavior exists in FF 64.

Automatic save, gets a file without an extension.
Save files to, gets .pdf extension.

(Not sure how to disable pdf.js in FF? At least all I tried in that arena has been unsuccessful.)

Might this be a "stream" rather then a "file"?
And when "automatically saved", has no "extension" in that respect?

(Not sure how to disable pdf.js in FF? At least all I tried in that arena has been unsuccessful.)
Ah, because its not for me to do ;-).
While I might attempt to disable (FF's) built-in pdf.js, it is the site/page (WIX) that has pdf.js built into it, with the pdf rendering on their end, displaying in the page.

That must have something to do with the behavior being seen, as it must be specific to that page (or any page similarly coded).

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2019-01-03, 16:48

Yes, Wix is using their own app that renders the page. I added that app to the page since it provides more features than just downloading the PDF. Because of the way they store files for web use this is the cleanest way to get the file. My bigger concern was that someone without computer knowledge would not know what to do. At least I have an answer for them should it come up.

Thanks everyone for helping.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-01-04, 18:59

Yes, MIME types can be awful sometimes.. for whatever reason (not usually bad ones! :roll: ) it could be a website generator, DOC to PDF, that it lost its extension.. I am not that :ugeek: , but anyhow..

If the mime goes bad, it can even stop you downloading - an example I had could not open it, as it thought the PDF was DOC!! :x :crazy:

a simple answer is to download a simple PDF reader - many think Adobes one has grown far too big, yet has simple abilities..
https://filehippo.com/software/office/pdf/
If ALL you want to do is read PDFS, foxit is a good very basic one..
If you want a better free one, many use PDF exchange, that looks very nice.

It depends on what 'expert' stuff you want to do :)
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P