Can I import settings/bookmarks/extensions/etc from an old version of Pale Moon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Male Poon

Can I import settings/bookmarks/extensions/etc from an old version of Pale Moon?

Unread post by Male Poon » 2018-12-11, 17:12

Apologies if these are stupid questions, or if they've been answered elsewhere. I searched and didn't see anything relevant.

My old (Windows 8.1 64 bit) PC broke, but the hard drive is fine. Pale Moon 27.2.1 is still on there.

Now I'm on a new-fangled (Windows 10 64-bit) PC, running the latest and greatest, 28.2.2.

Can I somehow import all the old settings, plugins, whatever, rather than tweak everything and download everything fresh?

Better yet, if I just transfer the Pale Moon folder from the old hard-drive's Program Files... what would happen?

Finally, would this be different if I were on Windows 7, 8.1, some other OS, etc... since I'm not going to be staying on 10 long anyway, I might as well find out now.

Cheers

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Can I import settings/bookmarks/extensions/etc from an old version of Pale Moon?

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-12-11, 18:58

Male Poon wrote:Finally, would this be different if I were on Windows 7, 8.1, some other OS, etc... since I'm not going to be staying on 10 long anyway, I might as well find out now.
You just need to copy over your profile folder from your old machine to the new one. This will include everything currently on your old machine. On Win7 it's located here:

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\

I don't know where it is located on Win10, but with a search, you should be able to find the location.
Last edited by LAR Grizzly on 2018-12-11, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Can I import settings/bookmarks/extensions/etc from an old version of Pale Moon?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-12-11, 19:16

It is in the same place on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

There have reportedly been some issues with importing v27 profiles into v28, so it is advisable to back up your existing profile prior to trying to open it in v28.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-12-11, 19:46

Isengrim wrote:There have reportedly been some issues with importing v27 profiles into v28, so it is advisable to back up your existing profile prior to trying to open it in v28.
Maybe the OP should install PM 27.2.1, copy over the profile and then let it update to 28.2.2?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-11, 19:53

LAR Grizzly wrote:
Isengrim wrote:There have reportedly been some issues with importing v27 profiles into v28, so it is advisable to back up your existing profile prior to trying to open it in v28.
Maybe the OP should install PM 27.2.1, copy over the profile and then let it update to 28.2.2?
I agree install 27.2.1 and upgrade.

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/27.x/27.2.1/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Male Poon

Unread post by Male Poon » 2018-12-14, 11:26

Worked like a charm, thanks guys.

I installed 27.2.1 per suggestion, don't know if going straight to 28 would've worked.

One wrinkle, easily fixed, which I will leave here in case anybody else had the same problem:

So, you take your old profile folder, here named "[oldprofile].default", and you drop it in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles.

In the Profiles folder, there will also be a folder called "[newprofile].default", which I guess is just the default settings from the new install. I went ahead and deleted that - might have been a bad idea because Pale Moon wouldn't start - it was unable to load a profile.

Here's what I did.

In C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon there is a file called profiles.ini - if you open it in Notepad, you get:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/[newprofile].default
Default=1
Replace the part in bold with the name of your old profile folder, save, bob's your uncle.

So simple even I could figure it out! (People who know more than me: if that was a terrible idea and I've accidentally broken my computer, do please let me know.)

Thanks again fwends

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-12-14, 21:20

Male Poon wrote:So simple even I could figure it out! (People who know more than me: if that was a terrible idea and I've accidentally broken my computer, do please let me know.)
To avoid that in the future, copy over the whole Moonchild Productions folder, not the profile(s) within.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-14, 22:19

Guys, there are no known issues with upgrading a profile from older to newer. This is totally accounted for.. What isn't is downgrading to an older milestone as thst basically makes your profile corrupt and will lead to issues even if you reupgrade.