Update re: tabs AND a new problem (Amazon Prime) ...

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Omnimaxus

Update re: tabs AND a new problem (Amazon Prime) ...

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-12-08, 02:10

Hi, everyone. So, it appears the random missing "X's" in the tabs upon loading Pale Moon just *might* have been resolved with version 28.2.2. I will continue to monitor this, but so far, so good (and this is after multiple starts). I don't know what Moonchild did under the hood for this release (checking the changelog did not reveal anything obvious, but who knows?), but whatever it was, it works, I guess. (Thanks!) But now I regret to say that a new problem has arisen. Whenever I try to play Amazon Prime videos in Pale Moon, I get an error message that indicates the video can't be played. (See included image herewith.) Can anyone help? Appreciate it.

Side note: I do have Silverlight installed as a plug-in. Thanks!
prime.jpg
Last edited by Omnimaxus on 2018-12-08, 02:12, edited 2 times in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Update re: tabs AND a new problem (Amazon Prime) ...

Unread post by doofy » 2018-12-08, 02:13

I assume its DRM.

PM does not support DRM.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-08, 03:36

PM does not and will not support DRM.

However you can use Basilisk to watch such content.
(Download here, dedicated board here.)

Omnimaxus

Unread post by Omnimaxus » 2018-12-12, 16:30

Thanks to both for responding here. Why won't Pale Moon support DRM-based video? Can anyone from the Pale Moon team chip in here, please? Seems like an "interesting" choice to do this, especially since tons of people do play videos in their browsers, like with Prime and Netflix. These services are mainstream enough for DRM-based video playback to be deemed a necessity for any browser to accommodate if the browser is to stay relevant.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-12-12, 17:43

Omnimaxus wrote:Can anyone from the Pale Moon team chip in here, please?
I am not officially part of the Pale Moon team, but I can point to some survey results from last year.
Pale Moon Survey 2017 wrote:The message here is clear: users have no issue using a different browser to get their media just from that website (and probably would be just as happy with a desktop application specifically for the streaming site IF executed properly).
Of note: a good 1/3rd of our users would stop using the Media Streaming site altogether if it's not kept open/accessible. I hope site owners become aware of these numbers and act accordingly if they don't want to lose their customers.
Pale Moon Survey 2017 wrote:We're aware that in-browser DRM is being pushed pretty hard by several big players (who, not-so-coincidentally, are also involved in editing and publishing the very HTML specifications that make this possible in-browser) and our approach is that "black-box" DRM content decoding modules have no place in an Open Source browser. It is even debatable whether DRM actually does anything to combat what it is supposed to be designed for.
In light of this, and also following the results from this survey, we remain firm in that, out of principle as well as our users' desire, we will keep the browser completely free of DRM. People who have commented that this approach was (one of) the main reason(s) to choose Pale Moon as their browser can rest easy in the knowledge that it will not find its way into this browser.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-12-12, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story