CBS Videos Won't Play

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: CBS Videos Won't Play

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-12-08, 19:01

Inquiring wrote:Is there a way to roll back the update?
1. Back up your profile directory (just in case).
2. Download whichever older version you want from here: http://www.palemoon.org/archived.shtml
3. Uninstall Pale Moon (but do not delete your profile/data files).
4. Install the older version that you downloaded.

HOWEVER: Since you're already running PM 28, do not go back to an earlier milestone (anything before PM 28.0.0). Reinstalling PM 27 or less on a profile that has already been upgraded to PM 28 will cause problems (and possible file corruption) due to various incompatibilities. Also keep in mind that earlier versions will not receive the same level of support here as the current version does.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-08, 21:21

It's not an issue with the latest version. It's also not just a DRM issue. If it's just a DRM issue, then how did I do this? Seriously, how did I do this because I have no idea why it's working in this browser.
cbsscreen.jpg

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-08, 21:54

Cassette wrote:If it's just a DRM issue, then how did I do this? Seriously, how did I do this because I have no idea why it's working in this browser.

Well yeah... Cassette, thanks for being so persistent.

It just now worked here in a new profile in PM 28.2.2. Made only two changes, without which it would stop after the ad:
- Enabled MSE for WebM video in Preferences > Content.
- Changed from Firefox Compat to Native mode.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-08, 22:13

I think you've cracked the code, coffeebreak. I don't think you need to check the MSE for WebM, though. I have it unchecked and it plays. In fact, I'm set to Gecko comparability and it plays.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-12-08, 23:16

I think there's more going on here. It doesn't work for me, either in Native or Gecko mode.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-12-08, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-08, 23:43

helloimustbegoing wrote:I think there's more going on here. It doesn't work for me, either in Native or Gecko mode.
It should be working for you. Make sure you have Flash installed and enabled. There's also the possibility of an extension interfering. The extension, RightToClick will interfere, for example.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-12-09, 01:02

Thanks, everybody.

Nigaikaze: the archive page only includes versions through 25, not 26, 27, or 28.

However, coffeebreak got it. I created a new profile with Native mode selected, and it worked. Nice job, coffeebreak! It always amazes me how people find these obscure solutions. Note: whether MSE for WebM is checked or not doesn't seem to matter. Nor the extensions (at least the ones I have), since starting in safe mode didn't help.

The only problem with Native mode is that I believe some other sites that worked in FF mode won't work in Native. I recall changing to FF compat a while back for that reason, though I don't remember the sites. Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching between them?

I'll try transferring files/folders from the new profile into the old one, to see if I can find what broke it originally. Will update if/when I find it. And when it worked before, it bypassed the ads, which it doesn't with the new profile. Hoping to restore that.
Last edited by Inquiring on 2018-12-09, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-12-09, 01:11

Inquiring wrote:
Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching betweeen them?
I second this suggestion.

(BTW, the reason it didn't work for me is that I don't have Flash installed. I missed that the site uses Flash . . . which kind of surprises me that CBS would use Flash.)

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-09, 01:14

Inquiring wrote: Nigaikaze: the archive page only includes versions through 25, not 26, 27, or 28.
I'm seeing 26, 27, and 28 on the archive page. That's how I got 28.2.1. You're going to the page here ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/ right?
Inquiring wrote: The only problem with Native mode is that I believe some other sites that worked in FF mode won't work in Native. I recall changing to FF compat a while back for that reason, though I don't remember the sites. Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching betweeen them?
A better solution is to simply create a user agent override for cbs.com in your about:config menu. Create a new string for general.useragent.override.cbs.com and make it

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:4.1) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/28.2.2
Then you can stay on Firefox compatibility mode and have CBS videos working.
Last edited by Cassette on 2018-12-09, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-12-09, 01:15

Inquiring wrote:Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching betweeen them?
I use Eclipsed Moon for this. With one button press, I'm Firefox.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-12-09, 01:19

Cassette wrote:
Inquiring wrote: Nigaikaze: the archive page only includes versions through 25, not 26, 27, or 28.
I'm seeing 26, 27, and 28 on the archive page. That's how I got 28.2.1. You're going to the page here ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/ right?
Yes, but I thought they were in numerical order. I missed the 20s in the middle of the list. I'll remember for next time, if there is one (hopefully not).
Cassette wrote:
Inquiring wrote: The only problem with Native mode is that I believe some other sites that worked in FF mode won't work in Native. I recall changing to FF compat a while back for that reason, though I don't remember the sites. Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching betweeen them?
A better solution is to simply create a user agent override for cbs.com in your about:config menu. Create a new string for general.useragent.override.cbs.com and make it

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:4.1) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/28.2.2
Then you can stay on Firefox compatibility mode and have CBS videos working.
Fabulous, thanks!

Update: Added the override, and now it works, without my having to reconcile the old and new profiles. It also skips the ads, as it did before, except for one at the beginning. So it appears that the solution is just to add the override to about:config. The compatibility setting can remain in FF mode. Cassette, you retired the MVP award for the evening. Thanks.
Last edited by Inquiring on 2018-12-09, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-12-09, 01:24

doofy wrote:
Inquiring wrote:Is there a way to put a button or the Compatibility dropdown on the menu bar that will allow switching betweeen them?
I use Eclipsed Moon for this. With one button press, I'm Firefox.
Another solution--thanks!

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-12-09, 11:07

It may be possible that the web-site will fallback to using Flash Player if the user-agent indicates a browser that does not support EME.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-12-09, 14:49

Yes, that is what it looks like is happening.

The MSE setting for Webm looks to have no bearing (with CBS playback).

Both the Compatibility modes; Native & Gecko, do not include "Firefox" in their reported strings, so CBS not knowing what "Goanna" is reverts back to using Flash.

So I would think it better to set up an override - for CBS, rather setting a global override, which is what Compatibility mode does (with exceptions for site specific overrides).

general.useragent.override.cbs.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.9) Goanna/4.1 PaleMoon/28.2.2
Last edited by therube on 2018-12-09, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-09, 15:34

Cassette wrote:I don't think you need to check the MSE for WebM, though. I have it unchecked and it plays.

I didn't realize at first that it was using Flash Player, and for some odd reason at first it actually seemed to need it. Maybe one of the ads required it, or more likely I was daydreaming :\ .
yami_ wrote:It may be possible that the web-site will fallback to using Flash Player if the user-agent indicates a browser that does not support EME.

Yes. Adding a native PM UA override for CBS to Basilisk (DRM was disabled) caused CBS to offer the Flash Player version there too.

tamilyn007

Unread post by tamilyn007 » 2019-01-15, 01:13

First thing, I am computer illiterate. I have read this whole thread and don't understand. When I try to play a video on CBS, I get this error, { dash.js Error. Type = mediasource, ID = Unknown, Message = Unknown }. My flash player is updated, but don't know how to check to see if it is activated. I have tried the native mode and the other one and it doesn't work. I have no idea how to do an override and no clue what Basilisk is except for a mythical creature that turns you to stone. So I'm a geek with a technology impairment, don't even have a cell phone. I've been watching on firefox because netflix and hulu don't work either on my palemoon. HELP!!

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-15, 02:00

Don't double-post - the mods will think you are spamming.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

tamilyn007

Unread post by tamilyn007 » 2019-01-15, 02:07

I was unaware of this thread before I posted the other one, which is why I have changed it to this thread, but thanks, I didn't know that.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-15, 02:39

tamilyn007 wrote:I have no idea how to do an override
This guide is pretty helpful in detailing how to create a user agent override.
tamilyn007 wrote:and no clue what Basilisk is
It's another browser made by the Pale Moon team, mostly for testing purposes. One of the key differences between it and Pale Moon is that Basilisk includes Encrypted Media Extensions, a feature that allows for watching DRM-protected content.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story