How can I "enable indexeddb" in Pale Moon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moggie

How can I "enable indexeddb" in Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moggie » 2018-12-05, 16:02

Am using Windows 7 on a 64 bit computer.

Thanks,
Mog

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: How can I "enable indexeddb" in Pale Moon?

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-05, 16:13

IndexedDB should already be enabled. In case it is disabled for some reason, go to about:config and change the value of dom.indexedDB.enabled to true.
Last edited by adesh on 2018-12-05, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-05, 16:45

adesh wrote:In case it is disabled for some reason, go to about:config and change the value of dom.indexedDB.enabled to true.
@adesh, that was true until recently. (see issue #765)
Moggie wrote:How can I "enable indexeddb" in Pale Moon?

It's globally enabled, and since release of PM 28.2 cannot be globally disabled.

But it's also been tied to cookie permissions, so indexedDB can be enabled/disabled for individual domains by enabling/disabling cookies for that site.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-12-05, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2018-12-06, 04:36

Thanks for all the replies. Could not find that line in about:config.

I use Tutanota mail and since they updated last week, each time I log in to my e-mail I get a pop-up box that reads: YOUR BROWSER DOES NOT SUPPORT DATA STORAGE. THAT IS WHY WE'VE DISABLED THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

This box won't go away until I click 'OK'.

A tech at Tuta said it might be because "enabled indexeddb" had been disabled in my browser. That would not have been something I did. Anyway, I don't know why this box keeps popping up.

Any ideas as to why would be welcomed.

Cheers

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-12-06, 17:46

Are you sure that they are talking about indexed DB and not DOM storage?

Moggie

Unread post by Moggie » 2018-12-06, 19:11

Hi Goodydino,

The only thing Tuta tech mentioned was 'enabled indexddb'. I have no idea if they are targeting the wrong area as my computer knowledge is limited. If you think it might be browser related, and you have any suggestions on what I can try to fix it, I'd welcoming hearing.

Cheers,
Mog

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-06, 22:17

Have you tried running in safe mode?
Do you have "security" extensions installed?
There's a chance that it's actually localstorage (or DOM storage, however you want to call it), and if you have such an extension, it might block it or something.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-06, 22:21

Sounds to me like you have some extension that blocks necessary web features.
IndexedDB is always enabled in Pale Moon, and can only be disabled by extensions blocking access to it or by blocking cookies and site data on specific domains.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-07, 00:56

Moggie wrote:I use Tutanota mail and since they updated last week, each time I log in to my e-mail I get a pop-up box that reads: YOUR BROWSER DOES NOT SUPPORT DATA STORAGE. THAT IS WHY WE'VE DISABLED THE SEARCH FUNCTION.
[...]
A tech at Tuta said it might be because "enabled indexeddb" had been disabled in my browser.

I see this too, specifically with PM 28.2.* (not with PM 28.1, or PM 27.9.4).

The relevant storage does seem to be indexedDB: it was clear in PM 28.1, where that storage could be globally disabled, that mail search was enabled only when indexedDB was enabled (local storage on/off didn't seem to matter).

Tested with new profile in PM 28.2.2, default settings: indexedDB data from Tutanota was stored in the profile, but search was disabled, and the notice popped up after signing in:
tutanota-data-storage.png
Error console

Code: Select all

Error: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) 
[nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref] Source File: resource://app/components/WebContentConverter.js Line: 359

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-07, 01:07

The preference error is because a preference name is referenced in the feed reader which doesn't exist -- but that should have nothing to do with IndexedDB.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-07, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-07, 01:17

There was another issue that was ported from Mozilla touching IndexedDB, and that actually corrected a long-standing spec compliance issue -- perhaps being spec compliant now breaks their search? or perhaps there was an issue with the implementation porting it across, although I did not see any issues with some tests performed using indexeddb.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-07, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-07, 02:06

I've made a test build with the suspect spec compliance bug backed out, and tutanota still threw the error, so that's definitely not it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-07, 09:07

Make a useragent override for tutanota.com, pretending to be Firefox 52.9. Search will work then.
I'm not sure what difference there is in their code for Firefox 60 (the default compatibility version for Pale Moon as of the latest releases) in this respect. it would be nice to know so we can look into it.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-07, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-07, 16:31

Moonchild wrote:Make a useragent override for tutanota.com, pretending to be Firefox 52.9. Search will work then.

That works. Thank you.
Moggie wrote:any suggestions on what I can try to fix it, I'd welcoming hearing.
  1. Open a new tab. Type about:config in the address bar, and hit enter.
    (If it's the first time you've opened about:config, you'll get a warning page. Click "I promise to be careful" and proceed.)
  2. Right-click anywhere on the page and from the context menu select: New > String.
    Paste the following text into the box that pops up; click OK:

general.useragent.override.tutanota.com
  3. In the next box that pops up, paste the following string; click OK again:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/28.2.2
Tutanota search should work for you now, and the "notice popup" should be gone.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-12-07, 18:54

coffeebreak wrote:
adesh wrote:In case it is disabled for some reason, go to about:config and change the value of dom.indexedDB.enabled to true.
@adesh, that was true until recently. (see issue #765)
Moggie wrote:How can I "enable indexeddb" in Pale Moon?

It's globally enabled, and since release of PM 28.2 cannot be globally disabled.

But it's also been tied to cookie permissions, so indexedDB can be enabled/disabled for individual domains by enabling/disabling cookies for that site.
I thought that it was DOM storage that was tied to cookie permissions, not indexed DB.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-07, 20:35

Goodydino wrote:I thought that it was DOM storage that was tied to cookie permissions, not indexed DB.

Now they both are. For indexedDB it's recent, see the issue linked in your quote.