anyone else facing problems with facebook and amazon sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

anyone else facing problems with facebook and amazon sites

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-04, 21:32

been troubled since version 28. obviously i had many problems with some plugins. deleted a lot,did a lot of troubleshooting, think got really better. but after a while, problems occur again. now, this shouldnt be down to addons anymore. i even have these issues with addons disabled and starting in safe mode...
my latest upgrade was to use the x64 version (stupid of me not doing that for so much time). things got better for a while.
now the latest problem is with amazon, especially with amazon.com
slow loading and 2 out of 3 times the server fails and i get a white page...
on facebook, whenever i try to add a like or a "heart" on a post, sometimes it doesnt work at all (no emoticon loading), sometimes it opens a pop up of who liked the post, some times i see a black square on top of the like button etc...
and sometimes loading of news takes forever. but not always. most other pages behave much much better. but amazon and facebook are a hell for me...

am i alone in this??
thank you

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: anyone else facing problems with facebook and amazon sites

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-12-04, 22:07

I can't speak for Facebook since my wife and I don't have an accounts there so there is no reason for us to visit Facebook.

But we both access Amazon and we have no problems on there at all. No problems loggin in or out. No problems ordering anything either. Amazon usually loads in one second of time and this is on any of our 4 computers running both 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce or 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.2.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7.

All of our computers have i7 processors with the fastest processor speed of 3.40 GHz and the slowest is 2.50 GHz. Memory ranges for our 4 computers ranges from highest to lowest, 24 GB to 8 GB.

On all 4 computers, we have only two extensions working with Pale Moon and they are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude. For user agents, we use Firefox Compatibility mode. Since some of the sites I visit use Flash, I have linux and windows Flash 31.0.0.153 on all 4 computers installed as well.

I have Comcast (Xfinity) as my ISP and with my two desktop tower computers with a straight ethernet cable connection, I get 178 Mbps. The two laptops using wireless get 57 Mbps.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-12-04, 22:58

No problems here with either Facebook or Amazon.com.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-04, 23:05

oh god... if it isnt any addon, since problems exist in safe mode as well, might it be some settings?
got to solve this eventually....
and it is no problem of my pc since it is powerfull with 8 giga ram...

at least, i know for sure that it is just me...

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-12-04, 23:16

porotikos wrote:if it isnt any addon, since problems exist in safe mode as well, might it be some settings?
One way to test that is to try accessing those sites with a brand new clean profile. If you have problems in safe mode but not with a new profile, then it could very likely be some settings (or some corruption in your old profile).
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-04, 23:21

just opened palemoon portable. i just installed febe to put back my passwords. and also, session manager addon to be able to load my session.
nothing else, no messing with settings or anything.
same problems.
can it be because i have 270 tabs open, spread in 12 windows? i know it seems much, but never had problems with any other browser, i have 8gb ram, hdd cache, i run windows from an ssd and my pc is fast... i used to have no problems but now....
and i need all those windows...

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2018-12-05, 02:06

porotikos wrote:can it be because i have 270 tabs open, spread in 12 windows?
Could be. Try it with 1 or 2 tabs and 1 window. See if that makes a difference.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-12-05, 04:14

porotikos wrote:
can it be because i have 270 tabs open, spread in 12 windows?
That would be an excellent guess on your part because that is my guess also.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-05, 11:55

Using the portable and then restoring your profile isn't really a good way to test if it is the browser. If you import your session and it contains facebook tabs then it may recreate the problem from the session.

have you tried the simpler solution of clearing your cache and cookies?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-05, 19:05

thank you my friend for the observation.
loading just facebook page or amazon in the portable palemoon, everything worked fine. flawlessly.
then i started deleting unecessary tabs. now i only have 200 tabs open. i also deleted all cookies and cache. things are really improved. not as fast and flawless as in portable where i have just one tab open, but still very very much improved. ill work it on, from here

any ideas of some settings i could change, to make it even better for my many tabs? thank you all. cheers

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-12-05, 19:51

porotikos wrote:any ideas of some settings i could change, to make it even better for my many tabs? thank you all. cheers
Bar Tab Tycho or Lull The Tabs

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-05, 19:55

Bar Tab Tycho is, as the name says, for Tycho (v27). It has also been development-discontinued in favor of Lull the Tabs, so you should use that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-12-05, 20:09

BTT works fine in PM28.
I dropped LTT on PM27 in favor of BTT, cos LTT didn't play nice with my setup.

I s'pose I ought to try LTT on PM28, but I'm lazy...

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-05, 20:11

i am using ltt, butright now i changed the settings for tab unload, to 1 minute. things are looking great. i might set the timeout to 0 minutes, but i dont know if this is a good idea. thank you guys

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-12-05, 20:35

bloody hell, amazon still shows some problems. now, it showed the error "SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP"
anyway, thank you all for your help

drharri

Unread post by drharri » 2018-12-07, 19:59

After months of non-use of Facebook (in Windows XP) I notice that in Windows 7 and PM 28.2.1 the Facebook performance is still terribly sluggish, compared to Chrome for instance. So apparently no or very little advancement.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-12-08, 16:35

Lull The Tabs is only good for unloading tabs after you've opened several, correct? So using it won't be any more beneficial than a freshly opened PM, with lazy tabs enabled.
Also, how does having many tabs on the tab bar, but not active, slow down the browser? I thought that's what the purpose of lazy tabs is.

PM has been slow for me for years on hugely bloated sites like facebook, amazon, walmart, target, etc, even with a brand new install, but the difference in me and you that say you have no problems is your PC is fast/high capacity, and mine is slow/low capacity (1.3Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM). So I just accept it.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-12-08, 17:40

My issue with Facebook is that I can't update my status. As soon as I start typing the box goes blank and stays blank. This didn't start after a particular update so I think it's something that changed on the Facebook page itself that Pale Moon doesn't understand how to render properly.

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2018-12-10, 18:34

Ozzed wrote:My issue with Facebook is that I can't update my status. As soon as I start typing the box goes blank and stays blank. This didn't start after a particular update so I think it's something that changed on the Facebook page itself that Pale Moon doesn't understand how to render properly.
I have this problem, too.

This Facebook text box "disappearing" just started recently for me. As of the last update to 28.2.2. (or the one before that)
Win 10 Pro 64-bit

WORK AROUND (?): Add a photo, enter your text, delete the photo.
Last edited by pmBill on 2018-12-10, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.

Shaft0001

Unread post by Shaft0001 » 2018-12-11, 13:49

Ozzed wrote:My issue with Facebook is that I can't update my status. As soon as I start typing the box goes blank and stays blank. This didn't start after a particular update so I think it's something that changed on the Facebook page itself that Pale Moon doesn't understand how to render properly.
Having the same issue as of the recent auto-update that came out on 12/6. Running a plain jane default config with no add-ons setup under Win7 for the last several months without issues. I did try the suggested work around of adding a picture and then removing it before saving the post it worked 1 out of 2 tries.