Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :( Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Octopuss

Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :(

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-22, 12:00

@moonchild, is there anything that could be done about FB without doing things that are against the PM coding concepts (or how to put it)?
It's still BAD, and I mean horrible.
Yes, FB is crap, but if it can ne borderline lightning fast in Firefox, there's no reason it shouldn't be at least quick in PM, I'd say.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Nagash.Tatt ... e_internal

Scrolling through the photos is horribly stuttery. When you get to the bottom of the page, it just simply stops to load more. It's inconsistent and laggy. It's buttery smooth in Firefox.

Opening individual photos take significantly longer than in Firefox - about two seconds vs instantly, and the more photos I open the worse it gets. After few tens of them I am at roughly four seconds!!! At some point (first attempt before restarting PM to have a better idea) the photos even started loading in really weird steps. First I'd see the wall with a photo as an individual post, then it would sort of enlarge, and then it would open in the final version with comments on the right side.
Last edited by Octopuss on 2018-11-22, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

snertev

Re: Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :(

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-22, 12:50

Octopuss wrote:@moonchild, is there anything that could be done about FB without doing things that are against the PM coding concepts (or how to put it)?
It's still BAD, and I mean horrible.
Yes, FB is crap, but if it can ne borderline lightning fast in Firefox, there's no reason it shouldn't be at least quick in PM, I'd say.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Nagash.Tatt ... e_internal

Scrolling through the photos is horribly stuttery. When you get to the bottom of the page, it just simply stops to load more. It's inconsistent and laggy. It's buttery smooth in Firefox.
I think disabling smooth scrolling helps in this case.
Octopuss wrote: Opening individual photos take significantly longer than in Firefox - about two seconds vs instantly, and the more photos I open the worse it gets. After few tens of them I am at roughly four seconds!!! At some point (first attempt before restarting PM to have a better idea) the photos even started loading in really weird steps. First I'd see the wall with a photo as an individual post, then it would sort of enlarge, and then it would open in the final version with comments on the right side.
Indeed, I see no difference in opening or navigating photos beetween Firefox and Pale Moon in a single tab.

While multiple tabs are open there is some difference, but I think it's expected because of Firefox multiprocess architecture.

BTW, I'm using this useragent on FB:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0

because the default one is sniffed as "bad" for "security" from FB and they block my account without reason. :thumbdown:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-22, 14:01

I'm sorry but I don't see any issue at all with that URL. Scrolling is fine, it loads continuously while you keep scrolling to the bottom, photos load fast, etc.

I also tried multiple tabs open with photo galleries, also no difference.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-11-22, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2018-11-22, 14:29

I was having trouble with facebook in particular, and some other issues in general. I was about to dump Palemoon altogether, but there was one last ditch attempt I wanted to try.

My situation: My Palemoon installation contained my profile that went back as far as the days of Netscape/Seamonkey. In the back of my head, In suspected that this was contributing to my issues.

So, I did a clean install, saving only my bookmarks file and the logins/passwords files(without which, lets face it, a couple decades of bookmarks would be as worthless as tits on a bull)

Long story short, things now work ever so much better, even facebook.

A shout out to Tomaso for showing me that I should in fact go ahead with what I wanted to do, that it was an actual 'thing', and some instructions on how to do it. To therube too for showing me where the bookmarks file was...

Thanks guys....

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-22, 18:38

Facebook is a bit faster on Firefox but it's not such a dramatic difference as you describe. Your tatoo link works and scrolls normally and is not irritating at all. I will agree that for lengthy Facebook sessions, FB can get problematic at times though.

You should try what Rickkins said and clean up your profile. Many us on Pale Moon use several extensions with "heavy" profiles and I've noticed FB is sensitive, especially with content-blocking extensions.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-22, 20:13

I'll try the smooth scrolling idea.
For me, it's any page/gallery with lots of photos, and it gets progressively worse the more photos I open/close and the further down the page I scroll.

My profile was created when PM28 was released, so unfortunately that cannot be the culprit (how I wish it was!!).

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-22, 21:07

What's your CPU/GPU? I've seen that FB runs much better on a system with a modern CPU/standard mobile GPU than on another with an ancient CPU/modern-dedicated GPU.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-22, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-22, 22:54

I'm also having severe issues with palemoon and Facebook, usually when I scroll using the middle button and moving downwards, other pages will only stall every 2 seconds or so, but Facebook is very jittery and jerky and it stalls more often than every 2 seconds. Is this a sign I should wipe my profile and start over? It also happens in safe mode.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-23, 22:31

A little bit of an update from me regarding this issue. I have experimented a bit with different settings. I turned off disk cache, so that cache is only in the RAM, and switched from Adblock Latitude to ABPrime (settings are compatible so you can switch them and your filter and so on stays). And I turned off "count filter hits" for ABprime.

Result? Scolling is still a bit choppy but now it's actually a tolerable experience instead of the "stop motion"-like experience I was having with Facebook before.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-23, 23:15

A related note because of near endless loading when scrolling the dom is going to be modified everytime you scroll down to about half way to the last third of the currently loaded content on facebook and giving Facebook's ungodly heavy js and dom revealuation plus action by any content blockers on the fly it is little wonder that it runs like shit.

This does highly depend on cpu, gpu, ram, browser, snd extensions (including webex based).

Not such a simple request is "Facebook runs like shit.. Fix it". For me personally, as I think I said already, Facebook is laggy on even Chrome.

As i have already said as well, Facebook's website is barely optimised on it's intended browser and I think they do this intentionally to get people to be fed up compared to the aaaaaaaaapp on their phone which leaks far more data you agreed to share vs a web browser.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-23, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-24, 10:48

No doubt about the site being shit. It's way worse than that and not just from performance point of view.

My PC is runs moderately (stably!) overclocked i7 3770K and AMD Rx 580. I do use hw acceleration (makes no difference if I don't). I use Ublock. Used Adblocks in past and it ran pretty much the same.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 10:58

Octopuss wrote:No doubt about the site being shit. It's way worse than that and not just from performance point of view.

My PC is runs moderately (stably!) overclocked i7 3770K and AMD Rx 580. I do use hw acceleration (makes no difference if I don't). I use Ublock. Used Adblocks in past and it ran pretty much the same.
You can use the mobile site on desktop too: https://m.facebook.com/ :D

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-24, 11:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:A related note because of near endless loading when scrolling the dom is going to be modified everytime you scroll down to about half way to the last third of the currently loaded content on facebook and giving Facebook's ungodly heavy js and dom revealuation plus action by any content blockers on the fly it is little wonder that it runs like shit.

This does highly depend on cpu, gpu, ram, browser, snd extensions (including webex based).

Not such a simple request is "Facebook runs like shit.. Fix it". For me personally, as I think I said already, Facebook is laggy on even Chrome.

As i have already said as well, Facebook's website is barely optimised on it's intended browser and I think they do this intentionally to get people to be fed up compared to the aaaaaaaaapp on their phone which leaks far more data you agreed to share vs a web browser.
Is there any reason why ABPrime seems to run so much better than Adblock Latitude? I'm not a coder by any means so it's very difficult to know why I see such a dramatic change in smoothnes.

That being said, I still feel as though chrome and basilisk can run facebook smoother than Pale Moon can, and "near endless loading when scrolling the dom is going to be modified everytime you scroll down to about half way to the last third of the currently loaded content on facebook and giving Facebook's ungodly heavy js and dom revealuation plus action by any content blockers on the fly" is something that all browsers have to deal with, not Pale Moon specifically.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-24, 11:43

Try disabling your adblocker for both facebook.com and fbcdn.net to see if there's a performance gain. Better yet, first try disabling it entirely as a test.
Octopuss wrote:No doubt about the site being shit. It's way worse than that and not just from performance point of view.

My PC is runs moderately (stably!) overclocked i7 3770K and AMD Rx 580.
That CPU is fairly old, perhaps FB is optimized for more modern hardware, apart from targeting specific browsers. Or anyway, the way they built their over-the-top website works better on the best available hardware.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-24, 11:50, edited 3 times in total.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-24, 12:15

A website requiring less than five years old CPU for optimum performance is utter nonsense. We are talking about i7 running at 4,4GHz for christ's sake. By that logic FB wouldn't work on most notebooks at all.

I tried disabling adblocking in past and gained nothing but ads :D

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-24, 12:39

Off-topic:
Octopuss wrote:We are talking about i7 running at 4,4GHz for christ's sake.
When measuring CPU performance the clock rate is only one of several things that you should take into account.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-24, 12:40

So, you are saying that websites (not just FB) won't work significantly better on newer hardware? Interesting. No one said FB won't work at all, it's not a black or white issue and almost all websites have no such problems. That's why you created this thread: it's for FB's performance alone.

Also, not sure why you are bolding "websites". There are "websites" that can max your CPU to 100% if they are so inclined. So yes, a 2018 CPU will perform much better than a 2012 one no matter the GHz number. April 2012-November 2018 is six and a half years, not "less than five". Some would say it's a huge gap.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-24, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-24, 12:41

Octopuss wrote:A website requiring less than five years old CPU for optimum performance is utter nonsense. We are talking about i7 running at 4,4GHz for christ's sake. By that logic FB wouldn't work on most notebooks at all.

I tried disabling adblocking in past and gained nothing but ads :D
What adblocker are you using? I found that Adblock Latitude is absolute utter garbage for Facebook, while ABPrime works alot better, and they share settings so you can just switch them and your filters and settings for sites will stay.

Also, no matter what adblocker you are using, Try disabling "count filter hits". This is an absolute nonsense setting thar, when enabled, reduces performance to a crawl. I'm honestly not sure why it's even there? I'm pretty sure no one cares about it, but even if a limited amount of deviant individuals did, it's a bad idea to have it enabled by default since it absolutely trashes performance.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-24, 13:03

Some more numbers:

PC1: 2009 desktop CPU, quite beefy for its time, lots of GHz. 2018 GPU, good entry level specs. Using Pale Moon x64.
PC2: 2015 i5 mobile CPU, less GHz than the PC1 CPU. 2015 GPU, typically unexciting mobile GPU. Using Pale Moon x86.

Facebook runs better on PC2.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-11-24, 16:46

2.5ghz core2duo Win7 32bit - facebook is used on PM daily and is acceptable in performance for such a badly designed site. It slows as it dynamically loads lots of graphical content but that is the nature of the beast - but overall and when the content has been downloaded it is still quick and usable. Firefox 32bit ESR is slow and choppy on startup and slower in general when displaying FB.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-11-24, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.