Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :( Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
grayhoose

Re: Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :(

Unread post by grayhoose » 2018-12-04, 17:47

Rickkins wrote:~sigh~

Despite my own best efforts, Facebook on Palemoon still gets more and more sluggish as the day continues.

This truly sucks, as I like my browser to look exactly as it does with Palemoon. I find other looks and feels, wanting. I'm old, and I don't wanna change.
what he said

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-04, 18:46

It gets even worse for me - I get noticeable lag typing into the chat window most of the time.

I also thought it could be my system being slowed down by the Spectre/Meltdown protection, but I already have those disabled.

Yea, it's a CPU from 2012 I am running, but it's overclocked, and considering people are using PM on much slower and sometimes even older machines, this should not matter at all.
I guess upgrading the PC would solve half of my problems, but I am waiting for Zen 2, which is still over half a year away :(
Last edited by Octopuss on 2018-12-04, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-12-04, 20:14

As said, as Facebook is only designed to work/to be compatible with Firefox and Chrome - it is best to use either one of that 2 browsers for this page or use the mobile variant.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-04, 20:23

I would say Firefox compat is NOT on the table.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-12-13, 10:51

Anyone knows if FB makes substantial use of WebGL outside of FB games? Wonder if enabling/disabling it makes a significant difference. It's enabled by default in Pale Moon but perhaps some of you disabled it (some websites recommend disabling it for security reasons).

about:config, webgl.disabled (default=false, which means WebGL is enabled). There's also webgl.disable-extensions but is probably secondary/irrelevant.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-12-13, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2018-12-22, 07:46

I have resorted to using Chrome for Facebook and Palemoon for everything else. I hate Chrome, but this is the only solution I've found. (Palemoon is horrible in every way for Facebook; IE is better but still crashes often, and it crashes even more in non-Facebook pages; Opera won't even start.)

This has improved my Internet experience dramatically. Instead of a dozen or so browser restarts daily, I'm down to about one every other day.

Keirnoth
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Keirnoth » 2019-01-01, 10:12

I hate to dig up an old thread but I ran into this problem trying to post to Facebook in Palemoon. Every time I tried to start a post it would automatically close in on itself.

If you just need to do something quick and brief on Facebook (mines was to wish everyone a Happy New Year) like someone suggested, simply go to the mobile version of the Facebook site:

https://m.facebook.com

Ironically enough this mobile site I feel is more cleaner, it loads WAY faster, doesn't slow down and it still has most of the basic functionalities of the site - feels kinda like the first version of Facebook.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-07, 06:11

The only problem I have with Facebook (I'm an intensive user) is that sometimes pages/comments/posts are not full loaded and in this case I must refresh the page
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2019-01-07, 11:20

badnick wrote:The only problem I have with Facebook (I'm an intensive user) is that sometimes pages/comments/posts are not full loaded and in this case I must refresh the page
Chromium browser do the same, especially with images.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-01-09, 11:25

Have you tried reducing cache to zero? prefs, advanced, network, override auto cache = 0

also, if you normally have LOT of tabs open, https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/lull-the-tabs/ will free the memory those use..
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-01-12, 11:44

You could also try the excellent Process Lasso, especially if you are on an old CPU. It might give you a little boost on FB. I use its Process Watchdog feature, to switch Pale Moon to "Above normal" CPU priority when it goes over 25% (and it does a lot on FB on my system), and back to Normal priority when it's below 26%.

PL has several free features, but note that this particular one will require the Pro version after the trial has ended.

pf2222

Unread post by pf2222 » 2019-01-13, 15:31

I'm using the mobile version on PC. The "box" cluttered design of PC facebook runs slow for whatever browser I have. I don't need the damn group bar on the left, I don't need a fancy chat box, game invites or suggestions. But the design of the news feed is what I like on the pc version so it's still ehh. But I blame that on facebook and my pc.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2019-01-14, 12:56

pf2222 wrote:I'm using the mobile version on PC. The "box" cluttered design of PC facebook runs slow for whatever browser I have. I don't need the damn group bar on the left, I don't need a fancy chat box, game invites or suggestions. But the design of the news feed is what I like on the pc version so it's still ehh. But I blame that on facebook and my pc.
You can get rid of all that on your PC using Facebook Purity with Greasemonkey. But Facebook still sucks in Pale Moon. So I've used Opera and other chrome based browsers for it. TBH though, because I am finally getting used to the other browsers and gradually resigning myself to making do without some favorite extensions and functions, I decided to try Firefox Quantum again. I think it is going to be just a matter of time before I migrate back to Firefox alone and bid Pale Moon a fond goodbye. Facebook just works in most other browsers. Period. And so does everything else. So having a separate browser just for Facebook doesn't seem logical anymore.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-01-14, 13:27

mommabear wrote:So having a separate browser just for Facebook doesn't seem logical anymore.
Having Facebook dictate your browser choice doesn't make much sense, either.

Also, "making do without some favorite extensions and functions" and switching to Chromium-based or FF to enjoy a faster Facebook doesn't seem logical from a Pale Moon-user perspective. Your choice, of course.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-01-14, 13:48

mommabear wrote:
pf2222 wrote:I'm using the mobile version on PC. The "box" cluttered design of PC facebook runs slow for whatever browser I have. I don't need the damn group bar on the left, I don't need a fancy chat box, game invites or suggestions. But the design of the news feed is what I like on the pc version so it's still ehh. But I blame that on facebook and my pc.
You can get rid of all that on your PC using Facebook Purity with Greasemonkey. But Facebook still sucks in Pale Moon. So I've used Opera and other chrome based browsers for it. TBH though, because I am finally getting used to the other browsers and gradually resigning myself to making do without some favorite extensions and functions, I decided to try Firefox Quantum again. I think it is going to be just a matter of time before I migrate back to Firefox alone and bid Pale Moon a fond goodbye. Facebook just works in most other browsers. Period. And so does everything else. So having a separate browser just for Facebook doesn't seem logical anymore.
Firefox... if you really think to go to Firefox, better use something like Vivaldi. That at least would make more sense ;) As Mozilla wants to make Firefox as Chrome-like as possible, it makes more sense to use an original instead of a fake-ware :D

Also, even on a medium quality computer, the loading time of Facebook lasts only some seconds. And while other browsers are indeed faster with Facebook, with Pale Moon you just have to need a couple of seconds more of patience until all is loaded.

01101001b

Unread post by 01101001b » 2019-01-14, 14:05

Ozzed wrote:I'm also having severe issues with palemoon and Facebook, usually when I scroll using the middle button and moving downwards, other pages will only stall every 2 seconds or so, but Facebook is very jittery and jerky and it stalls more often than every 2 seconds.
Hi! Same problem here BUT in Youtube (don't know about FB, I don't use it). Ah, and I'm using Pale Moon for Linux.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-14, 14:37

mommabear wrote:I decided to try Firefox Quantum again. I think it is going to be just a matter of time before I migrate back to Firefox alone and bid Pale Moon a fond goodbye. Facebook just works in most other browsers. Period. And so does everything else. So having a separate browser just for Facebook doesn't seem logical anymore.
You say you have Windows 7 but in another thread you posted a reply with a screenshot about a warning message from your OS wich it doesn't look like a windows 7 UI design , it looks like from an older version of Windows.
Attachments
Screenshot (724).png
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2019-01-14, 14:49

badnick wrote:
mommabear wrote:I decided to try Firefox Quantum again. I think it is going to be just a matter of time before I migrate back to Firefox alone and bid Pale Moon a fond goodbye. Facebook just works in most other browsers. Period. And so does everything else. So having a separate browser just for Facebook doesn't seem logical anymore.
You say you have Windows 7 but in another thread you posted a reply with a screenshot about a warning message from your OS wich it doesn't look like a windows 7 UI design , it looks like from an older version of Windows.
From that thread in October 2017. I've slept since then so I don't have any idea except perhaps the screenshot was taken in FF???
This has happened to me using Firefox and PM.
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2019-01-14, 14:53

backmoon:
Having Facebook dictate your browser choice doesn't make much sense, either.

Also, "making do without some favorite extensions and functions" and switching to Chromium-based or FF to enjoy a faster Facebook doesn't seem logical from a Pale Moon-user perspective. Your choice, of course.
Perhaps my choice of words was bad. I also had to learn to "do without favorite functions... things I just got comfortable with and preferred over others when many years ago I weaned myself from Internet Explorer. I switched for a variety of reasons. As I am now probably going to do again.

Sajadi:
Also, even on a medium quality computer, the loading time of Facebook lasts only some seconds. And while other browsers are indeed faster with Facebook, with Pale Moon you just have to need a couple of seconds more of patience until all is loaded.
Facebook isn't the only problem that I've been having in the last months although in my case, it is more than just a few extra seconds of loading. Facebook with Pale Moon can bring everything to a standstill for several seconds at a time many, many times. I've spent hours trying to "fix" performance issues with Pale Moon both in and out of Facebook, but mostly Facebook. It is the worst. If it's the fault of my older laptop running Windows 7 Home 64 bit, then so be it. I'm not into gaming or other high performance things to do on my laptop, so upgrading hardware wouldn't be cost effective for me. I do email, browse a few forums, search the web occasionally, and visit Facebook. So if Facebook gets much better by simply using another browser, why would I not switch?

badnick:
What OS do you have?
See above... or below at my signature. ;)
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-01-14, 15:08

mommabear wrote:So if Facebook gets much better by simply using another browser, why would I not switch?

If you think switching works better for you, then do it, everyone should use what works best for one's workflow :D But Firefox...

Mozilla totally lost their way, Compared to them, almost every browser developer is reasonable in a direct comparison :D