Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :( Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Facebook still utterly sucks in Pale Moon :(

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-14, 18:40

badnick wrote:
mommabear wrote:[...]
You say you have Windows 7 but in another thread you posted a reply with a screenshot about a warning message from your OS wich it doesn't look like a windows 7 UI design , it looks like from an older version of Windows.
Off-topic:
Windows 7 used with the classic theme looks exactly like the "warning message" in the screenshot you posted above.
W-Classic.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-01-19, 12:03

Perhaps it's just me, but I think FB works a little bit better with 28.3.0. Anyone else?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-19, 12:35

back2themoon wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I think FB works a little bit better with 28.3.0. Anyone else?
Wouldn't surprise me because FB is one of the major sites actually using IntersectionObservers to reduce JS/animation workload.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2019-01-19, 12:41

In my experience and with testing, AdBlock Latitude was the main cause of poor performance. I frequently received more and more choppy scrolling as I went down the feed, but after replacing it with uBlock Origin, Facebook now performs quite well. The new PM build has likely helped as well, but Facebook now performs quite well for me. Hence if you're using ABL, I'd advise replacing it if you use Facebook.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2019-01-19, 13:11

I am holding my breath because Facebook IS actually doing great this morning! I had been considering giving Pale Moon one more try with a complete removal and new profile, even though getting Pale Moon back with all my personal settings would be daunting. If this keeps up, then I can keep my profile as is.

I really do like Pale Moon and hated to change browsers. So I'm not giving up just yet.

Whatever happened, I am just grateful and I do appreciate Moonchild's hard work.
Thank you!
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2019-01-21, 01:12

I just gave up on PM and FB... most of the time things are slow and don't load properly, or load and then just disappear... I just use Chrome for FB... don't really use FB that much, but still, I just switch browsers when I'm on FB.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-01-21, 02:01

GigaWatt wrote:I just gave up on PM and FB... most of the time things are slow and don't load properly, or load and then just disappear... I just use Chrome for FB... don't really use FB that much, but still, I just switch browsers when I'm on FB.
I have said this before but same. The exact same. Plus Facebook doesn't even run that well in Chrome either. As for Firefox Quantum, well I can't tell you how well it runs there because the act of observing it alters the results.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-01-21, 04:03

My wife is on FB with Pale Moon every day and doesn't have any problems.

noface

Unread post by noface » 2019-01-21, 12:15

To get an idea of how bad the situation is, open up "Task Manager" and set it to show per-CPU performance.

Doing this, I see significant hit to CPU on a few threads when using palemoon when doing nothing more than "scroll down".

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-21, 13:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
GigaWatt wrote:As for Firefox Quantum, well I can't tell you how well it runs there because the act of observing it alters the results.
Doh!
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2019-02-08, 13:24

One example of why FB is so slow regardless of what browser you use:
Capture.PNG

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-02-15, 17:30

By the way, don't blame PM for Facebook. I use Firefox from time to time when I need to run with multiple profiles simultaneous for different sites ( in my opinion "containers" is the only improvement în Firefox ). Right today I had multiple browser crashes with Firefox on Facebook in certain circumstances (multiprocess enabled, entire browser crashed). I never had crashes on Facebook with PM 28.3.xx
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

grayhoose

Unread post by grayhoose » 2019-02-15, 22:52

switching from latitude to ublock fixed it!

NorrinRadd

Unread post by NorrinRadd » 2019-03-03, 08:09

At this point, I am essentially using Chrome as a dedicated FB browser, and PM for everything else. This is actually quite tolerable.

Even if I were willing to give up my favored extensions and such, Chrome would not be anywhere close to tolerable as a "primary" browser. It is a ridiculous memory hog once more than a handful of pages are loaded (Why the frothing hell are there, like, two dozen instances of it in Task Manager, when it only has about three tabs open?), and it completely chokes any time I try to use it to read at Daily Wire. (I don't spend a TON of time there, but I do read two or three articles a day.)

Meanwhile, it was not that FB was "slow" on PM. It was slow, jerky, freeze-y, crashy, and just generally miserable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-03, 11:44

NorrinRadd wrote:Why the frothing hell are there, like, two dozen instances of it in Task Manager, when it only has about three tabs open?
Probably because of something I saw discussed in Mozilla circles too: content separation. Apparently it's considered desirable to try and separate out all frames in their own processes now (so an ad in an iframe gets its own process, etc.). Insanity, I tell you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

devacharya55

Unread post by devacharya55 » 2019-06-21, 12:10

This won't be an issue for long I feel. Facebook is going to go out of trend in a few years for sure. People have already moved on to other better apps!

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-06-23, 17:10

As for Firefox Quantum, well I can't tell you how well it runs there because the act of observing it alters the results.
Bwahaha!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-06-24, 08:26

Facebook runs quite well for me on palemoon.I only have a 2gb 32bit computer and don't experience major issues.I use UBO and that's all. :D.

Although it is quite sad that people are so easy to jump ship merely because of one privacy invasive website..Browsers were not created JUST for facebook and it would seem facebook is geared more to firefox and chromium..Not a healthy web in my opinion. :(
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-06-24, 10:33

Me too. PM 32bit has seen some performance improvements recently on the responsiveness of scrolling down the main facebook page. My 2.5ghz core2duo with 4gb RAM runs well (whilst watching a youtube video in another window). Previous versions may have found FB to be a challenge but someone has made some improvements recently and it is now very watchable.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-24, 12:01

Any 28.* version of Pale Moon should be happy with Facebook. We support all the common JS standards for the web (with more additions in the pipeline) so these should not be any problems with FB on it at all.