Have to Overinstall Ad-Blockers after Major Releas Updates

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Have to Overinstall Ad-Blockers after Major Releas Updates

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2018-11-15, 19:14

This happens since 28.1. After having had installed this release parts of my Newswebsites (http://www.welt.de or http://www.wetter.com) i got some parts of Ads back what have been banned before. In ABL i event could use the Element hiding helper. After reinstalling both, everything worked fine again. And in addition: it doesn't help to update the Filter-List.

Now there is the same issue with version 28.2. - Some annoying Advertisement had its Come-Back. After overinstalling ABL and rebooting the Browser everything went fine again.

It's mentioned more for Information than needing help. But i'm really asking me, why this happens.

Thanks and best regards

PS and FYI: I am using also uBlock origin, sometimes together and often alternating with ABL - here i've also made an overinstall
Last edited by VevendoVides on 2018-11-15, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Have to Overinstall Ad-Blockers after Major Releas Updates

Unread post by adisib » 2018-11-16, 03:50

VevendoVides wrote: PS and FYI: I am using also uBlock origin, sometimes together
Don't use multiple ad-blockers at the same time. Picking one and sticking with it will work much better.

VevendoVides
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by VevendoVides » 2018-11-16, 20:09

Thank you, that's right and i'm knowing about that. But unfortunately it doesn't help me with my question why i have to overinstall everthing regarding ads since 28.1. and also manualy have to reload all lists. But it might be that i am the only one with that problem. Browser and add-ons are somehow really complex in interaction. Have a nice evening everyone here.

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2018-11-17, 10:12

That’s strange. I also use this combination of ad-blockers and did not notice those problems.

I would try this: Export the rules you have defined in your ad-blockers. Then uninstall both ad-blockers, restart browser and re-install them. Import your defined rules again.
Overinstalling probably retains the problems of an old installation.

By the way: Wherefore does one use two different ad-blockers? – For me it’s because of the really intricate handling that uBlock combines with its excellent function. If I want to define own rules, I mostly do it with ABL. ABL is much more intuitive to configure.
In older version the simultaneous use of this blockers caused browser crashes, but since ca. two years I see them cooperating trouble-free.