Palemoon becoming more sluggish as the day progesses? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Palemoon becoming more sluggish as the day progesses?

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-27, 07:51

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
Ozzed wrote: My experience is that during the beginning of the day, the browser is mostly fully responsive, though with some minor stalls and "microstutter" in the scrolling, but as the day progresses, the situation worsens with scrolling being smooth but the browsers coming to a complete stop every 3 seconds (scrolling completely stalls, then resumes to being smooth again for 3 seconds, then stalls for a second, then smooth for 3 seconds, rinse and repeat).
I had something similar with PM 64bit, I switched to the 32bit version and it went away completely. The 64bit operation appeared to swamp my puny hardware, same with FF 64bit. I have run PM 32bit version permanently and since then the problem has never returned. You could at least try it...
At that point I might as well run a different browser. I'm on a Ryzen 2700X, 16GB of DDR4 3600Mhz cl14 RAM and a Samsung 960 EVO. All other apps and games I run are smooth and snappy so it would feel very strange to run palemoon with 32-bit technology when I have a modern 64-bit processor that should be able to handle 64-bit programs just fine.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-11-27, 17:29

Ozzed wrote: At that point I might as well run a different browser.
Missing the point rather?
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-11-27, 18:40

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
Ozzed wrote: At that point I might as well run a different browser.
Missing the point rather?
I'm not sure what running the 32-bit version would solve. Even if it worked fine with 32-bit, it's not the version I would like to use so I'm not eager to try it unless the fact that the 32-bit version runs fine while the 64-bit version doesn't could provide information on what is wrong with my 64-bit version setup so that it could be resolved.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-11-27, 21:00

Suggestion: Perhaps it might help to identify the fault. Try the 32bit version - see if it works.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-12-06, 15:05

Moonchild wrote:Ozzed, if you have the time to do so and this set of changes fixes it, can you see if you can narrow down which of the setting changes is the biggest contributor to solving these issues for you? That way I can research if there is any improvement possible by default for everyone. Start with gc.compacting and gc.generational.
I have now had more time to test this, and unfortunately my conclusion is that the settings you provided doesn't help the Gmail issue. It doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't help either. I've isolated the issue to Gmail by using Chrome when accessing Gmail, and if the Gmail site is never loaded in Palemoon, the issue doesn't happen. I've been running Palemoon for several full days now with no issues, using Chrome when checking the mail, and then it doesn't happen, but if I open Gmail even once in a day using Palemoon, the sluggishnes comes back.

Is there anything else I can try? Since some people seem to have the issue while others don't, maybe there's something odd with settings or the profile for the users that are affected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-06, 16:36

I'm sorry but I have no other suggestions. I don't know why the new gmail leaks resources.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-12-06, 16:45

Ozzed wrote: I've isolated the issue to Gmail by using Chrome when accessing Gmail, and if the Gmail site is never loaded in Palemoon, the issue doesn't happen. I've been running Palemoon for several full days now with no issues, using Chrome when checking the mail, and then it doesn't happen, but if I open Gmail even once in a day using Palemoon, the sluggishnes comes back.
This is an exact mirror of what I have experienced and written here, except that my PM eventually will freeze completely after the sluggishnes.
So this will save you the inconvenience of testing with the 32 bit PM. I Use PM 32bit ;)

I notice that the release notes on v28.2.2 does not contain anything related to this problem.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-12-06, 17:08

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry but I have no other suggestions. I don't know why the new gmail leaks resources.
What is strange to me is that some users do not experience the issue despite using Gmail, One would think that if the problem is that Gmail leaks resources, all users that use Gmail with Palemoon would be affected but as far as I can tell that is not the case.

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2018-12-06, 20:07

I have a similar issue as you describe, which shows in pages like facebook and youtube. But after updating to the latest nvidia driver and restarting they mostly went off. It still feels sluggish sometimes but is much less frecuently.

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2018-12-10, 18:40

Pale Moon obviously has some memory leaks and/or similar issues.

I restart PM every few hours or so.

And restart my computer every couple of days or so.
Last edited by pmBill on 2018-12-10, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

José Labán
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by José Labán » 2018-12-10, 20:22

I have to rectify. I found that the culprit of the slugginesh was a greasemonkey script named Saveform.net helper, once I disabled it Palemoon returned to their original responsiveness. I tested Gmail and it worked just fine, however I don't have a lerge number of emails there.

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2018-12-10, 21:46

pmBill wrote:Pale Moon obviously has some memory leaks and/or similar issues.
It looks to me that way too, not exactly memory leaks, but as if something got stuck in the background. It looks like it may be at least two different issues, but often it's the combination of both:

a) High CPU usage. First what comes to mind is activity in background tabs, lot of websites are full of scripts that always do something. But even if I unload all tabs using Lull The Tabs and keep only one blank page, it doesn't always help and PM still uses almost one full CPU core.

b) Major lags in both UI and rendering. Even without significant CPU usage, everything is slow. Scrolling the page randomly stops for half a second. Closing tab (middle click on it), which normally happens immediatelly, takes one or two seconds from the click to actually close. Etc.

Problems are most noticeable with overscripted sites that are slow even under normal circumstances, e.g. PM's Patreon page which takes five seconds to fully load and render when things are ok, takes over ten seconds when PM is in this "slow mode". It also seems that visiting such heavy sites could be what makes PM break sooner, but I can't tell for sure.

There isn't any "what's my PM doing right now" statistics, is it?

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-12-10, 21:58

@ pmBill and Sob__

Do you use Gmail?

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-10, 22:01

I feel like the performance majorly degrades over time in the past few days too :(
Previously I thought it was just FB and Twitch being shit, but lately the entire browser feels annoyingly lazy.

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2018-12-10, 22:05

@PalleP: No Gmail here. But if it does something that PM doesn't like, another site can do the same thing too. It's hard to find what exactly it could be, especially for someone like me, who uses browser a lot and visits large number of websites every day.

pmBill

Unread post by pmBill » 2018-12-10, 23:48

PalleP wrote:@ pmBill and Sob__

Do you use Gmail?
I try to not use gmail or any web e-mail systems.

I have Firefox installed, and most of the other major browsers,
and I revert to them for some things when I have to.

I installed an extension that has Right-Click "Open with Browser XXX" options (Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Opera, and "View this Page in IE"), which helps sometimes.
Pale Moon just has too many issues anymore.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-11, 08:13

Also, lately, even typing does sometimes become unresponsive and CPU usage jumps by like 10%. Sometimes the whole browser freezes for a fraction of a second.
There's definitely something fishy going on.
This just makes no sense. There isn't even any video playing in t he background and as I am typing this, every third or fifth word or so I get a lag of sorts, say half a second "typing pause".

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2018-12-11, 09:28

Check third-party involvement, esp. security-related - just a 'bad' SpyBot hosts file could trigger excess risky traffic and associated kernel CPU activity (=lag).

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-11, 10:04

Definitely not the case :( I even disabled Windows Defender's realtime protection.
I only use about six extension too which shouldn't affect performance (Auto sort bookmarks, Copy plain text2, Guerilla scripting, Opendownload2, Session Manager and Ublock+its updater).

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-12-11, 10:13

Octopuss wrote:Definitely not the case :( I even disabled Windows Defender's realtime protection.
I only use about six extension too which shouldn't affect performance
Just a few posts above your own, José Labán says: "I found that the culprit of the sluggishness was a greasemonkey script named Saveform.net helper, once I disabled it Pale Moon returned to their original responsiveness."

So, in your installed extensions there is at least one that can potentially cause problems (Guerilla scripting).