Palemoon becoming more sluggish as the day progesses? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Palemoon becoming more sluggish as the day progesses?

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-05, 18:23

PalleP wrote:
Moonchild wrote: By default, the CC uses incremental collecting which can be disabled by setting dom.cycle_collector.incremental to false.
People suffering from the issue could see if flipping that pref changes the behavior for them or not. It could be better or could be worse if there is a change - please report.
I did that when you made the post, and it actually seems to help.
This is said with reservation because of the diffuse nature of this problem, but up till now I have not been able to stress PM and memory usage seems to act different (load/unload).
In a few days I will try logging into gmail and see what happens :crazy:

So, now a few days later, I can say for certain that this change is a great improvement. Further test will show if it is a cure.
But: The Gmail problem remains. I have just logged into Gmail and out again. Now I have erratic scrolling on this page (the only tab open) and about:memory shows that the damn ghost window is present.
Gmail.png

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-01-05, 18:45

PalleP wrote:
PalleP wrote:
Moonchild wrote: By default, the CC uses incremental collecting which can be disabled by setting dom.cycle_collector.incremental to false.
People suffering from the issue could see if flipping that pref changes the behavior for them or not. It could be better or could be worse if there is a change - please report.

So, now a few days later, I can say for certain that this change is a great improvement. Further test will show if it is a cure.

I agree, considerable improvement so far. It would appear the issue has been isolated.

Hmm81
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Hmm81 » 2019-01-05, 21:19

Hmm81 wrote:So the first beta release of 52 doesn't work with gmail correctly, showing the same issues as current palemoon versions show. The last alpha version 1/23/2017, doesn't seem to have that issue. Anyone want to try to confirm? Took me a couple hours to test various versions, so hopefully the info may lead to something.

edit: I didn't realize there was a difference between aurora and central builds, assuming that a2 was alpha 2. Anyways, after getting central nightlys to stop crashing by unchecking the multiprocessor option, I found out 10/25/2017 works although sometimes can be slow closing gmail's tab, stalling firefox for at least half a minute to a minute, but it looks like if there's a detached gmail window, hitting the garbage collection buttons works. 10/26/2017 and onwards don't appear to garbage collect correctly, although it looks like the stalling part doesn't seem to occur when closing the tab.

Not sure why the aurora developer mode builds seem to work...
Looks like I was wrong about ver 53, 54, 55, 56 fixing the issue, testing again it looks like the ghost window appeared consistently for all of them. I don't think it was ever fixed before ver 57 came out, since the last version 56.2 also didn't work.

I also wrote down the wrong dates for above. I meant 10/25/2016, etc. I tested out 10/25/2016 v52a01 briefly again, and it did appear to garbage collect correctly.

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2019-01-06, 00:43

Thanks to everyone: Rickkins and yami! And PalleP too

I will wait and see if more report positive reports come in as Rickkins did...before I change the perf suggestion of Moonchild..

Great work!

AND

Response to this off topic item:
Off-topic:
yami_ wrote:
Harvest Moon wrote:Thanks for trying to help me understand yami!
No problem.
Off-topic:
Harvest Moon wrote:My Windows 10 "defender" program stopped me from running the exe program...
https://i.postimg.cc/7YWFLDPK/Cant-run- ... nst-it.jpg
Guess I'm going to have to listen to those Microsoft designers as I don't want to make any more of this than just having sluggish typing annoying my Email and other web activities..
So in Windows 10 they started to call it Windows Defender SmartScreen? I guess this sounds scarier that Windows SmartScreen used in Windows 8. SmartScreen was originally a part of Internet Explorer that functioned similarly to Chrome Safe Browsing file scanning component. It works by sending some kind of application signature to Microsoft. After receiving the signature Microsoft servers will check if other Windows users downloaded this application and if the application is digitally signed the servers will check if the other applications signed with the same certificate where downloaded by Windows users. Based on those two checks a application reputation is created. If that reputation is to low Windows will display the scary warning dialog that you saw. This kind of download checking can be used to defend the user from fresh malicious applications that will not be recognized by a normal AV. So why was SmartScreen integrated in Windows Defender? You see, in Windows 8 Microsoft decided to give application developers an option to use Extended Validation certificates of code singing. EV certificates are more secure and more expensive versions of normal certificates. Because of that if a EV certificate is used to secure a TLS connection the web browser will display a green bar containing the organization name in the URL bar. If you use a normal certificate the bar will be blue and instead of organizations name a domain will be displayed. But what changes from the user perspective when you sign an application using a EV certificate? Nothing at all. And this is where SmartScreen comes in. When SmartScreen was integrated in Windows Defender it was modified to automatically give an application the reputation if the application itself is signed with an EV certificate. The application is still checked but if the same certificate was not used for malicious things the SmartScreen warning will never appear. Was SmartScreen integrated in Windows Defender to force developers to use EV certificates? I do not know, and Microsoft denies such accusations:
Microsoft wrote:Detractors may claim that SmartScreen is “forcing” developers to spend money on certificates. It should be stressed that EV code signing certificates are not required to build or maintain reputation with SmartScreen. Files signed with standard code signing certificates and even unsigned files continue to build reputation as they have since Application Reputation was introduced in IE9 last year. However, the presence of an EV code signing certificate is a strong indicator that the file was signed by an entity that has passed a rigorous validation process and was signed with hardware which allows our systems to establish reputation for that entity more quickly than unsigned or non-EV code signed programs.
Well I thank yami for all that information!

Explains a lot to me about why W10 acts the way it does in many respects!
Question (off off topic) just for Yami unless someone else wants to answer it....
I don't know why people just don't use Norton ?

It has a feature just like Windows Defender SmartScreen..which is even better when you have searched and are about to open a suspicious or unknown link---Norton Safe Search does not open up a window that STOPS you cold in your tracks...
It displays little green dots on any Google or other main search Engine (it does not do it right away with DuckDuckGo as its not standard search engine---but I have a cheated way to get it to examine those pages before I click on any so I get the warnings from my fancy Norton's when I had PMB running in W7) (ok ran off topic there)
I have used Norton/Symantec products for decades with little or no problems (YES I agree with reviewers, it runs HDD a bit more than many deems necessary YES I agree with reviewers that say it takes up more HDD space than other AV's out there..but it does so much more---(disk doctor section etc features) and reports back with full reports in regular English for all those who don't need the computerized Augean versions (vs others AV's Disk performance enhancer programs) that I've tried and abandoned over the decades---others were tried at workplace computers too I don't like)
I am right now using a product called "Webroot SecureAnywhere" by Best Buy co. I got it "free" for 1 year with my new product help plan and installing of the W10---so trying it out..
Does not help me economically as I already paid for my 1 year subscription for Norton---but that is covering 3 computers so its 1/3 wasted money....sigh...can't undo it...
But then again...either I keep Webroot (which is missing many features of Norton including that great Safe Search which I mentioned above) and expand it to the other computers or go back to 100% Norton usage...
I know Norton is not causing the problems with PMB as I don't have it working on new version of W10!
Because I spell bad went to look up spelling of a few things here...and found recent PC Mag (December 10 2018) article about AV software
and it has this to say about Widows Defender...you might want to add to your informational files....
Windows Defender? Maybe
Last year, the Windows Defender program built into Windows 10 evolved, like a Pokémon. It's now called Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center, because in addition to antivirus protection it manages Windows Firewall and other Windows security features. It doesn't truly qualify as a suite; it's just an antivirus that manages other Windows components. Independent antivirus test scores for Windows Defender have literally come in below zero in the past. They've been steadily improving, though they're still not the best. In our latest hands-on tests, it scored significantly better than in previous reviews. You can still get better protection from the best third-party free antivirus utilities, but Windows Defender is looking better all the time. Even so, it can't replace a full-scale security suite.
PalleP posted this new screenshot for all and finally I see what a "ghost window" looks like (not to say someone else could ahve posted this earlier in another thread on this..but I forget so this is my first view of what it looks like)
PalleP wrote:
PalleP wrote:

But: The Gmail problem remains. I have just logged into Gmail and out again. Now I have erratic scrolling on this page (the only tab open) and about:memory shows that the damn ghost window is present.

Gmail.png Image
[/quote]

So I add to your posting and analysis above that with all my edits on my long post directly above your quoted work here (after typing drafts on WordPad first) I have starting symptoms of the slowdown on PMB Forum editing page---and haven't touched my Gmail account since I began working on answering this about hour or so ago)...

Thanks!

Harvest Moon

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-01-06, 01:13

Unfortunately, tonight it is somewhat sluggish. Mind you, haven't had to reboot the browser, so....

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2019-01-06, 01:54

My configuration is Windows 10 x64, Palemoon 64-bit and Nvidia GTX 1070, if that could be of any help.

I have used chrome for opening mails in Gmail now for many weeks and haven't had the issue so it's most certainly Gmail-related somehow. Like others, closing and opening the browser again is not enough, only a system restart will remedy whatever is going on.

Also, I'm not happy with the rudeness of some users in this thread. I'm simply having an issue that I'm reporting in hopes to find a solution, I'm not angry or bitter, and being mean to people certainly isn't going to help resolve anything, so please people, be polite!

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2019-01-07, 21:31

Ozzed wrote:My configuration is Windows 10 x64, Palemoon 64-bit and Nvidia GTX 1070, if that could be of any help.

I have used chrome for opening mails in Gmail now for many weeks and haven't had the issue so it's most certainly Gail-related somehow. Like others, closing and opening the browser again is not enough, only a system restart will remedy whatever is going on.

Also, I'm not happy with the rudeness of some users in this thread. I'm simply having an issue that I'm reporting in hopes to find a solution, I'm not angry or bitter, and being mean to people certainly isn't going to help resolve anything, so please people, be polite!
Yes, Ozzed, agree with your last sentence above...I'm just trying to get this fixed for myself and others here too. Really like PMB and want it back again the way it used to work!

Yes Ozzed, you are correct, it is a requirement that you close whole computer OS and re-start the computer to fix it....Just closing or hibernating or restarting the PMB only does not stop the sluggishness once the computer experiences it!!

Now, for something new!
I was filling out a "seller question" form on Amazon website to ask a Seller a question (that means just like Gmail, I'm in my own account and sending and Email) ...and poof! It suddenly began doing the sluggishness! I had to stop typing in the box and move over to NotePad on W10 to complete my short message..
But! I learned something...The Amazon box began with I think 4000 characters and was working OK when I began, but as I used up more characters in the box--down to 3000 left to use...I experienced the sluggishness.... and that is also because I tend to type long no matter whom I'm typing to.

Wondering if less people are reporting this problem as if maybe (I wouldn't know as I type long)...but asking around...Does anyone experience sluggishness in 100 characters on Gmail or Amazon.com seller feedback/question box? Or is it something to do with the amount of usage the "box" gets?

Final additional new example...(yes jumped around here a bit) This box (reply to thread) started out right away being sluggish---but I kept at it as I had a few minutes to waste while I think of what to say here...and by now---this line (don't know how many characters it is) I can't get more than a word or two type...moving off to WordPad to finish this and post it!

Thanks for reading this extra detail stuff..
Harvest Moon

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-07, 21:56

Off-topic:
Harvest Moon wrote:I don't know why people just don't use Norton?
I guess that not all people want and/or need additional protection. In the end it is not the software that you use but your actions that keep you safe.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-01-08, 00:32

Harvest Moon wrote:Does anyone experience sluggishness in 100 characters on Gmail or Amazon.com seller feedback/question box?
I have had a couple of pretty long winded posts on the forum in the last few days
and did not experience any type of slow down on my end.

W7 64 bit, PM 32 bit.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-08, 15:33

Ozzed wrote: Like others, closing and opening the browser again is not enough, only a system restart will remedy whatever is going on.
For me it is always enough to restart PM. This goes both for the Gmail freezing and for the sluggishness. This bug is very confusing :crazy:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-08, 16:19

My problem is that I keep receiving lengthy and convoluted forum posts via Palemoon, could it be the fault of the browser? ;)
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-08, 19:09

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:My problem is that I keep receiving lengthy and convoluted forum posts via Palemoon, could it be the fault of the browser? ;)
Exactly the same here :lol:
Let us blame the browser ;)

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-01-12, 20:42

Rickkins wrote:
PalleP wrote:
PalleP wrote:

I agree, considerable improvement so far. It would appear the issue has been isolated.

Despite seeming to work at first, it has turned out to have no long term affect...

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-12, 21:30

Rickkins wrote: Despite seeming to work at first, it has turned out to have no long term affect...
It still seems as a major improvement here. I do however from time to time visit sites that gives "Gmail" behaviour of PM. The only cure is restarting PM.
These sites are now obviously the problem, before there was no way to see which sites gave problems. These sites do not create ghost windows in the memory.

Here is a site that gives problems for me, but only when PM has been running for hours. I open the site, go to submenues, scroll and open new tabs with things I find interesting.
Suddenly PM becomes slow and rather unresponsive. Closing tabs helps but the only way to get normal behavior of the browser is to restart PM.

https://www.marineparts.se/reservdelar/ ... e-johnson/

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-13, 18:12

PalleP wrote:Here is a site that gives problems for me, but only when PM has been running for hours. I open the site, go to submenues, scroll and open new tabs with things I find interesting.
Suddenly PM becomes slow and rather unresponsive. Closing tabs helps but the only way to get normal behavior of the browser is to restart PM.

https://www.marineparts.se/reservdelar/ ... e-johnson/
I left my PM open daily about 12-15 hours with 3 profiles simultaneous/ over 100 tabs and this morning I opened this site, browsing a lot trough and then I left open untill now. No sluggish signs.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-13, 19:47

badnick wrote: I left my PM open daily about 12-15 hours with 3 profiles simultaneous/ over 100 tabs and this morning I opened this site, browsing a lot trough and then I left open untill now. No sluggish signs.
Nice to know that you are one of the many that are not affected by this bug...

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-13, 21:05

PalleP wrote:
badnick wrote: I left my PM open daily about 12-15 hours with 3 profiles simultaneous/ over 100 tabs and this morning I opened this site, browsing a lot trough and then I left open untill now. No sluggish signs.
Nice to know that you are one of the many that are not affected by this bug...
It is important to know that the problem affects only a proportion of the user population, I too can say using the 32bit version of PM, I don't perceive a slow-down, 250 tabs or 9.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2019-01-13, 21:29

yereverluvinuncleber wrote: It is important to know that the problem affects only a proportion of the user population.
That can't be a surprice to anyone. Newcomers in this thread can just read previous posts, then they also know.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-14, 01:55

PalleP wrote:
yereverluvinuncleber wrote: It is important to know that the problem affects only a proportion of the user population.
That can't be a surprice to anyone. Newcomers in this thread can just read previous posts, then they also know.
...and we can all avoid facetiousness in the process and the thread will run better overall.

anvakl9

Unread post by anvakl9 » 2019-01-15, 13:23

Is this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1460385 related to this issue?
One of the comments mentions hangs on Google Inbox.
I don't think a lack of memory is the problem
Lack of memory is not the issue here. The hangs happen during GC and CC when there is a lot of stuff to be cleared from the memory.
how did you look at memory usage for Firefox

I have disableed e10s and set max content processes to 1. So I have only one process of firefox running.
I have realised that using task manager to measure memory usage is not proper. I will use about:memory from now on.
Off-topic:
Default value for browser.cache.compression_level in PM27 was 3 but it is 0 in PM28. Is this intentional?