stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 273
Joined: 2014-09-01, 15:11
Location: Milan Italy

stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-11-08, 10:04

When I connect to sites like https://www.atm.it/it/Pagine/default.aspx (out local transport agency), which I keep permanently in a tab, I note that the status bar displays continuously accesses to "syndication.twitter.com" (unless I press the PM Stop button ... of course if I do a refresh I have to stop again). I realize this might be a feature or misbehaviours from the site, but I wonde whether there aren't plugins or even better about:config options to disable such behaviour.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

snertev
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 251
Joined: 2014-09-23, 14:54
Location: Europe

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-08, 10:07

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:When I connect to sites like https://www.atm.it/it/Pagine/default.aspx (out local transport agency), which I keep permanently in a tab, I note that the status bar displays continuously accesses to "syndication.twitter.com" (unless I press the PM Stop button ... of course if I do a refresh I have to stop again). I realize this might be a feature or misbehaviours from the site, but I wonde whether there aren't plugins or even better about:config options to disable such behaviour.
You can use any adblocker to block that twitter request on that specific website by using that adblocker own syntax.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-11-08, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 273
Joined: 2014-09-01, 15:11
Location: Milan Italy

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-11-08, 12:26

The point is that (as far as I can see, I haven't looked at the page source), the transport agency page has an iframe or alike with a twitter clone, which reports messages on service disruption in near real time (and these are good). But then there is this plethora of update attempts which are sort of annoying (they seem not to change anything in the page but the status bar and the spinner in the tab bar are active, no idea if they overload the system or the net ... hmm apparently they do, the CPU load jumps 2 to 20% ). It is just those which should be suppressed.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

snertev
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 251
Joined: 2014-09-23, 14:54
Location: Europe

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-08, 12:56

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:The point is that (as far as I can see, I haven't looked at the page source), the transport agency page has an iframe or alike with a twitter clone, which reports messages on service disruption in near real time (and these are good). But then there is this plethora of update attempts which are sort of annoying (they seem not to change anything in the page but the status bar and the spinner in the tab bar are active, no idea if they overload the system or the net ... hmm apparently they do, the CPU load jumps 2 to 20% ). It is just those which should be suppressed.
With uBlock origin advanced mode you can block all third party iframe calls or just third party iframe on that website.

Instead, if you prefer a rather drastic partial solution is to set true for accessibility.blockautorefresh in about:config

There was a cosmetic way to disable the blinking reload button only, but I didn't remember the about:config entry. :(

Lucio Chiappetti
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 273
Joined: 2014-09-01, 15:11
Location: Milan Italy

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-11-08, 14:00

snertev wrote:With uBlock origin advanced mode you can block all third party iframe calls or just third party iframe on that website.
Instead, if you prefer a rather drastic partial solution is to set true for accessibility.blockautorefresh in about:config
Hmm, I am using adblock latitude as ad blocker, but only with external filters, never wrote one myself.
accessibility.blockautorefresh looks inspiring IF it allows the initial load, and disables continuous updating but ...
... can it be applied on selected sites only ?
... there are legitimate scientific sites which process data and refresh progress reports and I would not like to lose those
... there are trivial pages with meta http-equiv refresh (including some of my own CGIs) and I would not like to lose those as well
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

snertev
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 251
Joined: 2014-09-23, 14:54
Location: Europe

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-08, 14:32

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
snertev wrote:With uBlock origin advanced mode you can block all third party iframe calls or just third party iframe on that website.
Instead, if you prefer a rather drastic partial solution is to set true for accessibility.blockautorefresh in about:config
Hmm, I am using adblock latitude as ad blocker, but only with external filters, never wrote one myself.
accessibility.blockautorefresh looks inspiring IF it allows the initial load, and disables continuous updating but ...
... can it be applied on selected sites only ?
... there are legitimate scientific sites which process data and refresh progress reports and I would not like to lose those
... there are trivial pages with meta http-equiv refresh (including some of my own CGIs) and I would not like to lose those as well
Sincerely I don't if there is a way to bock a network element after the first call only.

Usually it's an always/never binary choice.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 153
Joined: 2018-02-14, 17:36

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-11-08, 15:08

This is a well known problem.
Find the solution here:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20553

Goodydino
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 497
Joined: 2017-10-10, 21:20

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-11-08, 18:19

There is a simple way to stop messages looping in the status bar. Use about:config and this setting:
dom.disable_window_status_change -> true

Lucio Chiappetti
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 273
Joined: 2014-09-01, 15:11
Location: Milan Italy

Re: stopping "twitter loops" on some sites ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-11-09, 10:38

PalleP wrote:Find the solution here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20553
Thanks. That (at the very end of the thread) did it. I disabled the addon "I dont'care about cookies" and inserted the filter in Adblock Latitude (the link marked Adblock plus worked for ADL).

Let's see whether it improves other problems with the annoying cookie directive (when buying railway tickets from the Trenitalia site I had to temporarily disable "I dont'care about cookies" because otherwise after login all controls remained shaded and inactive.

About the "way to stop messages looping in the status bar", will it stop just the messages, or the calls which generate the messages ?
Last edited by Lucio Chiappetti on 2018-11-09, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Locked