PM slows to a crawl whenever I try a bookmark backup, which fails anyway

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM slows to a crawl whenever I try a bookmark backup, which fails anyway

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-01, 17:09

If y'all feel this is such a big deal that it needs to be addressed with changes, then I can just say that patches to that effect are welcome. An informational message shouldn't be too difficult to implement with carefully chosen wording, and somehow manipulating the script watchdog to not pop up for this one function. Research will be required on the latter part.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

VLMin
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-01, 17:33

Thank you, Tomaso.

Goodydino
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-11-01, 18:41

I back up bookmarks regularly to a location outside of the profile in both formats, and it is not a problem. I block favicons, which may explain why it is so fast for me. Several hundred favicons in html format might slow things down a bit.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-11-01, 18:54

Goodydino wrote:I block favicons, which may explain why it is so fast for me.
No.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p155342

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-11-02, 15:16

Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.

VLMin
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-14, 17:22

therube wrote:Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.
Sorry for my delay in responding. That is a helpful suggestion, thank you. Certainly a much faster approach!

VLMin
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-24, 22:56

therube wrote:Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.
Thank you for this suggestion; I have begun backing up this file regularly. While doing so, I notice two other files, places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal. What are these files, and should I be backing them up alongside the main places.sqlite file?

Thank you!