PM slows to a crawl whenever I try a bookmark backup, which fails anyway

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM slows to a crawl whenever I try a bookmark backup, which fails anyway

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-01, 17:09

If y'all feel this is such a big deal that it needs to be addressed with changes, then I can just say that patches to that effect are welcome. An informational message shouldn't be too difficult to implement with carefully chosen wording, and somehow manipulating the script watchdog to not pop up for this one function. Research will be required on the latter part.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-01, 17:33

Thank you, Tomaso.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-11-01, 18:41

I back up bookmarks regularly to a location outside of the profile in both formats, and it is not a problem. I block favicons, which may explain why it is so fast for me. Several hundred favicons in html format might slow things down a bit.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-11-01, 18:54

Goodydino wrote:I block favicons, which may explain why it is so fast for me.
No.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20754#p155342

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-11-02, 15:16

Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-14, 17:22

therube wrote:Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.
Sorry for my delay in responding. That is a helpful suggestion, thank you. Certainly a much faster approach!

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-11-24, 22:56

therube wrote:Note that if simply having a copy of places.sqlite will meet your needs, there then might be no need to deal with importing or exporting.
Thank you for this suggestion; I have begun backing up this file regularly. While doing so, I notice two other files, places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal. What are these files, and should I be backing them up alongside the main places.sqlite file?

Thank you!