Pale Moon and Netflix

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Pale Moon and Netflix

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-10-25, 19:10

I have never used Netflix, but they have a free 30 day free trial offer and I got curious. Their site is not very user friendly for information, it seems they want you to join to find answers. So can anybody who knows about using Netflix and p M please answer a few quick questions? I would want to watch using my PC which I may or may not connect to my TV at times (it is not a smart TV).

1. Does Netflix work with Pale Moon 27.9.4 and/or 28.x? I have no other browsers on my PC and will not download them just to use a site.
2. I refuse to store cookies on my PC and I normally block all trackers, beacons and widgets from loading. I can allow specific widgets through if I want. Would this make it impossible for me to use Netflix?

I am curious about Netflix, but I am not willing to change my online habits to be able to use it. Thanks for any info you can provide.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon and Netflix

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-25, 19:21

1. It works as long as you have the Silverlight 5 NPAPI plugin installed.
2. Netflix requires that you allow everything from their owned domains or the website and/or streaming will break. Blocking cookies and blocking data streaming hosts as "third party" will prevent the site from working.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-25, 19:24

Highly unlikely to work if you run a VPN.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-10-25, 19:47

Thanks for the answers.

I have lived happily wIthout Netfllix so far. I guess I can continue on that path and not really care.

Just to be clear, I do allow per session cookies, but I do not permit any cookies to be stored on my box. I do not do tabbed browsing, I prefer multiple windows. When I am done with a site I close its window at which time all cookies are cleared as is the cache for the site. I actively delete history for my Hard drive P M and for the Portable version I operate in private browsing mode and never store anything.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-10-25, 19:53

From time to time, when starting a stream, I get a message that says that "something went wrong".
When this happens, simply refreshing the page fixes it right away!
This not a Pale Moon issue though, because I've seen it happen with other browsers too.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-10-25, 20:19

I do have another option. I use Verizon FIOS as our triple play provider. They have dedicated what they call a virtual TV channel for Netflix. One must have an account and password with Netflix. On FIOS one goes to the virtual channel, enters their Netfix info and then it is possible to access Netflix via FIOS TV. This function requires that one has the FIOS multi-room DVR, which we do. I see little difference between this process or what I would do if I accessed the Netflix site from my PC and had to log on every time I visited.

As for using Netflix with a VPN, it is not all that big a deal, you just need one of the VPNs that work with Netflix. I am looking at Vypervpn for myself and it is on the list of those which work with Netflix you can read about which vpns to choose if you want to use Netflix with them: https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-netflix-vpn

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-25, 20:27

TwoTankAmin wrote:As for using Netflix with a VPN, it is not all that big a deal, you just need one of the VPNs that work with Netflix.
Oh. OK. I'm sure you're right. Enjoy.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-10-25, 21:11

I have no knowledge nor experience with vpns and Netflix as I have used neither so far. I have been trying to research them to choose which one made sense for me to use. I was merely pointing out that according to techradar, it is possible to have a vpn and use Netflix. Perhaps techradar has no clue? Are they known to be uninformed and should one, as a rule, mistrust what they say?
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 2018-10-25, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-25, 21:38

TwoTankAmin wrote:I have no knowledge nor experience with vpns and Netflix as I have used neither so far.
Might it not be a good idea to avoid sharing your opinions, then?
TwoTankAmin wrote: I have been trying to research them to choose which one made sense for me to use. I was merely pointing out that according to techradar, it is possible to have a vpn and use Netflix. Perhaps techradar has no clue? Are they known to be uninformed and should one, as a rule, mistrust what they say?
I can but refer you back to your newbie vpn thread here a few months back, where you started by asking for recommendations and ended by dismissing all comment as being from anonymous internet users.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-10-26, 09:43

TwoTankAmin wrote:
Just to be clear, I do allow per session cookies, but I do not permit any cookies to be stored on my box. I do not do tabbed browsing, I prefer multiple windows. When I am done with a site I close its window at which time all cookies are cleared as is the cache for the site. I actively delete history for my Hard drive P M and for the Portable version I operate in private browsing mode and never store anything.

You can still watch Netflix, just means you'll need to log in everytime you use it.

Good luck trying to find decent/trustworthy VPN that NF will work with...

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-10-26, 18:15

Having to log on every time I visit a site is one of the ways I maintain my privacy. I store little history and no passwords. I do not care if I have to log onto Netflx every time I use it. I would be doing this from my PC so doing it from my TV is no different. Protecting one's privacy online is mostly an issue of what one does not do more than anything. For example, Facebook cannot steal my data or allow it to be hacked or accidentally revealed if I do not register on Facebook.

Here are my e[xact words from the thread to which doofy referred:
I am jaded. I no longer trust anything online that I cannot confirm independently.
That is not the same thing as saying i do not trust anything.

I do not wish to get into a forum fight but I would offer some information.

This is from thebestvpn site which I questioned:
TheBestVPN is a reader-supported website.

We earn commissions from some of the services and products listed on this site.

This happens when you click on our affiliate links (explanation) and end up purchasing following VPN providers below. An affiliate link is a unique link provided to affiliates to promote an online service (or a product) that is then used to credit sale commissions to the affiliate.

CyberGhost (http://www.CyberGhost.com)
Private Internet Access (http://www.PrivateInternetAccess.com)
NordVPN (http://www.NordVPN.com)
Perfect-Privacy (http://www.Perfect-Privacy.com)
ExpressVPN (http://www.ExpressVPN.com)
Trust.Zone (http://www.Truzt.zone)
IPVanish (http://www.IPVanish.com)

This is used by most of the “VPN reviews” type of website on the Internet. Unfortunately, it’s often hidden away, so that people would think they do not earn any commissions – which isn’t true.

Our Mission

We are three passionate online privacy enthusiasts who decided to dedicate their free time testing different VPN providers.

We’ve done this since 2015 and all our reviews are unbiased, transparent and honest.
from https://thebestvpn.com/advertiser-disclosure/
(Note: The above page did not exist at the time of my original VPN post. I had to contact them for this info.))

Now, here are the top 10 VPNs recommended by thebestvpn:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best “All Round” VPN
2. NordVPN – Best “Cheap” VPN ($3.99/mo)
3. Perfect-Privacy – Unlimited Simultaneous Connections ($10.49/mo)
4. CyberGhost – Great Features, Average Speed ($3.50/mo)
5. Trust.Zone – Fast VPN w/ Small Server Network ($3.33/mo)
6. Mullvad – Most Anonymous Signup Process ($5.89/mo)
7. ibVPN – VPN, Proxy & Smart DNS All In One ($4.83/mo)
8. IPVanish – Secure & Fast, US Based, No Live Chat ($6.49)
9. Private Internet Access – Affordable & Fast, No Netflix, US Based ($2.91/mo)
10. Windscribe – A Fantastic VPN… With a Catch ($3.70/mo)

Compare the two lists and reach your own conclusions.

On the other hand techradar is part of Future plc a publicly traded UK based publishing company. Their family includes 138 publications. They have been around since 1985 if I remember right. Have a look at them on these 2 pages:
https://www.futureplc.com/who-we-are/
https://www.futureplc.com/brands/

When I come to this forum and ask for help and I get replies, I have to evaluate the quality and reliability of them. The same applies to websites like thebestvpn or techradar. So when doofy writes about VPNs and Netflix
Highly unlikely to work if you run a VPN.
I have no reason to accept this statement on its own. I also have no reason to doubt it. I am left with having to try to independently verify its accuracy. I cannot Google doofy to learn about who this person is or what qualifications are involved. What I am able to do it to research the bestvpn and techradar. I suggest interested folks do the same. Consider the number of people working at each organization, consider their relative levels of experience, consider how each earns money and decide for yourself which source is likely be more trustworthy. I would note that in their reviews thebestvpm does include information on how the vpns under review work or don't with Netflix. For their list of the top 10 vpns, they indicate that 7 work with Netflix, one does not do so and 2 did not mention Netflix. So from what I can see, there are a number of vpns which will work to some extent with Netflix and this information is readily available to users shopping around for a vpn..

I can say this, the one person on this sites whose information and recommendations I trust the most is Moonchild. I would trust Tobin if I could understand what he was talking about, most of it goes way over my head. While I may not be very tech savvy, I do know how to drill down on the quality if information sources. If one wants good information on almost any topic one does not go to Google search, they go to Google Scholar to search the scientific literature. Much of this is way over the head of the average person without the requisite background, but it is where the actual science is. For example

A Review Paper on MPLS VPN Architecture
Tejender Singh Rawat, Manoj Kumar Pandey, *Upendra Kumar
1, 2, 3 - Assistant Professor, ECE Department, ASET, Amity University Haryana
nternational Journal of Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Sciences
http://www.ijetmas.com May 2015, Volume 3, Issue 5, ISSN 2349-4476
http://www.ijetmas.com/admin/resources/project/paper/f201505071430974592.pdf

The above article is highly technical, but the information in it is a lot different from what one might glean by doing a plain vanilla Google search. I can also say that I have used Google Scholar to learn a ton about the microbiology of nitrifying bacteria which keep aquariums from killing the inhabitants. I am a fish keeper and breeder (a hobby). When I had issues with fish dying in shipping bags i found research on this. I was able to contact the lead researcher with a couple of questions and received an informative reply. So here was a Ph.D. willing to deal with a lowly lay person.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-10-26, 18:20

If you use a VPN that offers site filtering, you can exclude the Netflix IP from being filtered through the VPN.

I do this with several sites that simply refuse to work with a VPN or proxy.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-27, 09:11

TwoTankAmin wrote:Protecting one's privacy online is mostly an issue of what one does not do more than anything.
Well, yes, Chris - but I invite you to consider that scattering personal info around the internet like confetti is not exactly conducive to privacy.

Many months ago, I informed you that I could be on your doorstep inside a couple of days if I were so inclined. As usual, you ignored me.

That vulnerability might satisfy your definition of "online privacy" - it certainly don't satisfy mine.

NotFunny

Unread post by NotFunny » 2018-10-27, 15:47

TwoTankAmin wrote:Here are my e[xact words from the thread to which doofy referred:

Was that the thread where Proton VPN was discussed, did you ever try it?

KC013
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by KC013 » 2018-11-18, 01:54

I had Netflix working just fine until this latest update (28.2.1). Now I can get to the Netflix main page, but nothing will play. I went to the Siverlight page and it says I have to get a browser that supports Siverlight and shows download links. I downloaded the version linked, but when trying to install it says I already have the same version installed.

ALL other browsers work just fine, therefore something was broken with 28.2.1......

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-18, 05:51

KC013 wrote:I had Netflix working just fine until this latest update (28.2.1). Now I can get to the Netflix main page, but nothing will play. I went to the Siverlight page and it says I have to get a browser that supports Siverlight and shows download links. I downloaded the version linked, but when trying to install it says I already have the same version installed.

ALL other browsers work just fine, therefore something was broken with 28.2.1......

Works fine for me.. I just love how people blame Pale Moon EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMNED TIME.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-18, 05:53, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-18, 07:20

Off-topic:
Oh no, the infamous Gorn scene!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-18, 07:25

KC013 wrote:I had Netflix working just fine until this latest update (28.2.1). Now I can get to the Netflix main page, but nothing will play. I went to the Siverlight page and it says I have to get a browser that supports Siverlight and shows download links. I downloaded the version linked, but when trying to install it says I already have the same version installed.

Funny, since nothing was touched in regards to plugin/media playback between 28.2.0 and 28.2.1.
Also, confirmed Pale Moon 28.2.1 happily plays Netflix through Silverlight.
Attachments
Image1.jpg

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-11-18, 11:25

Moonchild wrote:Pale Moon 28.2.1 happily plays Netflix through Silverlight.
Still works just fine at my end too.

PS:
New Tobin Paradigm has posted a picture of me, without my permission!
:)

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-11-18, 12:09

I've just updated to 28.2.1 and I can confirm that Netflix plays fine :thumbup: