Preferences -> Contents -> Fonts & Colors Settings Don't Stick / Win 10

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Preferences -> Contents -> Fonts & Colors Settings Don't Stick / Win 10

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-10-20, 19:40

As my signature indicates, I generally use Win 7 Pro x64. However, a friend recently gave me an Intel NUC to fool around with, so I decided to install Win 10 Pro x 64. I think I now have build 1803 or something like that.

I've just noticed that in PM stable, PM unstable, and Basilisk, changes that I make to Preferences -> Contents -> Fonts & Colors Settings don't stick. I've tried it on all three several times.

Is this a known issue, or something specific to my machine? I've searched the Forum, but didn't find anything.

Did I miss something?

Thanks.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Preferences -> Contents -> Fonts & Colors Settings Don't Stick / Win 10

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-22, 15:18

Looks like those settings are stored in prefs.js.

And that should then mean that no Pref changes would persist, or at least you've only indicated a particular are where they don't.

So...

Start PM in Safe Mode, "persistent" safe mode; add -safe-mode to the end of your desktop shortcut.

Make a change, say, Default font: -> Sylfaen, & then, Colors-> Visited, make it Red.

Quit PM.

Check prefs.js for:

user_pref("font.name.serif.x-western", "Sylfaen");
user_pref("browser.visited_color", "#FF0000");

Start FF (still in -safe-mode).
Check those two settings in Content | Fonts & Colors.

Did they persist?

If so, then look at your extensions which may be overriding.
Last edited by therube on 2018-10-22, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-10-23, 12:25

therube wrote:Looks like those settings are stored in prefs.js. ...
Thank you for your kind reply. I apologize for my delay in responding.

I also apologize for not providing "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" in my original post.

All the versions of PM and Basilisk I run are zips. I merely copied and pasted the ones on the Win 10 machine from one of my Win 7 machines. All work as expected on the latter.

To be more precise, and (I hope) to display that I generally know what I'm doing, I copied the Win 7 PM stable and Basilisk program directories into my "Programs" directory on the Win 10 machine. Then, I copied the "Moonchild Productions" directory from my Win 7 C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Roaming folder - which contains the profiles - to its counterpart on the Win 10 machine. I did the same for the unstable portable version, the only difference, of course, being that the portable folder contains the profile for that version; it is not in the "Roaming" folder.

When I get a bit more time, I'll go through the steps that "therube" has kindly provided.

That's all for now.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-23, 13:34

JoeyG wrote: To be more precise, and (I hope) to display that I generally know what I'm doing, I copied the Win 7 PM stable and Basilisk program directories into my "Programs" directory on the Win 10 machine.
You mean the "Programs" directory reserved by Win10 for programs?
Create a directory on your drive that is not a system folder and see if it will work now as expected.