Help with PayPal Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DrTeeth

Re: Help with PayPal

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2018-10-14, 07:12

If PayPal (PP) once worked and then suddenly does not on several users' PCs, without the PM user changing anything at their end, why are people being advised to make changes to their system? Clearly, something is up with PP and not PM.

Cheers

DrT

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-14, 08:16

DrTeeth wrote:If PayPal (PP) once worked and then suddenly does not on several users' PCs, without the PM user changing anything at their end, why are people being advised to make changes to their system? Clearly, something is up with PP and not PM.
1. Nobody alleged that Pale Moon is to blame.
2. Nobody suggested changes to the system (OS).

While prefs.js is a file generated by Pale Moon it is also a file to which third party code has access as well.

As for PayPal while it could be the culprit, would you bet your ass that they are discriminating users according to their IP and prefer to hurt their own business by doing so?

DrTeeth

Unread post by DrTeeth » 2018-10-14, 10:54

gepus wrote: 1. Nobody alleged that Pale Moon is to blame.
2. Nobody suggested changes to the system (OS).

While prefs.js is a file generated by Pale Moon it is also a file to which third party code has access as well.

As for PayPal while it could be the culprit, would you bet your ass that they are discriminating users according to their IP and prefer to hurt their own business by doing so?
1) Tacitly they did, by suggesting the changes that they did.

2) "Changes to their system" is NOT just making changes to their OS. It could even be painting the case red or changing their mouse!

That several people popped up with sudden PayPal "your browser is out of date" messages points the finger away from our computers.

You are being very silly with your last comment. Nobody suggested that it was deliberate! Accidents happen and that the issue is *clearly* at PayPal's door does not infer guilt or liability.

Cheers

DrT

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-14, 11:57

Speaking of silly comments:
DrTeeth wrote:"Changes to their system" is NOT just making changes to their OS. It could even be painting the case red...
Or painting a penguin on the case making Linux out of Windows.
DrTeeth wrote:"your browser is out of date" messages points the finger away from our computers.
Whether it's the case here or not, that message can be triggered by some browser setting as well.
Wonder if you can grasp that. Probably not.

EOD
Have a nice day.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-14, 21:18

DrTeeth wrote:If PayPal (PP) once worked and then suddenly does not on several users' PCs, without the PM user changing anything at their end, why are people being advised to make changes to their system? Clearly, something is up with PP and not PM.
ijurisic wrote:I now on widows can't to open page paypal.com. Very strange, I have that problem this morning on my linux.
There's been a pattern for some people that the problem resolves but then returns.
Take a read through this thread: PayPal - Your browser is out of date.

For some people, the login problems might occur because whatever the reason, paypal somehow got tickled the wrong way.
In the thread linked above, for one person verifying the account with paypal seemed to be an enduring solution (see posts in that thread, 1,2,3).
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-10-14, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-14, 22:20

gepus wrote:
ijurisic wrote:I delete cache and cookies and still have problem: Your browser is outdated
Which country are you connecting from?

Anyway, you could try following steps:
- delete your cache and your PayPal cookies
- close Pale Moon
- rename prefs.js to prefs.js.bak (the file is located in your profile folder)
- start Pale Moon and check if you can log in now

If you still can't log in revert the change made before:
- close Pale Moon
- delete the new automatically created prefs.js and rename prefs.js.bak to prefs.js
I'm from Croatia. I delete cache and cookies, close pale moon rename prefs.js , open pale moon and still have problem.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-14, 23:50

ijurisic wrote:I'm from Croatia. I delete cache and cookies, close pale moon rename prefs.js , open pale moon and still have problem.

In addition to clearing cache and cookies, try deleting (or renaming, as with prefs.js) local/DOM storage and indexedDB storage - i.e. anything where paypal might store information about you/your account.
Close Pale Moon: For local storage, rename webappsstore.sqlite -> webappsstore.sqlite.bak; for indexedDB storage, rename the storage folder/directory -> storage.bak. Start the browser, see if it helps.

Or -
Re-verifying your account might solve it:

Try paypal's "password help" system ("Having trouble logging in?"): https://www.paypal.com/authflow/password-recovery/.

Before trying it, either make a vanilla Firefox user agent override for paypal, or just use Firefox itself.
(I can log in to paypal fine with both native and compatibility user agent modes, but to use the password help system must sometimes spoof a mainline browser - because that page sometimes redirects to the "outdated browser" message)

Or else contact them via: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-10-15, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-17, 08:50

On windows I delete complete Pale Moon directory with all settings and still I can't to login in paypal account, now I on job have Debian 9 GNU/Linux and I normal login in paypal account. Very strange. :cry:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-17, 09:05

Try logging in with another browser, and then try with Pale Moon again. In any case, send PayPal a message about this.

Here's what I just did:

1. Tried Pale Moon: "outdated browser" message
2. Tried Firefox: PP requires an SMS or phone call verification. I don't know if this is due to the failed login above or because I'm currently in a different location than usual.
3. Successfully logged in with Firefox after the SMS verification
4. Tried Pale Moon again: successful login
5. As a test, logged out of Pale Moon and tried logging in again: success

Go figure...
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-10-17, 09:07, edited 2 times in total.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-18, 06:02

back2themoon wrote:Try logging in with another browser, and then try with Pale Moon again. In any case, send PayPal a message about this.

Here's what I just did:

1. Tried Pale Moon: "outdated browser" message
2. Tried Firefox: PP requires an SMS or phone call verification. I don't know if this is due to the failed login above or because I'm currently in a different location than usual.
3. Successfully logged in with Firefox after the SMS verification
4. Tried Pale Moon again: successful login
5. As a test, logged out of Pale Moon and tried logging in again: success

Go figure...
I tray that and still fail.

1.I delete Pale Moon settings folder
2.Download firefox portable version
3. Login paypal with firefox portable, close browser
4. Then try with Pale Moon and still fail

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-18, 08:51

Maybe it's a regional thing.

Type in the address bar about:config and hit enter.
Right-click and add a New String:

name: general.useragent.override.paypal.com
value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

Check if it works now.

ijurisic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by ijurisic » 2018-10-18, 22:35

gepus wrote:Maybe it's a regional thing.

Type in the address bar about:config and hit enter.
Right-click and add a New String:

name: general.useragent.override.paypal.com
value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

Check if it works now.
Bingo !!! Now works !!! Thanks lot

I add value "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:99.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.9 (Pale Moon)"

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-18, 22:53

Today it works fine for me with the default user agent (Firefox mode). I logged out/in several times and also deleted history/cookies.

Perhaps they fixed something... or not.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-19, 09:45

Another day, another PayPal test. They didn't fix anything, getting "Outdated browser" on both regions I tried.

The good news: gepus's user agent works, so hopefully it will put this issue to rest. :thumbup:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0