New user Addon questions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
snowflake

New user Addon questions

Unread post by snowflake » 2018-10-11, 09:06

Hello everyone
This is my first time using Palemoon, coming from Firefox & used to running NoScript or Umatrix add-ons, could not find neither on Palemoon add-on page, I'm wondering if there are any equivalent/similar addons to these two, or should I look into alternative ways of installing them?

yami_

Re: New user Addon questions

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-11, 11:49

IIRC the last version of uMatrix compatible with Pale Moon is 1.1.4. The last NoScript version compatible with Pale Moon is 5.1.9. The only way to install those add-ons is downloading them manually from linked websites. Since the bootstrapped version of NoScript is still supported and the NoScript's install.rdf contains a valid updateURL Pale Moon will automatically update the add-on if needed. This cannot be said about uMatrix, because the bootstrapped version of this add-on was discontinued after the 1.1.4 release.
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-10-11, 19:33, edited 5 times in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-11, 18:13

I have successfully installed uMatrix 1.2.0 and it's working perfectly (or, at least, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary).
About NoScript, please be aware that the Pale Moon developers don't offer official support when that extension is installed.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-11, 19:28

Interesting. I was not able to find an official bootstrapped version of uMatrix after 1.1.4 release.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-10-11, 19:53

I’m using uMatrix 1.1.4 which works fine (much better than NoScript which used to break web pages a lot when I was still using it on Firefox).

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 00:06

yami_ wrote:Interesting. I was not able to find an official bootstrapped version of uMatrix after 1.1.4 release.
I don't use uMatrix but my best guess is that you didn't find because there is none.
uMatrix 1.2.0 is a Web Extension as far as I can see.
It might work with Pale Moon though.
The latest version of uBlock written for Quantum would probably also work (it works with Firefox ESR 52.9.0 which I tested once). However it has a limitation compared to its legacy counterpart. As soon as you switch to private mode browsing, you'll lose your updated filter lists. This is by design since the location where the filter lists are stored, has changed.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-12, 06:51

yami_ wrote:Interesting. I was not able to find an official bootstrapped version of uMatrix after 1.1.4 release.
You have to get the source code from GitHub, then use the make-firefox script to build a version compatible with Pale Moon.
1.2.0 is the last working version though, the others have errors here and there.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-12, 06:59

So even though they stopped providing the official builds it was still possible to manually compile the bootstrapped version of the add-on? Weird...

snowflake

Unread post by snowflake » 2018-10-12, 14:02

Thanks guys, I installed Umatrix 1.1.4, removed it, then installed 1.20, I can't see any difference, I suppose there is no reason to go with 1.1.4 instead is there ?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-10-12, 21:13

snowflake wrote:Thanks guys, I installed Umatrix 1.1.4, removed it, then installed 1.20, I can't see any difference, I suppose there is no reason to go with 1.1.4 instead is there ?
You have to compile the XPI yourself, but that aside, no, just stick with 1.2.0.
Of course, it's absolutely not maintained and if there is a bug you're on your own, but it's still better than one minor version behind I'd say.
yami_ wrote:So even though they stopped providing the official builds it was still possible to manually compile the bootstrapped version of the add-on? Weird...
It's mostly because the 1.2.0 isn't yet fully WebExtension, but contains unmaintained code that still makes it "legacy".
In particular, among the "make-" scripts there is one for WebExtensions and one for "Firefox", which for our purpose means "aimed at Pale Moon".
Actually, this "dead code" actually exists for a number of newer releases of the 1.2 series, but 1.2.0 is the only one that works properly (the others are more and more WebExtension-oriented).

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-12, 21:35

Thanks for the explanation.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-15, 15:46

I can't see any difference
The linked page does tell you differences.
And you can view earlier "release notes" by looking at other release "tags".